View Poll Results: Which do you consider the best veg light cycle?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 24/0

3 20.00%
  • 20/4

3 20.00%
  • 18/6

8 53.33%
  • 16/8

0 0%
  • 14/10

0 0%
  • Other

1 6.67%

Thread: Vegging light Hours Poll - whats the most popular light cycle

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,573 Times

Default Vegging light Hours Poll - whats the most popular light cycle

After just reading a thread regarding light cycles it seems that hardly anyone goes 24/0 for veg period, which is my chosen method. Now this has got me thinking whats the point of me running my 2 x 600w hid for 24 hours if its not the best option.

Please vote your preferred method and if you can explain why you choose this option that would be great. Please dont tick the cycle you choose if its down to cost to save money but tick the option you would use if electric bill wasnt a worry.

I wont switch if my 24/0 isnt the best for this grow but i will for the next and im sure a poll like this will help alot of other new growers decide which is best. So come on thc members get voting and reasons why if you have the time
    Last edited by yoko2009; 23-02-10 at 03:35 PM.
    The Sweet Zone: Pruning & Topping Indoor Plants For Larger Yields

"I gave up weed because i thought it was turning me into a lazy bastard...........it turns out im just a lazy bastard" - yoko2009

´´wert is god and i am his bitch´´

samhain Guest

I need a couple of votes as i use 24H Flourescent's
    And 23 an a half HID
    Never run HID full time it's not designed to run hot full time and need's a cool down perion .
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ad.php?t=19505
    Okay i voted other .
    Last edited by samhain; 23-02-10 at 03:44 PM. Reason: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?t=19505

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,573 Times

cheers for the advice on the hid cool down period im going to put my timer on for 1 hour for saftey reasons so it will be 23/1 just to let them cool down, basically though you do go 24/0 apart from the saftey aspect? samhain you picky bugger

Monty Bong Guest

I veg under 18/6, I get good results and I dont have to run my lights for the extra 42hrs per week I would, if I were to go 24/0.

42 hours per week multiplied by however many weeks I veg for must work out to be quite a few quid and I don't believe that amount of expenditure could be made up in extra yeild if I were to go 24/0

Thanks

Hi,I used to run 24/7 in veg.Personaly i found a faster growth in veg,but as MB says dont think its worth it for the extra leccy that it costs,and think its better for the plants to have a dark cycle.
    So my vote goes for the 18/6
    HID lamps are actually more efficient if they are left on all the time, as the starting currents are higher than running currents.As the ballasts are inductive you have to times the lamp rating by a factor of 1.8.to obtain the start up current.
    And the less times a lamp is struck the longer it will last.

on a cloud half the time, other half in the fridge
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,406 Times

im going with 18/6 as thats all ive really done done 24/0 for only a week a two at the start of the grow but couldnt really say if there was a difference or not.

i think the 14/10 would be interesting to try which i think i might next grow
    ---Marley's Grow Diaries---

Marley's Diary - Black Rose - Kushage - Sour AK - Jack https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ack-Black-Rose
    Marley's 3 Strain Soil Grow - BlackJack - Nebula - Critical#47 https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...rain-Soil-Grow

A Trich or Few a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

samhain Guest

Quote Originally Posted by high riser View Post
    Hi,I used to run 24/7 in veg.Personaly i found a faster growth in veg,but as MB says dont think its worth it for the extra leccy that it costs,and think its better for the plants to have a dark cycle.
    So my vote goes for the 18/6
    HID lamps are actually more efficient if they are left on all the time, as the starting currents are higher than running currents.As the ballasts are inductive you have to times the lamp rating by a factor of 1.8.to obtain the start up current.
    And the less times a lamp is struck the longer it will last.
    Go digital/electronic for longer tube life , soft start , i can light and burn a tube that a coil wont fire . at incresed lumen's .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samhain View Post
    Go digital/electronic for longer tube life , soft start , i can light and burn a tube that a coil wont fire . at incresed lumen's .
    Hi,yes i was refering to the older stlyle ballasts,i run a600 with a digital ballast lumatech i think? in my flower room.
    THought there was still starting current though?