Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Epsom salt explained

Thanks

Default Epsom salt explained

Found this information elsewhere and though as i have had this problem and it seems rather common that a good bit of info will help out. Again this is not my information i just found it.

What are Epsom salts?

It is crystallised magnesium sulphate. It is a naturally occurring mineral that is used by all living things.

Chemical name: Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate ( or Hydrated).

Chemical Formula: MgSO4 + 7H2O , (Hydrated Magnesium Sulphate).

Mineral Name: Epsomite (MgSO4 + 7H2O).

Similar minerals: Kieserite (MgSO4 + H2O, Hydrated Magnesium Sulphate)
    Hexahydrite (MgSO4 + 6H2O).

Magnesium Sulphate is found in 95% mineral waters! Up to 2% of ocean sea salt is Magnesium Sulphate.

Human body needs Magnesium Sulphate!

This simple mineral is often in short supply in modern grown foods and people are often deficient in it. Raising the levels of it often help to reduce severe acute asthma attacks, its used to manage seizures associated with toxemia of pregnancy. It is helpful with all sorts of muscle contraction problems, also several dysrhythmias problems. Has been used for hundreds of years as a liver cleanser and as a purgative.

When used external such as in a bath, magnesium sulphate is absorbed through the skin, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles.

As a foot soak: Soothe aches, remove odours, and soften rough skin with a foot soak. Add 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt to a large pan of warm water. Soak sprains and bruises: Epsom Salt will reduce the swelling of sprains and bruises. Add 2 cups Epsom Salt to a warm bath, and soak. Or locally use a warm epsom salt-soaked compress to reduce swelling from scrapes, use a cold compress to take the sting out of insect bites.

Epsom salts are named for the mineral rich waters of Epsom, England, where they were known at least as far back as Shakespeare's day. The salts were originally produced by evaporating the spring water where the mineral occurred.

For plants epsom salts can supply two essential chemicals that they need, ie Magnesium and Sulphur in a soluble form absorbable through both the leaves and roots. At the dilution plants need it, it is also friendly to the soil/compost micro flora and stimulates the micro herd.

Overdone like anything it will cause harm to the soil and its fauna. Like everything its about balance. If the plant does not need it don't give it.

With a large plant outdoors in cultivated soil with a good balance of nutrients will never show/have an Mg deficiency. The reason is that its root system is unlimited, a large plant will have a feeder root mass occupying 1 to 2 thousand litres of top soil. The Cannabis plants use of Mg increases as it matures and will be at its peak at around the third week of flowering on 12/12. A plentiful supply at this time is critical to facilitate the transformation into full flowering mode. Because indoor plants grown in containers have a restricted root mass, this is the time where you are most likely to see a problem. It needs dealing with at this early stage.

With cannabis Mg deficiency shows on the lower sunleaves first, the green between the veins becoming a little lighter green as the very early symptom. Seeing it at this stage means the plants are telling you I need magnesium now! In the picture below on the left shows lower leaves of a plant that is starving and short of all three of the main elements ie nitrogen phosphorus and potash but not Magnesium, on the right show lower leaves short on Magnesium only.

Dosage for misting:

1 level teaspoon to a heaped teaspoon per litre of water.

Dosage for watering:

1 level desert to a heaped tablespoon per 5 litres of water.

Dissolve the epsom salts in some hot water first to make sure it has all dissolved properly.

Applications:

1. As a foliar misting after lights out. Repeat this every three days until you see an improvement.

2. Use when watering/feeding in compost: Once in the vegetative stage, & twice when in flower (day 10 & day 35).

* Only use epsom salts if you see signs of a (Mg) deficiency. Otherwise it is not needed.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to simon101 For This Useful Post:

Bush Doctor (11-05-11), Dam High (03-05-11), Diply (03-05-11), doctor (28-09-11), foopa (07-03-13), marcus (24-05-11), pindel (08-01-12), Smokeface (14-05-11), timothio (11-05-11), tlh2496 (24-09-17), torxxx (15-05-11), ulric wolfshead (19-05-11)

Thanks

sweet mate just what i needed

Thanks

nice one dude never knew epsom salts had so many beneficial uses. thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times

Default Bath Salts

Epsom Salt - Epsoak

Epsom Salt is a pure mineral compound (magnesium sulfate) in crystal form. The crystals are formed from evaporated brine pools in the earths crust. There are several different grades of Epsom salt, produced to purity standards according to the purpose for which it is intended.
    Epsoak Epsom Salts are premium USP food grade Epsom Salt.

