Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprout Stopped Growing - New Grower

Thanks

Question Sprout Stopped Growing - New Grower

This is my first time growing so I need a little help. I have three sprouts and two of them are about 3.5 inches and they are growing fine and the third one was growing good and it reached about 1.5 inches and it just stopped. It is in an 18 inch pot and the others are in plastic cups but i didn't think this would be an problem because i thought i would have to transplant it then but maybe this is a problem. the sprout has a light dark green leaves and all of the sprouts are in scotts potting soil and the temp in the room is about 78F and the soil is moist and not over watered. the light is probably about 18inches from it, i moved it back farther to see if the plant would stretch and it didn't seem to do anything. maybe is it just a slow grower? I'm new to this so any help is appreciated!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,061 Times

does just sound like a slow grower,when did i seem to stop growing(how many days since it last did out)and what light are you using on them?

FZjb Guest

how old are they?

new seedlings will sprout and then slow right down for the 1st 2-3 weeks while they build a root system up, the once they done that they will then start to"veg" and go mad

Thanks

i dont kno if this helps but i have seen to notice when i start a seed in a bigger pot it seems to take awhile longer than if in a 8oz cup but i believe fazed theory about it building up a root system and being that it has alot more room to stretch, its probably doing that and i imagine you should see results in a couple days-week at most, on the other hand the plants in the cup always seem to take off faster above the root, id get ready to transplant the plants in the cup now that they are up and growing

Thanks

sorry it took so long for me to post back but id say it stoped about 3 days ago and the other two just keept on growing. I dont know much about the growing it and lighting and stuff so right now i have two heat lamps. one is a metal one with a 60 watt bulb in it and the other is a black one that is usualy used for turtles and lizards and stuff and it also has a 60 watt bulb. the metal one gets hot to touch and the black one dosnt so i dont know if that make a diference but the metal one seems to give a more yellow light and the black lamp seems to look more like real sunlight also dont know if this matters. im gunna post some links to some pictures of the plants i took. tell me if you see any problems with them. the one that dosnt seem to be growing is in the pot. hope the picturs are not to hard to see

plant 1

Plant 2

Plant 1 again

Small Plant

Thanks

ooo yea i planted them last thursday.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier but I didn’t think it was an issue but I’m probably wrong. when I first planted them I used miracle grow potting mix and after I planted them I started hearing how little bugs and nats grow in it so I got grossed out and went and got just the regular potting soil. I switch the soils out when the plant was not yet sprouted, it had a 1 inch root coming out of the seed shell and the seed was just starting to split open for the leaves to come out and it was still hanging down like a candy cane. I switch out the soil and nothing broke and I was careful. After that it grew fine for a couple days then it just stopped and it hasn’t changed appearance or anything, it a kinda dark green..i did this for all of the plants and the others kept going

Thanks

mate there is nothing wrong with ur small plant , the others seem to be streching quite a bit, trying making sure they are not too far away from the light, i dont quite understand the lighting equipment you described but if it is not hot too touch you may need to put the plant alot closer to that light and distance the metal( im presuming halide) light where it does not burn the plants. an old measure of thumb is , if it aint too hot for the back of your hand than its safe for the grow. hope this helps mate

Thanks

Okay thanks alot for your help! ill move the others i little closer to the light. Should i move the little one closer? right now its about 12 inches away. and im also kinda confused about watering them, whats the best way to see if they need watered? and every now and then i spray them with a mist of water, is that okay?

Thanks

at these early stages they need to be nice and moist , when atering make sure to continue watering until it seeps through the bottom. and as for the lights, u must idenify what they are, when using cfl's , u can put the plant as close as 2 inches away, like i said earlier if it aint hot get them aas close as possible and with ur other metal hailde make sure u dont burn ur plants , i currently am using a 400w metal halide and my plants are 14 inches away because of the heat it produces, best bet idenify ur lights

Thanks

I dont know if this will help but I put some links to some pictures of the lamps maye you know what they are if you saw them. If not how can I find out?

Lamp 1

Lamp 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast