Thread: first time grow with a octogrow system need help!! pls

Thanks

Default first time grow with a octogrow system need help!! pls

i am thinking of buying a octogrow system its (L55cm x W105cm x H38cm)
    with a 25litre bucket for keeping plants watered and fed for up to two weeks it has 8 x 11litre pots but what nutriants should i buy and should i use hydroclay or soil. so with having 8 plants what watt bulb should i get.
    thanks any advice is helpful

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eddee View Post
    with a 25litre bucket for keeping plants watered and fed for up to two weeks
    that would only keep one of my plants alive for 5 days lol..

seriously though, first of all look at how much space you have, how many plants you want to grow and how you want to grow them, do some reading up on hydro systems, browwe the different systems available on greens, choose a couple that suit your pocket, reasearch all you can find about those systems on google and weed forums, each has it's pro's and cons.

i recommend GHE 3 part nutes for hydro, others here use others, but that works for me.

answer a few q's.. and ill try help!..

how much space you got to grow in?
    what is your budget?
    how many plants you want to grow?
    how you want to grow your plants- normal, sea of green, 12/12 from seed, scrog, monster xmas trees?
    what kind of yield do you expect/want/need?

answer those- or a few of them, and i'll try help you how to get the most from your space and which system to do it in!

cheers

Thanks

cheers mate,

i have been doing reserch for a few weeks and some hydro systems seem really good and some seem really complecated. the money side to things aint really a problem ill spend as much as i need to get a good result at the end of it all.
    i like the hydro systems that self water like the wilmas because i work alot of the time.

am looking at growing around 6 - 8 plants.

this will be my first ever grow so in a way i dont have a clue about watering them or giving them nutrients but i have a weed growing bible lol that i have read like 15 times and bin all ove the internet looking at differnt hydros but if u could recommend a better hydro than a wilma i would b happy

cheers mate

Thanks

hi mate,

the wilma does have a big reservior, but can it get over crowded very easliy. the pot are right beside each other- the plants fight for space. with a wilma, you are looking at short veg times, small plants and even 8 of them, is not a big harvest!

you say you wok alot of the time, so ideally you need a low maintenance system- hydro is high maintenance, you need to be there everyday to check and maintain ec and ph of the nute solution. the easiest way around this, is a large re-circulating reserviour- but i would still want to check that every 2 days at least.

if im honest with you, soil is far more low maintenance- you can leave those a week at a time inbetween checking they are ok. id be wanting to monitor my hydro system daily as things can go wrong alot quicker than they do in soil..

how many days un attendence we talking about?

and how much space do you have?

Thanks

well i have a spare room which is pretty big doublebed room so space is not a issue. i work aorund 50-60 hours a week so its sorter inbetween on being there for the plants. a think just using a soil would b better and easyer for me seeing as it is my first grow. and i noticed that on them self watering hydro kits are close togever thanks for your time anyway cheers

Thanks

if you can be there at least once a day to tend them and make adjustments (5-30mins per day), go hydro.

if not, then soil is your best option.

Thanks

if you are going hydro and you want low maintenance id probaly say nft i check my res daily but i neednt bother every 3-4 days would be fine even once a week would be cool be im just a perfectionist i work like 48hrs a week nights all i do is check my ph and ec daily which are normally fine if not takes like 15-20 mins to adjust take a look at my diary see what you think
    personally i wouldnt go soil if you can help it the yield are just not worth the leccy and takes a lot longer to grow

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,051 Times

You could use coco for a low maintenance hydro setup.
    It's easy to use, is very tolerant and pH buffers your nutes, and has good liquid retention so requires a lot fewer waterings than hydroton or other looser mediums.
    Plants also love it.