Epsom Salt's benefits are proven.
    Numerous studies have demonstrated the profound and wide-ranging benefits of Epsom Salt. Even celebrities, from model Stephanie Seymour to domestic guru Martha Stewart, have extolled its virtues. Soaking in an Epsom Salt bath is one of the most effective means of making the magnesium your body needs readily available. Continue below for more information on the benefits of Epsoak.

The 2 key ingredients of Epsom salts are Magnesium and Sulfur.

Magnesium:

Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
    Help muscles and nerves function properly
    Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes
    Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
    Make insulin more effective
    Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
    Improve oxygen use
    Sulfates:

Flush toxins
    Improve absorption of nutrients
    Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
    Help prevent or ease migraine headaches
    Usage Suggestions

For a relaxing soak - Add two cups of Epsoak to a hot bath in a standard-sized bathtub; soak for at least 12 minutes.
    Relieving tired feet - Soak aching feet in warm water to which a handful of EpSoak has been added. Rinse in cool water
    Relieving fatigue - Add four cups of Epsoak into a warm bath in a standard sized bathtub; soak for at least 15 minutes.
    Removing dry skin - After bathing and while still wet give yourself a massage with dry salt. It removes dead skin particles and aids the circulation.
    Make your own salt scrub - For a stimulating facial, mix equal parts of salt and olive oil and gently massage the face and throat with long upward and inward strokes. Remove mixture after five minutes and wash face
    Body Wrap - Include Epsoak salts as a layering product in a body wrap.
    Facial - Mix 1/2 TSP of Epsoak into cleansing cream for a deep-pore cleansing. Massage on skin. Rinse with cool water. Pat dry.
    Conditioner - Mixed with your favorite deep conditioner, Epsoak helps to add body to hair.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saltsbath For This Useful Post:

Dam High (03-05-11), ulric wolfshead (19-05-11)

Thanks

I searched for ages for this info using the search function, then found it through google. Anyway everything I needed to know for the plants, and a few extra I could use for myself.

Cheers guys.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

I get Mg def issues starting around week 3 of flower virtually every time I grow. This has just helped me ten fold. Thanks dude, I'll pick some up on the way home

Thanks

dolomite lime is also something you can add to the soil to prevent mg deficiency, however this would need to be added as you pot into final pot before flower at the rate of half a cup for 20 liters (ish) of soil

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,915 Times

Why not try changing your nutes up_in_smoke mate , I use canna bio and never really get any defs at all , I thought I had 1 with blueberry before but it turn out to be the blueberry sensitivity to food , pussy plant lol.
    If you grow/use medical marijuana you are a criminal , to be classed as a patient you need to buy drugs from the goverment. Cannamancan.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

Yeah I'm not overly 100% on what is causing my issues, I think my main problem was heat which yesterday I think I finally cracked, got lights on of 26 now, thats was my lights off the day before, lol. Lights on before was around 32.
    And my nutes I have considered changing, but I wanted to do some side by sides to see whats working for real and whats not. Once I know 100% it is the nutes or me or whatever I'll make the change in nutes.
    I'm hoping eventually to get on to absoloute minimum in the way of feeds, get more into organics and learn to read the plants better.
    If I can get through a grow with like 1 feed and get amazing results like some do on here then I'll be happy.

But I use standard Canna Terra with all the boosters, don't know if anyone else gets Mg problems with these nutes. May even be the soil yet, really haven't tested enough different variables.
    Last edited by Up_in_smoke; 03-05-11 at 12:30 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

cannamancan (03-05-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,971 Times

Great Info thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast