Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexing Cannabis Plants

Thanks

Default Sexing Cannabis Plants

FEMALE PLANT / MALE PLANT

EARLY SEXING- Cannabis Marijuana seeds Growing Guide
    It is possible to tell the sex of a plant early, and thus move male plants out of the main growing area sooner by covering a plant is lower branch for 12 hours a day while it is in a constant light vegetative state. Use a black paper bag or equivalent to allow for air flow while keeping out light. Be sure to set up a regular cycle for these covered branches. If light is allowed to reach them during the dark period, they may not indicate early at all.
    Use a magnifying glass to look at the early flowers sex type. A male plant will have a small club (playing card) looking preflower with a small stem under it. A female flower is usually a single or double pistil, white and wispy, emerging from an immature calyx.
    Some people like to pre-force plants when they are 8" tall, in order to weed out the males. When growing outdoors, many growers do not wish to devote time, space or energy to male plants. Just put the plants on a 12 hours light cycle for 2 weeks, separate the females from the males, then revert the light cycle back to 18-24 hours to continue vegatative growth for the females. Keep in mind, this is a time consuming process and can put the plants back 2 weeks in growth. Do not pre-force plants unless you have lots of time. Just cover one branch per plant with black paper (light tight, breaths air) 12 hours every day under constant light to force pre-flowers and differentiate early.

Female and Feminized Seed
    During the 1960's and 1970's some cannabis breeders took to experimenting with Colchicine. Colchicine, a powerful mutagen for both man and beast, stops cell duplication, while the cellcore duplication continues the same. The end result is a doubling or more of the chromosome set. This treatment can be beneficial to cannabis because it enforces many properties such as higher production of thc and resistance to disease. What also resulted, when gender chromosomes doubled, is that male or female chromosomes appear manifold, called Hermaphrodites. What's the plant to become? It becomes all at once. The result is called feminized or effeminate seed.
    Genetically, a cannabis plant is more or less predisposed to become male or female. This is regulated by 2 chromosomes everyone knows as the X and Y chromosomes. A plant with 2 XX chromosomes becomes female. A plant with an X and Y turns into a male. Plants have hormones that regulate it's functioning, of which gender is one of those functions. The hormone balance is genetically determined, and partly influenced by environmental factors. An example is when plant roots get damaged. The roots will produce a substance that in turn slows down leaf growth. The result is male flowers. When discussing hormone balance you get FEMALE SEED: a female is a plant with XX or only female chromosomes.
    When you have a seed with just X chromosomes, you are certain this seed will grow into a plant that is genetically female. To achieve the XX only plant: a female plant is forced by a hormone called Gibberellic Acid to produce male flowers, the pollen created contains only X chromosomes, when you offer this pollen to another female plant you can be absolutely certain to get seeds which are 100% XX. Once again this seed is called FEMALE SEED. Gibberellic Acid can be found in online. It takes years for an individual to achieve the proper plant hormone manipulation to get 100% female XX seed. Supplies therefore fluctuate and there are many different strains available worldwide.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,783 Times

Default Males

Great Post LKdj, just to add, if you get any males in your crop then dont have no mercy on the bastards, rip them out as soon as you are sure they are males.

ps. A favourite of mine is to stamp on the males and then cuss about the fact thats one less plant I got to grow

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ragman For This Useful Post:

Chilprufe (17-06-14), DannyWobble (23-02-13), Fieldy (02-12-12), GhostPGE (15-11-15), Mr Pothead (10-05-13), old skool smoker (03-05-14), popcornbud (21-09-14), saddam (17-04-12), Simba (19-05-11), Sonofdust (24-12-11), UncleTBag (03-01-15)

blurry-vision Guest

Part of me still felt a little sad when I had to chop off the heads of the blokes and chuck em but only part of me...

Thanks

I don't like killing the males. As they say it takes two to tango so without them there would be no hybrids. Have some respect gentleman please..

Here's a pic of one of my old hermies. You can clearly see the balls swinging in the breeze. (hairs visible on the left)

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to asci For This Useful Post:

1st (02-02-12), baronsrevenge (15-05-12), Chilprufe (17-06-14), Clarice_Starling (12-07-15), freeda (31-01-13), Funny-Trucker (30-03-13), MeRoNi420 (22-12-14), old skool smoker (03-05-14), smoke2many (10-08-11), spoonofinsanity (31-08-11), weedhead74 (14-07-12)

Thanks

Talking

Wuhahaha, balls swinging in the breeze, thats abit like when you get out of the bath......

Thanks

lol, that's it.

Thanks

great thread very helpful lkdj good to see it in writing and the pics are great too.thanks weed heed

10. The Following User Says Thank You to weed heed For This Useful Post:

Peanut4434 (05-12-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,049 Times

I hate being a novice grower..Just read that male plants dont produce smokeable bud so out of all my plants (9 in total) I might not get any that are female or would that just be bad luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    I hate being a novice grower..Just read that male plants dont produce smokeable bud so out of all my plants (9 in total) I might not get any that are female or would that just be bad luck
    well yeah that would be really bad luck, but just think you could just aswell get 9 females!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,049 Times

So if they are male plants then I cant smoke them?

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast