Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Canna Butter 101

nuube Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tastyweat View Post
    Don't blame you... I couldn't be bothered holding out for the full 24 either... ended up being about 16-18 i think... was soo strong it has actually put me off edibles a bit for a while And that's just trim...
    What sort of dose did you have, ( as in how much went in and how much did you eat at a time?

Jāck Herer Guest

Thats well helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nuube View Post
    What sort of dose did you have, ( as in how much went in and how much did you eat at a time?
    Very roughly... about 2Oz of wet very airy popcorn buds and about 1.5Oz of trim to about 350g of butter... ended up with just over 200g of cannabutter after simmering for say 16 hours.

All went in to a cookie mix that could make about 24 tesco-sized cookies.

Had one cookie that size & it wiped me out...

Other people reacted to a similar dose (not provided by me, of course) in a better way... so it could just be me not reacting too well to it...

Will have another go in the future... but next trim run is going to be to make hash

Growing: Green Poison, NL5 Haze Mist, Original Amnesia, Critical Jack, Exodus Cheese, Power Skunk
    Have Grown: Blue Hash, Could #9, Blueberry, Orange Bud, Super Lemon Haze, Kandy Kush, Speed Devil, Fast Bud, Easy Ryder, White Widow... and loving every minute

nuube Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tastyweat View Post
    Very roughly... about 2Oz of wet very airy popcorn buds and about 1.5Oz of trim to about 350g of butter... ended up with just over 200g of cannabutter after simmering for say 16 hours.

All went in to a cookie mix that could make about 24 tesco-sized cookies.

Had one cookie that size & it wiped me out...

Other people reacted to a similar dose (not provided by me, of course) in a better way... so it could just be me not reacting too well to it...

Will have another go in the future... but next trim run is going to be to make hash
    I used about 2 Oz of dry trim and about 1/4 Oz of bud. Used 500g of butter and cooked for 8 hrs. Hoping this does the job.

Thanks

Should be good

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tastyweat For This Useful Post:

Cell-Out Champion! Tritryst Champion!
    Thanks

I read in another Cannabutter thread you need to cook it for 22-24 hours?

Yours turned out pretty good though for 6-8 hours

Maybe its just different techniques

Thanks

I have been making lots of cannabutter for the last 3 years and have come up with the following formula.

I use 2 ounces of quality trim that is approx 25% popcorn buds per pound of butter. I usually make 6 to 8 lbs of butter in a batch. The batch I just made started with 8 lbs of butter and a little over 1 lb of trim and popcorn buds. I also added 1/4 oz of Chem Dawg that I had laying around. I slowly melt the butter in the pot making sure not to cook or burn the butter on the way. As soon as it is melted at low temp I add the weed and mix it in. After the weed is mixed in I fill the pot to about 1 inch from the top with water. I increase the heat until the mess just starts to boil (just one or two bubbles) then I immediately cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. I have a GE Profile gas range and the smallest burner on the simmer setting works perfectly. I let it cook for 22 to 24 hours but not more than 24 usually closer to 22 to play it safe. You can do this step in a slow cooker if you know how to get it to cook for that long and at the correct temp (should be less than 275 degrees). My stove does this just right. After I take it off the stove I first strain the mess through a cheese cloth then I use a potato ricer to get whatever I can out of the rest. This is a good tool to have anyway as it makes excellent mashed potatos. I cool the liquid in a glass bowl then poke a hole through the butter and drain off the water (the water has no stony quality since weed is not water soluble). I measure the butter into one cup (2 cubes or half pound) portions and freeze in sandwich bags for later use.

I started making butter by cooking for just 8 hours and was very satisfied with the results so was hesitant to modify my method. After reading information indicating that it should result in a stronger product I decided to give it a try. The difference in a side by side comparison was very noticeable. The 22 hour cannabutter is definitely better. If you have a limited amount of product to use make sure you get the most out of it.

When I made the last 8 lb batch I recovered 6 lbs of cannabutter. I have tried boiling the remains and other suggestions but have only been able to recover a tiny bit of the additional butter that is lodged in the mess. I just toss the little hockey pucks of squeezed weed into the compost. I then use the butter to make cookies and other items following the standard recipes. So far I have made numerous types of cookies, lemon bars, hard candy and mini pear pies. Most of my medibles are considered 10X to 24X for the mini pies by the folks that test them. They are stronger than any medible I have purchased at any club.

Thanks

I tried this and after about an hour the weed trimmimngs went all brown and crispy, what did i do wrong?

Thanks

Oops, anyone know what the problem might of been?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to frost313 For This Useful Post:

Petal (08-04-13)

Thanks

It sounds like you got it too hot. I looked back a little way through this thread and I did not see what process you were using to make your butter. If you send the details I can probably spot where you went wrong. How hot did the mix get. It should never go above 300 degrees F. If this happens the THC will decarboxilate out of the weed and the butter will not be as good. You should be able to maintain the temp with a regular meat thermometer but a candy thermometer would be more accurate. If you are using a crock pot or slow cooker and it got too hot I am not sure how you would need to proceed.

Basically use 2 oz (56 grams) of trim and popcorn buds for each pound of butter (and about the equivalent in water) or scale up or down as needed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chronreef For This Useful Post:

spoodge (19-12-13)

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast