Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Veins & Nutrient Burn

Thanks

Finally got some photos of my grow for you which is 12 days old today (from being planted into the soil). This is my grow setup (note the lights are circled in red, so you can see the distant from the plants & note the fan, is pointing at the ground (so not directly at the plants) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1001.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	373489

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1015.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	373490

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	373492

Name:	DSCF1013.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	373496

Note the nute burn only came about in the last day or two, and I wonder if that might be due to residual nutes being left in the soil after previous grow attempts? On my next attempt I will try a completely fresh batch of soil, but for now I need your advice over why my plants are not growing and why there is yellowing around the edges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibsey For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-19), Greengrass (24-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

Heyup can you move the temp meter to somewhere neutral so not influenced by the light and fan and not near the pot, wait 10 minutes and what does it say then?
    When was the last time you watered and how much
    And lastly are you using domes for the plant
    Simple to makeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	5242019191334.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	373497

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-19), ibsey (24-06-19)

Thanks

Hi Greengrass,

Just moved the temp gauge as you suggested and it still give the samish reading as before (25 Degrees C & around 70% RH). I last watered that plant on Saturday morning with 300ml (circling around 4 inches from the stem). I am not intending to water the plant until Thrusday at the earliest (which will be 5 days from Saturday). Obviously that is provided the pot is totally dry.

I did use the dome after you first mentioned it, but I didn't see much of a effect, and feared the bottle cap bit was reflecting light away from the plant? Do you get this with you dome, or is this to be expected & normal?

FYI someone on another forum suggested I take steps to warm up the soil, which I hadn't considered and thinking about it my floor does tend to be a bit cold especially in the mornings. So I'm going to buy a heat pad and see if that is the problem.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibsey For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-19), Greengrass (24-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibsey View Post
    Hi Greengrass,

Just moved the temp gauge as you suggested and it still give the samish reading as before (25 Degrees C & around 70% RH). I last watered that plant on Saturday morning with 300ml (circling around 4 inches from the stem). I am not intending to water the plant until Thrusday at the earliest (which will be 5 days from Saturday). Obviously that is provided the pot is totally dry.

I did use the dome after you first mentioned it, but I didn't see much of a effect, and feared the bottle cap bit was reflecting light away from the plant? Do you get this with you dome, or is this to be expected & normal?

FYI someone on another forum suggested I take steps to warm up the soil, which I hadn't considered and thinking about it my floor does tend to be a bit cold especially in the mornings. So I'm going to buy a heat pad and see if that is the problem.
    That's sound on the temps and humidity pal
    The domes work leave the caps off though
    Either spray the inside of the dome or just dip the whole dome in water and place on top, give the crust under around the stem a light spray

It doesn't need too much light at the minute, what you want is it reaching for the light and to get more solar panels out as soon as with an auto
    Too intense at light right now can actually work against
    That's why people use smaller lights like cfls for the first week or two
    Last edited by Greengrass; 24-06-19 at 10:03 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-06-19), ibsey (25-06-19)

Thanks

And heat pads shouldn't be needed right now if you in the uk with this heat, I use mainly when starting in winter and I use a hamsters heat pad, bang it in microwave for 10 minutes and stays hot for hours
    I do raise my pots though all the time to expose the drain holes for air circulation just an inch or two
    You can run your lights 24 hours or 20 /4
    Ive done 18/6 but seemed to lose on buddage so I'm back on 20/4
    Last edited by Greengrass; 24-06-19 at 10:20 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks and will give the domes another go as per your kind advise above. Would you recommend I put the dome on as soon as the seedling comes out of the shell? Also how long should I leave the dome on for? (i.e. which day / how many nodes should the plant have?)

I will also try raising my pots to expose the underneath drainage holes to better air circulation, which is another thing I hadn't considered. With all of these ideas, I'm much more hopeful now about seed 22 chances of pulling through than I was a few days ago. FYI I'm also running my lights on a 20/4 schedule.

Of course I will keep you updated (with photos).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibsey For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-06-19), Greengrass (25-06-19)

Thanks

As soon as the plant has shown above the soil get a plastic dome on ( not glass) and remove when the leaves touch the sides although I've made a dome out of 2 litre pop bottle to give a bit of extra time in one (growing in a cupboard hard for me to control humidity)
    And no food mate

Name:	524201918170.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	373514
    4 weeks old and only just gave her its first feed and only because its started flowering

Are new leaves developing since you posted those pictures mate?
    Last edited by Greengrass; 25-06-19 at 07:25 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smile

Thanks and will take your advice on the domes.

Amazingly seed number 22 seems to be pulling through and is looking in a healthier state than I have seen her be, since day 7. The yellowness is starting to disappear and the leaves are now not curling and it seems to have grown a small amount. Usually my plants are at deaths door by this stage, so I am very happy & have you Greengrass to thank for this!!!! :-)

Having said that the nute burn has spread a little bit, but hopefully that will only affect yield rather than the health of the plant. Would you recommend I cut off the burnt tips of the plant (I read this avoids the plant spending energy of the burnt areas), or will this stress out the seedling?

Hope the nute burn is just down to the residual feed in the soil (from previous grow attempts) and will use fresh soil, when next potting up to see if that is the case because I've NOT give seed 22 any nutes yet. Also the plant is still very small for what you would expect but at least it seems to be recovering.

If I was to guess what the problem was which caused my issues, I would say it was either the cold floor & / or having my LED lights a touch too close to it. Because in the last couple of days I've put a warm blanket underneath the plant pot and raised my lights and the plant noticeably responded positively to that change most. But I did also re-implement the dome around the same time, so it could be a combination of those 3 things which have contributed towards the amazing turn around of seed 22.

I would also say giving the plant more of a fresh draft/air has helped but not as noticeably as raising the lights & heating up the floor & the dome. But I def did notice a perk up in the plant.

I will post pictures of the plant shortly (when I get a chance).
    Last edited by ibsey; 25-06-19 at 10:19 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibsey For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-06-19), Greengrass (26-06-19)

Thanks

Below are photos taken just now

The setup photo shows the warm blacket underneath the plant pots, raised lights & domes all which seem to help.

Views:	52 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	373534Click image for larger version. 

Views:	52 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	373534

This is seed 22 at the end of day 13, which has a bit of nute burn...but seems to be on the road to recovery (fingers crossed)

Name:	DSCF1003.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	373535

This is seed 23 which is 4 days old. I don't know the strain or whether it is an auto or photo seed....basically I was given it by my local "head shop" after telling them my growing woes. They said to practice with this. Again I will just feed this water for the first 4 weeks, but will be interested to see if this also suffers nute burn (again it is in previously used soil). On future grows I will use fresh soil each time to avoid possibly getting nute burn from residual nutes from previous grows.

Name:	DSCF1004.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	373536
    Last edited by ibsey; 25-06-19 at 11:00 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibsey For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-06-19), Greengrass (26-06-19)

Thanks

Hi mate first off don't cut anything it'll more than likely shock it and slow it down just focus on the new growth as damaged leaves never recover
    And your right probably a combination of lights too close and the feed plus the overwater has slowed it down
    Just feeding water will bring the soil back in line
    Yes it is under developed for its age but use it as a teaching aid but could surprise you if you get it right from here on
    Seed 23 looks sweet so keep doing what your doing
    Shame you don't know if it's an auto
    Just remember when they slow down after a few days it's not that your doing something wrong it's just finding it's feet under the soil then take off again when's it's ready to

I can recommend a couple of short term autos I've grown that I know only take 70-80 days from seed to harvest filling a good few jars
    Dinafem Fruit auto 12% thc but damn good smoke
    Fastbuds gorrila glue auto 23% thc
    Both cost around £13 for 3 seeds £16 with postage so cheap as chips
    And I use seedsman for ordering allways arrive in 3 days
    Last edited by Greengrass; 26-06-19 at 08:45 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-06-19), ibsey (26-06-19)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast