Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: She is not happy... (DWC/Bubbler)

Thanks

Default She is not happy... (DWC/Bubbler)

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of an epic tale for you, it is my first attempt and is full of many bad judgments/decisions, so it may not be surprising that my baby is not looking happy. It there anything I can do to get back on track?

Please forgive the poor photo quality...

I received a White Rhino cutting in rockwool 2 months ago, it had 5 nodes and I immediately put it in a vegetable potting mix. While doing so we had a severe storm and I nearly lost her there and then. I did the google thing and quickly resolved to set her up indoors using DWC. Done on the cheap ($100AUD) and in one frantic hour before the stores closed, the setup is as follows:

-1x80L Rectangluar Storage container:
    Opaque gray and wrapped in Aluminium Foil, I have cut a hole in the lid where a basket sits to suspend the medium over the reservoir.

-1x10L Round bucket:
    Black, this sits inside the storage container as the reservoir until it is too small at which time the storage container itself becomes the reservoir. This was to save on resources.

-Basket/Medium:
    The cutting was received in rockwool, which I washed as throughly as I dared after I changed my mind about the soil. This is surrounded by expanded clay balls in a plastic basket which was actually a pool filter basket but suited the purpose and was a fraction of the usual price.

-Water heater:
    Standard tropical fishtank heater, keeps the water at at least 21C.

-Air pump:
    Blue Planet TW400:-
    Double outlet - Fed into one circular air stone
    4.0 watts
    4.5 lpm
    0.014Mpa

-Nutrients
    Rapid Platinum Grow A+B: http://www.simplyhydroponics.com.au/NutrientsAAndB.html

At this point I think I'm doing pretty well. Then I cant find the light hood that had been under my house for the last two years and I don't have the cash to buy a new one. So I figure I have a western facing window, till I can get a light she can stay there. My first big mistake since it turns out she only got about 4 hours of sun a day, meanwhile I was feeding her to a schedule for a plant growing under full light. Completely replacing the water and scrubbing the bits and pieces once a week.

So 2 months later, I have a tiny plant and woe is me I still can't afford a light. So I decide to put her outside for a few hours a day, it being summer here. Of course my mistakes are compounded by a heatwave that day and when I got home her water was at 35C! (95F). She had some scorching on the lower leaves from touching the container and some of the upper leaves had curled a bit, but otherwise she didn't seem too bad. There have never been any blemishes, not even a yellow edge prior to this day. I immediately dumped half the water and replaced it, but I fear the damage was done. She has since started looking a bit wilted and not as green as she used to. The growing tips have no blemishes but they are getting yellower by the day.

I have taken to moving her in and out as the weather dictates. Though the temperature has leveled out so as not to affect the water, I now have a constant high wind battering her while shes sunbaking.This is far from ideal, but the money thing is out of my hands for now.

My biggest fear is root rot. The likely culprits are not enough bubbles, or just not getting to the roots and heat stress, also the water level needs constant monitoring.

Is she just dying a slow death or is there something I can do so fix her while I save for a light? My other idea was to do a makeshift greenhouse, stake out a small area with starpickets and wrap it in garden gauze, with a transparent roof it should be protected from the elements but in a big danger of overheating again.

I hope I've made sense

Thanks for your attention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_068.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	7661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_069.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	7662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_070.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	7663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_071.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	7664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_072.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	7665  

Thanks

Hi there mate she looks fine to me,the roots look nice n white n the airstone looks like its doing its job okay,plenty of bubbles,what EC are you feeding at n what is your PH.
    You really need to get yourself a light sorted mate couldn't you stick her under a few CFL'S until you manage to get a HPS.
    I LIKE GANJA..GANJA LIKES ME..WE MAKE A PAIR LIKE A GANJA TREE

Thanks

Thanks Syko

I am pleased to report that I finally picked up a kit with a 600W MH Superveg bulb

I don't watch the EC as I dump the reservoir once a week. I've been a bit timid about posting the fact that for some reason (not enough research) I was keeping the PH as 6.8. I now set it at 5.8, after flushing the nutrients for a day, and a couple days in the full mix she is getting a bit of colour back.

I am posting a photo of the roots again because the picture I posted is not very useful. There are some very dark bundles that are worrying me. nb. the colours are quite washed out, the brown is a bit more distinct in real life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_077.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	7706  

Thanks

could be the start of root rot.

Thanks

From what I have read, I need to cut away the rotten roots, but I wont be left with much... how much is too much to cut away? Should I call in a local green thumb? lol

Thanks

I got out the gloves and teased them all apart, veeery carefully.

I didn't have to cut any thing thankfully, but alot of it fell off in my fingers. I now have 5 nice clean roots, they're a bit off colour but it looks much more promising.

Thanks

The only thing you can do is give it some time, a bit of stability wouldn't hurt cus she's putup with a lot of 'handling'.

Thanks

Shes tough thats for sure, but some well deserved R&R is definitely the order of the day

Thanks guys

Thanks

If the roots are falling off in your hands it sounds like rot to me, but it's odd to get it in winter, usually it only happens when the water is above 20c.

Thanks

Hows it going mate any better.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast