View Poll Results: I would be interested in automating my grow with such a system?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

19 73.08%
  • False

7 26.92%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cheap & Simple Growroom Automation!

Thanks

Default VAT Paid

Paid the VAT earlier on the package from the states, I estimated about £25 (taking into consideration unreasonable fees etc.) - It was £36.xx due to some ParcelForce Charge! Unbelievable! Anyways it's paid and they should arrive tomorrow ... um, later today!

:P
    I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.

Thanks

Default Some Brainstorming Results...

OK cool, got my package from the states and have finally begun construction - some practical hands on rather than just theory! Also got the RS CD ROM now and their website is back up and running (kind of... it's intermittent!) so I've sourced almost all the components I'm going to require for the various units, however, on my first visit to the RS warehouse shop I discovered that I can only purchase over the counter if I am trade

It seems I can place an order online for collection as I am registered, but I can't 'just' drop in... I have a business that I can register with though and I only need a letterhead apparently so I will do that when I go down to collect my items.

I'm going to insert here some of the results of my brainstorming over the last couple of weeks - please give your opinion...

I have decided to use the 1-wire bus as the basis for the system due to its simplicity, it's inexpensive compared to other methods and can be used over longer cable lengths.

The system will consist of a number of modules/units that can be built up individually to suit the users specific needs or purchased in a package format ie. starter package, ph control package, nutrient control package, etc.

As far as I can determine, there will be three main types of module...
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

1. Controller Module - Each system requires either one of these to function.

Option 1. A Core Unit which has RF capabilities (ie. remote shutdown and remote unlock via RF keyfob) and does not need a PC to operate, although a computer will be required to program it....OR....
    Option 2. Serial interface - requires always on PC connection. No RF functionality.

2. Sensor Modules - Each system can include as many of these modules as required. The modules below are the INPUTS to the system and provide all the real-time information to control the OUTPUTS.

Humidity/Temperature/Solar Module *
    Liquid Temperature Module *
    Moisture Module *
    * These modules could be combined with a relay unit to operate appliances like fans, pumps, humidifiers, etc.
    pH Module **
    TDS Module **
    ** Use these in combination with the Peristaltic Pump Modules to dose your tanks
    Ionisation Sensor Module [Fire] ***
    Flood Warning Module ***
    Motion Detector Module ***
    Door/Window Status Module ***
    *** These modules would ideally be used with the GSM Module for sending text alerts when something could be wrong.
    Float Module [Detects current water level]

3. Control Modules - Each system can include as many of these modules as required. The modules below are the OUTPUTS to the system and are operated by the core unit/pc based on real-time data from the INPUT Modules.

Door Lock Module
    CO2 Doser Module [would require additional equipment eg. co2 tank etc]
    Relay Module [Four 13A sockets - No hard wiring]
    GSM Module
    Peristaltic Pump Module *
    * Combine with pH and TDS Modules for complete nutrient maintenance and control.
    Water Valve Module **
    ** Toying with this one... Control the flow of mains water - designed for use with the Float Module.

Other accessories required to complete the system...

Cables to connect between modules - Necessary.
    Hub - May be necessary depending on requirements.
    Power Injector - Some Modules require an extra power source. May be necessary.
    RJ45 Coupler - May be required to extend cable lengths.

I will be looking for help with the following in the future ...

Building a suitable standalone unit (The Core Unit) that will be able to store a number of days worth of data, send sms messages, maybe act as a web server too?? Help on this will be much appreciated.

I am looking at various pH and TDS sensors - any help with this.

May need help with Netbeans & Java at a later stage.

Does anyone have any contacts within the industry ie commercial growers, grow shops, I thought it may be an idea to contact someone like Growell or another large retailer to see if they may be interested in funding the development of the system in return for some exclusive distribution rights or something?? In any case, I will be needing help with distribution, marketing, I can build a good website, packaging, pcb manufacture... ah! there's a question mark - Anyone who can help with pcb manufacture... would it be cheaper to make my own or get em made n China or similar?

... if you think you might be able to help in any way, please message me, add me as a buddy - just get in touch.

Also, anyone wishing to invest some capital into this project is more than welcome to get in touch.

Thanks

although i cant really help ya mate, i do think you've done a bang on job so far, and a really hope you get rewarded for all your hard work man!

its been thoroughly interesting thus far!!

Thanks

Cool

Im with bitter on this one mate, it's all way over my head. But very very interesting none the less.

I know greens sell a BlueLab CF Truncheon & PH Meter that measures TDS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkdj2003 View Post
    Im with bitter on this one mate, it's all way over my head. But very very interesting none the less.

I know greens sell a BlueLab CF Truncheon & PH Meter that measures TDS.
    I actually use one of the CF Truncheons at the moment. Only had it a couple of months but seems to working a treat so far. Quick and easy! Highly recommended.

Thanks

There is already products on the market that do this - IntelliDose is one.

They certainly aren't as cheap as that though...so if you couldhook it up for that...well...count me in!

green_machine
    THERE"S NO EXCUSE FOR IGNORANCE

GROW HARD!

Grow Diary - Celtic Stone & Lemon Stinky & White Russian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by green_machine View Post
    ...certainly aren't as cheap as that though...so if you could hook it up for that...well...count me in!
    Without actually knowing ALL the costs involved at the moment, it is difficult to put a price on the modules but just to give you all an idea, these are the prices I am aiming to achieve.

1. Controller Modules
    Standalone Core Unit.............. £60-80 depending on functionality ie. RF, GSM built in?, etc.
    Serial interface...... £20-£30
    2. Sensor Modules
    Humidity/Temperature/Solar Module...... £20-£30
    * may also consider producing JUST Temp Module and JUST Solar Module .... £10-£15
    Liquid Temperature Module .................. £20
    Moisture Module ................................. £20
    pH Module .......................................... £30-£40
    TDS Module ........................................ £????
    Ionisation Sensor Module [Fire] ........... £15-£20
    Flood Warning Module ......................... £20
    Motion Detector Module ....................... £30
    Door/Window Status Module ................ £10-£15
    Float Module ....................................... £20
    3. Control Modules
    Door Lock Module ................................ £????
    CO2 Doser Module ............................... £40-£50
    Relay Module ...................................... £30-£40
    GSM Module ....................................... £50-£60
    Peristaltic Pump Module ....................... £?? - These could be quite expensive depending on the cost price of the pump. Some cost hundreds and I am sure would produce excellent results every time, but how cheap can we get without sacrificing quality and reliability? I hope to get them on the shelves to the public for around £40-£50 per unit.
    Water Valve Module ............................. £20-£30

Cables to connect between modules ....... £5 or Free 'make your own' instructions available online.
    Hub .................................................. ... £30-£40
    Power Injector ...................................... £10-£15
    RJ45 Coupler ........................................ <£5

I think if we can achieve the above prices (roughly) then we will have an extremely marketable range of products. For example, if you wanted to just monitor conditions in your growroom, you could buy two HTS Modules (one for each room), a moisture module for each room and a core unit for around £100 which would allow graphical representation of temp, humidity, light operations, and growing medium moisture. Handy to know when temps are dropping too low, or getting too high. Min-Max thermometers just can't cut it! And then for another few quid, you can add a relay unit for controlling pumps (when it's too dry), humidifers, dehumidifiers, fans, extractor fans, electric heaters, nutrient heaters/chillers, whatever you need. All in all the system has only cost just over £100.

Thanks

Default Status Report

Just found your thread. I am very interested in your results. Have you created a working prototype yet. Was considering trying to do the same thing you have done, but why reinvent the wheel. I am in the states but would buy this thing if it worked. As far as my two cents, the basic modules I would want would be these:

Master Controller
    Light timer
    Temp sensor w/relay for AC
    Humidity sensor w/relay for dehumidifier
    CO2 sensor w/relay to turn on CO2 below xx PPM
    other sensors are just nice to haves.

The key, as in the growtronix, would be the remote sensor that would allow email/txt message to be sent if alarm is triggered, or temp setting go through the roof.

I have been looking into getting the Growtronix for a while, but there is so much bad feedback about the guy, that it is too much of a gamble. If you could design a master controller and software to be purchased from you, and then allow off the shelf products to be used that would be great. The growtronix requires a unique software update anytime you add an additional sensor making you totally reliant on the company if you want to expand.

Anyway great job, really just looking for an update on your project.

Thanks

its looking goos so far dude
    shame about the pigs.
    this idea is very intresting to me as i am studying computer science.

Thanks

Sorry to say lads if you check, the last activity by reefer420 was on 06/05/08 so I recon this died a while back unless you know different. Shame it sounded quite interesting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3