Thread: 150w hps?

Thanks

Default 150w hps?

Finally got all my growing stuff together!
    Now i have to get a light, and still haven't made a decision.
    I have a 60x60x140 grow tent
    I could get a 250w enviro, but have seen grow diaries where a 150w hps was used to much greater effect (more lumens and more penetrating light). They do seem to be hard to find though!

I have ruled out 250w hps because of heat issues - I only have a cheapo vents tt100 extraction fan (with a carbon filter) and the guy at the shop said this would be ok with a 250w enviro, not 250w hps. Also, I would have to buy a contactor relay and they aren't cheap!

Would a 150w still be ok with the crap extraction? Do they need a relay to use safely?

Also, anyone know of any good places to get one? A remote ballasted one, not a spotlight one.

Thanks duuuuudes!
    Common sense is a collection of prejudices acquired by the age of 18.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times

A TT100 should be OK with a 250W HPS setup - I've run one with no issues.

but if you want to use 150W to be on the safe side....Try http://www.screwfix.com

64251 - £29.33 for 150W ballast & ignitor with 11 min cutout incase bulb dies.

They also do 150W HPS/HID/MH bulbs & fittments to match it...

for ballasts & ignitors search the lighting section for "Gear" and the industrial lighting section for bulbs & housings - simples....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Bimble View Post
    A TT100 should be OK with a 250W HPS setup - I've run one with no issues.

but if you want to use 150W to be on the safe side....Try http://www.screwfix.com

64251 - £29.33 for 150W ballast & ignitor with 11 min cutout incase bulb dies.

They also do 150W HPS/HID/MH bulbs & fittments to match it...

for ballasts & ignitors search the lighting section for "Gear" and the industrial lighting section for bulbs & housings - simples....
    Did you have a carbon filter on the fan? What size area was it in?
    How easy would it be to wire up (bearing in mind I don't really know more than the basics of electronics) and would the 150w still need a contactor relay?

Sorry bout the questions dude, need to make sure to maximise those yields of mine!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times

I had a 100mm carbon filter, the TT100 was running full speed 24/7 (it has 2 speed settings) the tent I ran the HPS in was 1M * 1M * 1.8M - I tried it in a 1M*1M*1.2M but it was a little too close to the plants - but the temps were OK - both tents were tested in an unheated loft.

The ballast/starter has two sets of connections you wire one to a normal 3-pin plug 3A fuse would be fine the other connects to the lampholder.

My shade came fitted with a male kettle socket lead so you would need to get a female kettle plug from maplins for the two flyleads and an earth wire.

Theoretically a good timer (like the envirolight one) would be OK for 150W HPS startup (I ran a 75W HPS on one fine) but I'd still get a contactor to be safe & incase you want to upgrade to 250W later.