View Poll Results: I would be interested in automating my grow with such a system?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

19 73.08%
  • False

7 26.92%

Thread: Cheap & Simple Growroom Automation!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks

Default Cheap & Simple Growroom Automation!

I'm looking into growroom automation AND security with home automation as a sideline - all using one system attached to the PC's serial port - or USB maybe.

I got the inspiration from Growtronix - A system which is very similar to the one I'm going to build.

It will consist of a number of sensors and switches (temperature, humidity, solar intensity, window & door contact switches, PIR motion sensors and eventually pH and CF, maybe dissolved oxygen content sensors too). Each of these 'modules' can be connected in any standard network topology (daisychain, star etc.) simply by connecting them with Cat5 network cable. The cable will need a bit of rewiring so it's easier if I make my own.

I will write the software - I'm no programmer but have some limited experience and have been assured by various sources that the programming shouldn't be too difficult to get to grips with.

I will be using a low spec PC to run the software to test it's capabilities on a slow machine. It is connected to the PC via a small serial to RJ45 connector or using a master hub with multiple RJ45 channels.

The PC (The Master) will continuously monitor whatever sensors or switches are attached to the system and use a number of relays to control various aspects of the growroom. For instance, high temp switches on fans, low temp switches on a heater, lights can be controlled by the PC rather than those temperamental mechanical timers, window,door and motion sensors could send SMS message when activated, flood sensors could do the same. Couple these with a couple of webcams and a seure server and you can do it all. I also hope to produce a module that can sense the temperature, humidity and solar intensity all in one.

I hope to have all the parts necessary to start building the system this week and would like some input as the project progresses. Also, I hope to be able to manufacture these devices once I have sorted out any bugs and have everything working perfectly. It would seem to have a demand - especially if they're cheap enough! I reckon I could sell them for around £20-£40 per device. You could have a whole system measuring temp, humidity & solar in two zones with a couple of other sensors for just a couple hundred quid - including a crappy old PC!

Anyway, I'll shut up now

Thanks

now mate if you can do this and then have it controlled via the internet then ill be really interested!!!

Thanks

It's a possibility, but why would you need to control it via the Internet?? Really? The system will be designed around the objective which is to maintain growroom conditions such as temperature, humidity, lighting, as well as security issues automatically. I would consider the option maybe of resetting any alarms via the Internet and the CCTV console but other than that?? I dunno. Let me know what you had in mind.
    I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.

Thanks

what if (for example) i had i house in the middle of nowhere that i wanted to do a grow in so even if things fucked up nothing could be linked back to me??

who doesnt want a no risk grow??

Thanks

Everyone wants a risk-free grow, but the house would be linked back to you anyway - wouldn't it? Therefore you'd be implicated immediately. I suppose if you are growing remotely then it would be advantageous to be able to change timer regimes, temperature/humidity settings etc.

Another idea I considered (when I was stoned as a twat!) - When the motion detectors are activated or a window or door contact is broken or both, the system gives an audible voice warning (your own voice maybe!?) telling them to "Fuck off out of this house before all door handles are electrified" then a count down maybe! Ha! i seen a similar idea on a post somewhere else - what an idea, you could set a load of traps couldn't ya and watch it all from your secure online cctv console! LOL!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reefer420 View Post
    Everyone wants a risk-free grow, but the house would be linked back to you anyway - wouldn't it? Therefore you'd be implicated immediately.
    there'd be ways round it. i cant think of them precisely right now tho :P

and anyway, if this house was right out in the country or some shit, its highly doubtful any police are gonna be sniffing about!

Thanks

Its possible to have an automated grow room and controll it from a satallite location. Theres a few problems with it though. Im sure you can be tracked through the internet and all that crap but they can also track ordershipments of lights so that doesnt really concern me. The plants are what concerns me. It seems hard enough to grow when the damn things are in my closet and im checking them everyday. I dont believe theres a proven equation for a sucessful grow, individual attention is always needed. So i dont think your grow would be that sucessful unless you had a check up every couple of days.
    Amber jar, green leaf, red bic and a bowl...

Thanks

This system is by no means a replacement for the gardener and regular checks must be made as per usual - I wouldn't rely on technology 100% either! As I said, the purpose is to maintain growroom conditions such as temperature and humidity, check that lights are working when they should be working, detecting intruders, either the mundane tasks will be eliminated like altering timer schedules for heaters as the weather changes, you'd know when your bulb blew or a reservoir leaked because your growroom assistant will let you know. The point of this post is ... 'You WILL still need to get your hands dirty! I know how much you all love that aspect of it too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reefer420 View Post
    This system is by no means a replacement for the gardener and regular checks must be made as per usual - I wouldn't rely on technology 100% either! As I said, the purpose is to maintain growroom conditions such as temperature and humidity, check that lights are working when they should be working, detecting intruders, either the mundane tasks will be eliminated like altering timer schedules for heaters as the weather changes, you'd know when your bulb blew or a reservoir leaked because your growroom assistant will let you know. The point of this post is ... 'You WILL still need to get your hands dirty! I know how much you all love that aspect of it too.
    That sells it for me !

Thanks

Sorry to say lads if you check, the last activity by reefer420 was on 06/05/08 so I recon this died a while back unless you know different. Shame it sounded quite interesting.