Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: A BASIC GUIDE TO CFL's

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times

I've not seen any with timer warnings - Most have dimmer warnings.

could be because of the start-up surge, if thats the case then use a contactor like you would with HPS.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,875 Times

I also have CFL's running at the moment but need some smaller wattage bulbs for dangling between the branches to get that light right in there. The canopy I have has a 250watt CFL in and doesn't cover enough space to grow 8 plants so I need more light.

I planned on using my CFL until flowering starts then switching over to a 600watt HPS setup. I also am limited to space so can someone give me any links to threads where it explains dwarfing the plants to fit the space I have...?

Fantastic post by the way. Hope I can learn alot from you guys and gals.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wrams For This Useful Post:

brownfinga (16-03-11)

Thanks

@Nutty Profesor I m using Cfl Phillips bulbs 45 W and 65 w and used them with a timer for flowering, to be honest didnt saw on the box "don't use with a timer". In my opinion i think is safe to use them with a timer.

FZjb Guest

thanks for all the kind words

I had almost 450w of CFL running of a cheap digi timer with no probs for 2 months.

a 250 red on a push pin type for 2-3 months 12/12 with no probs.

even atm, my veg/seedling cab usues a 150w combo of 20w & 10w Cfl's with just a cheap digi keeping regular 18/6 with no probs at all.

tho i use a contactor for my 400w hps tho.

Thanks

Mega post dude, outstanding in fact as I'm thinking about CFL's myself as I only have a small space at the moment & my 250w hps is ok for vedging but my 600w hps is a bit warm for the space when flowering, could be the answer to my problems....
    Founder of the Ironbridge Gorge Marijuana Society

Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative

Thanks

I have used digital timers on my setups ever sinse I started this grow, I've used HPS and now there running on CFL so the cheap £2.89 digital timer from B n Q works fantastic and is worth every penny.

If anyone wants to know which timer I am on about just give me a shout and I post a pic of it, works better than some expensive timers I have used in the past. I purchased 6 timers for no more than a score (£20) so was well happy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wrams For This Useful Post:

Thewiginthenorth (04-11-14)

Thanks

cant see what the difference between using a timer, and switching it off yourself would be, as thats what the timer does, turns it off for you....
    200w - 300w CFL red, would be a good place to start if your wanting a better bulb to work with, can pick em up at around £20-30 for the bulb, and can pick up a reflector with the E40 fitting for around £20, although as far as the standard fitting not to sure mate, but obviously your reflector has the plug and stuff fitted, so it would just be a case of hooking it up to your set up and plugging in.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong, has thought of someone to blame it on.

A journey Of A Thousand Miles Starts With A Single Step

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chewy For This Useful Post:

PhilZenMaster (19-10-11)

Thanks

The great thing about a timer is that you can go out and know your lights are going to switch off at the same time ever single day. You can't switch off your plants when you feel like it. You have to get your plants into a routine and thats where a timer cooms in handy.

I also have my lights off during the night because its harder for thermal imagine to pick up heat signatures during the day. So my 12/12 cycle runs like this:
    06.00 on 18.00 hours off. I am not into getting up at 06.00 hours and switching my lights on then doing the same 7 days a week. So a timer works perfect for me.

Thanks for the info on the light. However, I have decided that I am going to put my 600watt HPS setup on as flowers start to appear. Or maybe sooner.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wrams For This Useful Post:

PhilZenMaster (19-10-11), TheMartian (03-09-10), Thewiginthenorth (04-11-14)

Thanks

i forgot i uploaded this a while back to help somone with CFLS maybe be of some use now

Quote Originally Posted by wert View Post
    i wonder if it will leave you a note ''dear john.....'' when it trundles off to the neighbors house that is growing with a 600w light instead of your 400w.........sneaky little ..........
    Fathers nearly silent fan and fillter modClick here

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Father jack For This Useful Post:

brownfinga (16-03-11), Roybo (29-09-14)

Thanks

I switched to my 600watt HPS a few days ago because the first signs of bud started to show.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wrams For This Useful Post:

PhilZenMaster (19-10-11)

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast