Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My method for making BHO (butane honey oil)

Thanks

Default My method for making BHO (butane honey oil)

Didn't see any posts here about BHO so I figured I'd post up my step-by-step for the method I have migrated to over years over experimentation and hundreds of runs... UNFORTUNATELY, I am having a difficult time finding the pics that go along with this post as the original server I had them hosted on (an old website of mine) is no longer operational. I will find them and upload them as soon as I can. In the mean time, I think the post is pretty specific and should get some people an idea of how one can make top shelf BHO on their own back porch. Without further adieu...

1.) Prepare material (if using bud, trim all stem and leaf matter - this is only because of the quality thing I mentioned, most people probably won't notice a difference if they leave some sugar trim and stem in there)

2.) Prepare extraction tube/oil dish/hot water tray. This is probably the part that I consider the most important so I'll go into a bit more detail-

a.) The tube should be packed firmly but most importantly EVENLY. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT typically tubes that are packed too full that "blow out" but tubes that are not packed evenly. and if you've ever had a blow out, you know it sucks ass and you damned sure don't want it to happen twice

I used to use two coffee filters (#6 natural IIRC, maybe #4 it's been a while) as well as a metal screen with a collar clamp...eventually once you learn how to properly pack your extraction tube(s) you can step it up to only using one layer of coffee filter and no screen, this is ideal.

b.) I prefer the deeper square pyrex dishes for ease of scraping, but I'm not very OCD about the corners that inevitably stick and can't be scraped (not particularly important, just a footnote)

c.) I use water that is just below boiling, around 190-200 degrees (F) - I don't have anything other than years of anecdotal evidence to support this, but I find that BHO purged with water just below boiling is always overall better quality in the end than BHO purged over a pot of water at a rolling boil (not to mention it's much safer NOT to extract over an open heat source, even if it's outdoors on say an electric burner...)

3.) Run the BHO through (as I mentioned before, usually 1 can or less per ounce of material) - and as you've figured out now, I toss it out after that first run

4.) Time to purge, this is a two step process -

a.) First is the hot water evaporation, wherein I simply put the tray over the hot but not boiling water and allow the extremely volatile butane to "boil" out

b.) After the oil stops bubbling, I use the standard flame purging method - PLEASE to anybody who isn't experienced with making oil, take extreme caution in making sure that you have evaporated the majority of the butane before doing the final purge...I've had more than a few 4 foot tall blue flaming torches over the years from doing this without proper lighting or in a rush. This is NOT something to fuck around with and do in your spare time without proper knowledge, you absolutely CAN seriously injure or kill yourself or somebody else if you fuck this process up.

5.) i typically give each run about 20-30 minutes to "air cure", then I put it right back on the hot water for a few moments just until it's almost too hot to sit the tray on your lap

6.) Scrape and enjoy.

Like I said, I will try to get those pics up ASAP as soon as I find them. In the mean time, here is a pic of the finished product:

I realize I have left some pretty important info out for anyone who is just now finding out about BHO, so please do not hesitate to ask questions about something you don't understand! There is so much more to be said here about this subject for sure...

thx for looking guys, hope I can convert some of you dry sift/bubbleheads to oil!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jd4083 For This Useful Post:

dabbinallday (09-01-12)

Thanks

Well I'm having one hell of a time finding the series of photos from my last run, all I have handy is this pic of a sub-$10 bho setup (stainless steel turkey baster from Bed Bath & Beyond) filled with some loose popcorn of Purple Power Plant and Lambsbread:

more as they come! peace

Thanks

HI JD4083, welcome to THCtalk mate

Thanks for the tutorial, that BHO looks wickid and it has a totally different consistency as all the butane I've ever made. Yours looks like toffee and mine looked like honey.

Do you think that's part of the purging process? I've never done that before... whats the aim of it?

You sit your pyrex on a tray of hot water and THEN put your butane through the tube into the dish? Did I read that right? I've only ever let it evap away naturally, but then my BHO always tasted a bit like B
    First grow
    250W CFL stealth hempy. Jock Horror.
    Second grow 375W CFL stealth hempy. Early Girl.

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome ViK! Yes, that consistency is a result of proper purging (i.e. flame purging on top of the hot water purge) and then the air cure I described. The idea of a good purge is to remove as close to 100% of the solvent as is possible in a non-lab setting, without going so far as to also purge all of the terpenoids (which are what carry the flavor in the flower itself). Over-purged BHO tends to be flavor-less but I would prefer over- to under-purging as nobody wants to smoke Butane

Interestingly enough I have found that certain strains cannot seem to produce that candy-like consistency (usually called amber glass/shatter), usually the very heavily sativa strains, which tend to put out a still very clear but slightly runnier oil that is more yellow in appearance than amber.

And yes that is what I typically do although it is not necessary, just makes things a bit easier.

thanks for posting!
    Last edited by jd4083; 11-02-10 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks

jd4083, I'm already illuminated. Thanks.

I had a few attempts at bho and wasn't happy with the taste of the result. Now I will attempt the same again but with your process. I've got a couple of plants that are just asking for it...

Do you have a preferred brand of gas to use?

Thanks

Hey again ViK, I like "Vector" butane, it's the easiest to find around here and is 5x refined. I have had great results with it and it's really the only tane I'll use now. (The pics above were made with vector.) I pay ~$6/can which is a little pricey, it's less if I buy a case of it but the $6 cans are actually larger than a standard butane can so it's not a bad deal. I can run about 1.5oz with one large can.

peace

Thanks

dave sucks cock for wooden nickels and then trades the wooden nickels for more cock to suck
    Your honor, motion for dismissal. Upon review of the evidence presented I believe you will find that the defendant had a disclaimer in his signature.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,225 Times

Thanks

haha burnz...my buddy dave found this forum and saw this post, then called me to say "somebody's stealing your information!" - so I posted to let him know it was just me under a different name

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,225 Times

LOL....Oh OK then, I thought you were going all wacky on us for a second there

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BURNZ For This Useful Post:

Sativa Steve (21-04-11)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast