Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Please get out and vote on Thursday!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Default Please get out and vote on Thursday!

Brexit was voted for but hasn’t happened. Britain’s ruling Conservative government has failed to deliver it. The Labour opposition can’t agree on whether it wants it or not. Parliament is deadlocked.

The political vacuum has been happily filled by a familiar face who played a major role in bringing about the EU referendum in 2016, and the outcome.

Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party has been surging ahead in opinion polls in the run-up to the European Parliament elections. This is despite the fact that the party is only weeks old and has no detailed policies.
    It’s thought a successful result for the new party could push Britain’s ruling Conservative government to pursue a harder Brexit. The UK is now due to leave the EU on October 31.
    Farage’s objectives go beyond getting the UK out of the EU. The veteran Eurosceptic now says he also wants “to change politics for good.”

What explains the Brexit Party’s appeal?

The European vote has given Nigel Farage a perfect opportunity to tap into widespread public anger at the Brexit delay and the parliamentary paralysis. Nearly three years after the referendum, these are the elections the UK was not expected to fight.
    Amid the political turmoil, public opinion has polarised still further. Just as pro-EU supporters have been emboldened in their opposition to Brexit, anti-EU and English nationalist sentiment has hardened too.
    Farage has successfully established clear blue water between his new movement and the UK Independence Party he once led. Since he left, UKIP has had several leaders and has openly flirted with the far-right.
    In contrast, Brexit Party enthusiasts highlight the diversity of its candidates, who include people from a variety of ethnic, social and political backgrounds.
    But there is little doubt that for many people, much of its appeal is down to the charisma of its leader and his message.
    Despite the anger and frustration, Brexit Party events have been rather joyous, festive occasions. Halls and stadiums have been packed. People attending have said they feel “let down” by the two main parties, “sick” of being misrepresented by “remainers”, and that the failure to implement the Brexit vote is “threatening democracy”.
    Both the main parties are feeling the heat, suffering badly in recent local elections. A survey of Conservative Party members found 60 percent were planning to vote for Brexit Party candidates at the European ballot. The Labour opposition’s ambiguous stance on Brexit has dented its appeal to voters on both sides of the divide.
    Many at the rallies, but by no means all, are middle-aged or older – while the Brexit Party is forecast to do well in more affluent districts as well as working-class areas, particularly in England.
    It attracts support from both the right and left. Audiences in traditional Labour strongholds have warmly applauded Ann Widdecombe, a Brexit Party convert who made her career on the right of the Conservative Party

What is the Brexit Party’s plan?

Anti-Brexit protester stands next to Brexit Party campaign placards. REUTERS/Toby Melville

Where in the past political parties have been pilloried for vagueness, Nigel Farage has made a virtue of his lack of a detailed programme. The Brexit Party has no manifesto, he says, because “manifesto equals lie”.
    “We will talk about all those things after the 23 May,” he said recently. “Right now… we are fighting and campaigning to make sure that we can be a free, independent, self-governing, democratic nation.”
    The European Union is no longer even his main theme. In a Brexit Party election broadcast, the EU isn’t even mentioned until towards the end. Instead, candidates describe how they feel “betrayed” and “humiliated” by politicians, leaving democracy “under threat”.
    “Our task and our mission is to change politics for good, to change all aspects of politics in this country,” Farage told the campaign launch. So far there are few details of what that means.
    Polls suggest that many who voted to leave the EU have been increasingly lured by a “no deal” Brexit – a departure without any agreement on the withdrawal terms or future relations.
    Its advocates have increasingly pushed for a clear break from the EU to trade on World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms.
    “The only way we can deliver the democratic will of the people is to leave on WTO terms,” Farage told the BBC. “Once we do that, the European Union will be banging our door down to have a sensible, tariff-free deal.”
    The UK could leave the EU and then negotiate new arrangements afterwards, he said in a recent TV interview.
    Farage’s claim that he argued for a no deal Brexit before the EU referendum is disputed.

What would ‘leaving on WTO terms’ mean?

Pro-Brexit economists and politicians argue that as most global trade is done on WTO terms, the UK could open up to the world while still maintaining access to EU markets.
    The counter-argument – expressed by many other economists, business groups and politicians – is that a “no deal” Brexit would be an act of reckless folly, causing immediate disruption and damaging the economy.
    They contest Farage’s claim that the EU would quickly strike a free-trade deal with the UK. The British government says the EU would treat the UK as “a third country”.
    The EU is the UK’s largest trading partner. By quitting the single market and customs union, Britain would be free to implement its own trade policy.
    But in the absence of a deal with the EU it would also face new barriers such as tariffs and regulations. Dozens of EU trade agreements with non-EU countries would no longer apply to the UK.
    Analysts and British economic sectors reliant on close, smooth arrangements with Europe have warned that being forced to adapt to new rules overnight brings dangers. Among those sounding alarm bells are manufacturing industries – including the car, food, chemicals and pharmaceuticals – as well as the health service, tourism, and financial services. There have also been warnings over farming and fishing – despite strong support for Brexit from within these two sectors.
    Ann Widdecombe – a Brexit Party candidate for southwest England – dismissed fears that Devon farmers may be put out of business as “project fear mark two”.
    Nigel Farage has argued that the UK could slash tariffs on imports, helping poorer people by making food and clothes cheaper. Such claims have also been disputed by commentators and economists.
    The Brexit Party leader also rejects fears that a no-deal Brexit would lead to extra delays at borders, saying tariffs could be logged online and on mobile phones. “Business finds a way through every different situation,” The Guardian quoted him as saying.
    A UK-EU free trade deal would render the Irish border “a non-issue”, Farage has claimed, because there would be no excise duties to collect and any future differences in specification could be easily dealt with.
    He also believes a hard border should not be necessary because Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic already manage without one, despite different currencies and tax rates.
    Many trade experts and Brexit analysts reject the repeated denials among some Brexiteers that the Irish border problem is real, as well as their suggested solutions.

What about areas other than trade?

If the UK left the EU with no deal on the terms, existing legal arrangements would abruptly cease to apply. It would affect many aspects of everyday life – from travel between the UK and the EU, to security, crime and terrorism.
    The government’s most senior civil servant has warned that a no deal Brexit would lead to a recession and price rises, and harm Britain's security apparatus and legal system.
    Nigel Farage argues that a no deal Brexit would allow the UK to “make its own laws, have its own courts and control its own borders”.
    He has repeatedly argued for EU nationals who moved to the UK before Brexit to be able to stay – but he has criticised the British government’s plans for citizens' rights in the event of no deal.

I've been a paid up subscriber for nearly 5 weeks, I signed up the 2nd day the party was started.

My postal vote is in and I'm begging you to get out and vote for the Brexit party. Whether you want Brexit or not its deeper than that. This is about democracy and changing this 2 party system that is failing and will continue to fail the people of Britain.

Your vote matters, let's get the Brexit party in the EU commission to stir up the pot. We will soon have new politicians and not the career politicians we already have who do nothing but work for their own self gain.

It's time for change, it's time for everyone to vote against the establishment.

Sent from Thames Iron works

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

11milesoffshore (21-05-19), CityDweller (20-05-19), Dr Green (21-05-19), El Muchos Grande (22-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (20-05-19), ggotch (20-05-19), Greengrass (23-05-19), happyjack (21-05-19), IceCalibur (20-05-19), M_C (20-05-19), Pablo (21-05-19), Subterranean Man (20-05-19), thelastrebel (20-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Wikipedia have The Brexit Party in 3rd place with Tory & Labour tied at 18 seats each - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_E...United_Kingdom

Are we seeing a start of another stitch-up as these are actual seats not projected seats? Someone has jumped the gun for sure!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-05-19), Dr Green (21-05-19), El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), happyjack (21-05-19), Ironman (20-05-19), Subterranean Man (20-05-19), thelastrebel (20-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,368 Times

I'd be interested to know what you mean when you say UKIP "has openly flirted with the far-right" Irons. I've never been quite sure what far-right and alt-right are actually meant to mean, other than just anyone the BBC doesn't like on the internet.

I will be voting on Thursday but I hope nobody will mind me keeping it to myself who I'm voting for and why - you never know who you might antagonise talking politics in a message board format!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thelastrebel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-05-19), El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), Greengrass (23-05-19), happyjack (21-05-19), Ironman (20-05-19), jumpman233345 (21-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Wikipedia have The Brexit Party in 3rd place with Tory & Labour tied at 18 seats each - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_E...United_Kingdom

Are we seeing a start of another stitch-up as these are actual seats not projected seats? Someone has jumped the gun for sure!
    I've just seen that, looks like someone had the crystal ball out again.

And we all thought it was the Russians that where rigging elections pmsl

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-05-19), El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), Greengrass (23-05-19), happyjack (21-05-19), M_C (20-05-19), Trex (23-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thelastrebel View Post
    I'd be interested to know what you mean when you say UKIP "has openly flirted with the far-right" Irons. I've never been quite sure what far-right and alt-right are actually meant to mean, other than just anyone the BBC doesn't like on the internet.
    I'm assuming that to be a reference to Tommy Robinson? For some reason, people like Camila Batmanghelidjh are acceptable yet Tommy isn't... funny old world!

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (21-05-19), CityDweller (20-05-19), El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), Ironman (20-05-19), thelastrebel (20-05-19), Trex (23-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I'm assuming that to be a reference to Tommy Robinson? For some reason, people like Camila Batmanghelidjh are acceptable yet Tommy isn't... funny old world!
    Yeah maybe. I'm not necessarily a fan of Tommy but it says a lot about the current state of our media that he can literally have bricks thrown at him by an enraged mob screaming religious slogans and yet they still paint Tommy as the extremist for suggesting that religion might sometimes be a problem. Where's Christopher Hitchens when you need him?

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thelastrebel For This Useful Post:

El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), happyjack (21-05-19), Ironman (20-05-19), M_C (20-05-19)

Thanks

I will be voting on Thursday but I hope nobody will mind me keeping it to myself who I'm voting for and why - you never know who you might antagonise talking politics in a message board format!
    I have to say, the BBC has also brainwashed me into believing that far right, is extremism of any kind. I wouldn't say far right is good or bad imo, just extreme views that go against the grain of the modern world we live in.

Personally, some of Mr Robinson views I agree with, others I dont. As for Gerard Batton, he openly admits he's only UKIP leader because nobody else wanted to be leader. Why would anyone vote for a party when its leader doesnt really want to be there?

For me, this is about changing the 2 party system we have in this country, and bringing down the EU at the same time. Both the EU and our parliament are not fit for purpose and the only way to stand against them is to vote Brexit party.

In my part of the country many people I speak to, young and old will not stand for a 2nd referendum, which ever way you dress it up.

God only knows what will happen should this be put through.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), M_C (20-05-19), thelastrebel (20-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    I have to say, the BBC has also brainwashed me into believing that far right, is extremism of any kind. I wouldn't say far right is good or bad imo, just extreme views that go against the grain of the modern world we live in.

Personally, some of Mr Robinson views I agree with, others I dont. As for Gerard Batton, he openly admits he's only UKIP leader because nobody else wanted to be leader. Why would anyone vote for a party when its leader doesnt really want to be there?

For me, this is about changing the 2 party system we have in this country, and bringing down the EU at the same time. Both the EU and our parliament are not fit for purpose and the only way to stand against them is to vote Brexit party.

In my part of the country many people I speak to, young and old will not stand for a 2nd referendum, which ever way you dress it up.

God only knows what will happen should this be put through.

Actually if anything I quite liked that about Batten - he seems to be legitimately coming from a place of standing up for what he believes in rather than trying to build a career for himself. Jon Snow didn't want it either...

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thelastrebel For This Useful Post:

Bundy75 (20-05-19), El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), Ironman (20-05-19)

Thanks

Extremism is extremism. Don't confuse it with political persuasions! IMHO you will find more left wing extremists than right wing, solely due to the fact that we live in a left wing society that indoctrinates our children into thinking left wing agenda

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), happyjack (21-05-19), Ironman (20-05-19), thelastrebel (20-05-19), Trex (23-05-19)

Thanks

Actually if anything I quite liked that about Batten - he seems to be legitimately coming from a place of standing up for what he believes in rather than trying to build a career for himself. Jon Snow didn't want it either...
    I'm on the fence with him tbh, before that comment about "nobody else wanting it" I thought he was straight to the point and concise with his answers and attitude. Since he became leader, he tends to dance around straight answers and always looks like a rabbit in headlights when coming under fire from anyone with a small amount of political knowledge.

For me, Farage is the only man that can shut Junker and Tusk down. I view the EU as a peaceful version of a Hitler regime. We have all had the wool pulled over our eyes for far too long, Merkel pulls all the strings and that twat Macron loves it.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

El Muchos Grande (26-05-19), G' (21-05-19), GEORGE (21-05-19), Trex (23-05-19)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast