Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Aquaponics

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,573 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Yoko, I might need you on speed dial over the next few months

You said a 20% water change every two weeks? I thought you never sent any water to waste, just topped up?
    You need to water change to keep the nitrates at a reasonable level and also it give you chance to get some shit out of the gravel if you use a gravel cleaner when doing this process, if your familar to keeping fish you will know what one of these is, it basically sucks all the shit from the gravel and syphoned water at the same time without sucking up the gravel. You could probably get away with 20% water change every 3-4 weeks as your plants should hopefully be helping keep the nitrates down but they will never get them to 0. The thing with topping up is that while the water is evaporating the pollution is still slowly building up. You want to always keep your tank fully topped up through loss of evaporation but i would always advice a partial water change, make sure the water you put back in is dechlorinated and approx the same temp. When you take water out of the tank leave some in a bucket and use it to rinse out any filter sponges you may have in your tank

p.s. i said 20% water change every 2 weeks based on a 50ltr tank which has been fully matured, if you have a bigger tank with higher water volume you can do less frquent
    The Sweet Zone: Pruning & Topping Indoor Plants For Larger Yields

"I gave up weed because i thought it was turning me into a lazy bastard...........it turns out im just a lazy bastard" - yoko2009

´´wert is god and i am his bitch´´

Thanks

Ahhhh I can't wait....

My parents have a decent garde, live a 30 minute journey from me, and I spoke to them at dinner last night about aquaponics. I thought they might say 'yeah, you can build a small sysyem, just keep it out the way and that pump better not be too noisy'.

Boy was I wrong... They think it's so fucking cool they can't wait. Mum actually started talking about bulding polytunels and dad was all on about how many chili plants is too many (the answer: there is never too many). If the tester system works then I fully expect to be rigging up a massive one next year. Somewhere about half this scale: http://gardenaquaponics.wordpress.com/
    200 watt hempy/soil comparison here

How I built my stealth cabinet here.

Thrilling reads I assure you.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info, really great stuff, only something I want to point out, from all the research I've done the aim is not to replace water at all, just fill it up to compensate for evaporation and what the plants take, that's part of the main idea of this method, to not create waste water at all, if you got too much waste in your system you need to either add more plants or reduce the number of fish, the goal is to reach a perfect balance between what the fish need and what the plants need.
    "No one should question the faith of others for no human being can judge the ways of God".
    "Education and the quest for knowledge stops only at the grave..." His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,573 Times

yes your probably right mate, my info is based on just keeping fish and not really the cannabis part but your right the plants will be drinking water so there will be no need for water changes.....doh.......so all of the above is right exept the water change part hehe

Thanks

I have not made water changes. It is only needed if you don't keep this ratio - one pound of fish per gallon of water

Thanks

This post has captured my imagination, especially the custom greenhouse aquaponics setup linked.

Im going to look at re-designing my greenhouse and keep rainbow trout in there feeding my chillies and tomatoes etc. I'll keep a diary in the non-weed section of the website.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3