Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fungus gnat or fruit fly?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,948 Times
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: Fungus gnat or fruit fly?

Hi all, looked into my tent earlier and noticed a very small bug buzzing around and found a dead one on a leaf... I’ve not really noticed anything munching on leaves, or more than the two... but I don’t want it to turn into an infestation thinking it’s just a fruit fly
    Never had this kind of problem before, so what would be the best approach to getting rid of em?

It’s a shockingly bad photo, it was so small and hard to photograph. Hopefully it helps though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. "I'm in the States, but it doesn't look like a fruit fly to me, unless your fruit flies are a bit different over there. I have used a flea fogger to kill off any infestations that I have found, and the foggers use Pyrethins, which are made from crushed/dried flowers and break down pretty quickly in the soil and plant. I'd make sure to see what kind of bugs they are, as they might not be harmful at all."

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Itslittyofc For This Useful Post:

CaptainChronic (22-06-19), CityDweller (22-06-19), Cleargreen (06-07-19), GEORGE (22-06-19), IceCalibur (22-06-19), UpInSmoke1990 (22-06-19)

4. Default

Damn I wish I could help you here mate but I honestly can't make out what it is from that photo.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (22-06-19), Cleargreen (06-07-19), Dr Green (06-07-19), GEORGE (25-06-19), Itslittyofc (22-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Damn I wish I could help you here mate but I honestly can't make out what it is from that photo.
    Ahh oh well mate, I’ll try get a better photo if I find another one. Doesn’t seem to have bothered the plants too much though so far

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itslittyofc For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (06-07-19), Dr Green (06-07-19), GEORGE (25-06-19), IceCalibur (22-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times
    Provided Answers: 9

Might as well get some yellow sticky paper down. Makes it a bit easier to monitor

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (06-07-19), Dr Green (06-07-19), GEORGE (25-06-19), IceCalibur (22-06-19), Itslittyofc (22-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    Might as well get some yellow sticky paper down. Makes it a bit easier to monitor
    Yeah mate I’ll get some tomorrow, might help get some better photos too

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Itslittyofc For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (23-06-19), Cleargreen (06-07-19), Dr Green (06-07-19), GEORGE (25-06-19), IceCalibur (22-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Itslittyofc View Post
    Ahh oh well mate, I’ll try get a better photo if I find another one. Doesn’t seem to have bothered the plants too much though so far

From my experience with fungus gnats you can't really tell if they are hurting your plant or not.
    My groom has been infested with them starting my previous grow and I started my current grow while that one was still winding down so I didn't do any pest management or cleaning in between. Aside from a bit of yellowing on older leaves she looks pretty healthy and has been growing very well.

Even so it may very well be that it causes a reduction in yield as my previous grow was lower than what can be expected from the light I'm using. But considering my quite experimental set-up and seed production that is hard to judge.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (06-07-19), GEORGE (07-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,186 Times
    Provided Answers: 2

Not looking like a fungus gnat from the photo. They usually leave a mark on the leaves

They're annoying little things ain't they, got a problem in my smaller grow box with gnats lol.

Gaz has made a really useful organic recipe to keep them out. I believe he uses neem oil and horticultural soap and sprays the plants with it Wouldnt do it late flower though

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dr Green; 06-07-19 at 04:14 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (06-07-19), GEORGE (07-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Master Kief View Post
    Not looking like a fungus gnat from the photo. They usually leave a mark on the leaves

They're annoying little things ain't they, got a problem in my smaller grow box with gnats lol.

Gaz has made a really useful organic recipe to keep them out. I believe he uses neem oil and horticultural soap and sprays the plants with it Wouldnt do it late flower though

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Tiny white specks of some sort, I've noticed that as well.

And yes I'm aware of using neem based products (in the soil generally to kill the larvae and break the reproduction cycle) but I refuse to use that stuff as it has been linked to Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS) although there is some debate about that.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (06-07-19), GEORGE (07-07-19)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 4

I'm in the States, but it doesn't look like a fruit fly to me, unless your fruit flies are a bit different over there. I have used a flea fogger to kill off any infestations that I have found, and the foggers use Pyrethins, which are made from crushed/dried flowers and break down pretty quickly in the soil and plant. I'd make sure to see what kind of bugs they are, as they might not be harmful at all.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (06-07-19), GEORGE (07-07-19), M_C (06-07-19)

Live West Yorkshire. Originally from South Yorkshire - tha no's
    Thanks

I had the same problem. I also noticed tiny white specks on the leaf. I took a leaf and put it under a microscope. It was then that I could see the tiniest mites on the leaf which was causing the white specs. I found a recipe online for a natural bug killer. I forget the entire ingredients but I know it had cayenne pepper in it. It was amazing, it exploded the mites on contact. Was able to continue a very successful grow. My advice is pick a leaf off with the white specs and have a magnified look. You will not see the mites with an unaided eye. Once you establish whether there are mites on the leaf? Search online for 'homemade bug spray' and blast the fuckers. Hope this helps and good look with the grow.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roystontheo For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (09-07-19), GEORGE (08-07-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast