Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aquaponics

Thanks

Leaner I'd love if you let me know how things are going with the earth box, could be a very good solution to medical patients who can't grow due to their situation as its almost work free. Basil, I'd love to hear as well when&if your trying it.
    "No one should question the faith of others for no human being can judge the ways of God".
    "Education and the quest for knowledge stops only at the grave..." His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,573 Times

Something iv been considering looking into as im quite well up on my fish and love my new hobby of growing iv worked in and out of the aquatic trade for many years and Rastman your right fishwaste is a great source of food for plants and contains nitrates which plants love and in turn will break these down for better water quality for your aquarium. One thing i would consider when doing this is make sure you choose fish that like to live in soft water conditions with a ph of 6-7, if your thinking of meat eating fish maybe a couple of large south american cichlids such as oscars, they create plenty of waste. Iv seen people mention gold fish but the problem here is they prefer slightly hard water with a slighty alkaline water at least 7-7.5, if you keep them in wrong conditions this may lead to illness and then treatments will be needed which may not be good. If your going for small fish get shit loads of neon tetras and angel fish/discus they love the sort of water that would be already ideal conditions hardness and ph wise. We used to have a couple of regulars who would come into one of the aquariums i worked at and we would give them 20litres of water a few times a week which they used to water there plants, im not sure if they were canabis plants but one of them in particular didnt look like your every day gardener. Another thing becareful if you need to treat your fish for any illness as a number of treatments can harm plants and also make sure your tank is fully mature and gone through the full bacteria cycle before connecting up, let me know how you go on.....cheers
    The Sweet Zone: Pruning & Topping Indoor Plants For Larger Yields

"I gave up weed because i thought it was turning me into a lazy bastard...........it turns out im just a lazy bastard" - yoko2009

´´wert is god and i am his bitch´´

Thanks

Yea the guy I know used Oscar&Cichlids and he had separate tanks for the fish and res, with adjusted ph, temp and all but to me it seems like kinda a lot of work and will beat my aim of simplicity, thanks on the species recommendations, seems like interesting species, I think it could be damn insane watching a group of those neon fish going wild while high, hahah, how long you think it should take the bacteria to develop fully in lets say a system that has 50L of water?

Thanks

I'm planning on building a small version, growing nothing but a few basil plants from a small goldfish tank. We'll see how it goes from there.....
    200 watt hempy/soil comparison here

How I built my stealth cabinet here.

Thrilling reads I assure you.

Thanks

good one keep us posted
    wanted to try this method usin garra rufa (doc fish) cos i used to suffer from dry skin an psorairis these fish eat dead skin of the human and other bodies. so like a health spar growin cannabis. but couldnt get hold of the fish if u can try these fish with a mixture of other fish will be brilliant.

also check for tilapia fish
    DONT DRINK AN DRIVE
    SMOKE WEED AN FLY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rastman View Post
    Yea the guy I know used Oscar&Cichlids and he had separate tanks for the fish and res, with adjusted ph, temp and all but to me it seems like kinda a lot of work and will beat my aim of simplicity, thanks on the species recommendations, seems like interesting species, I think it could be damn insane watching a group of those neon fish going wild while high, hahah, how long you think it should take the bacteria to develop fully in lets say a system that has 50L of water?
    In a tank that size it should take 2-3 weeks to get the full cycle going, there are some additives to speed this up which funnily enough the best one is called cycle which is basically a blend of bacteria. The thing with maturing your tank is that it wont fully mature till you have had some fish in there to get the cycle going properly or it will take an age. So if i was you id set up your tank leave it running for 2 days then add some fish, good starter fish that are quite hardy are platies. I would add about 6 platies and with you feeding them and them shitting/breathing your amonia levels will start to rise at this point if you was to add more fish they would probably die but fingers crossed your platies will have adapted to the slow change. Once amonia (NH3) appears a bacteria called nitrosoma will develop (this is where the cycle helps speed things up) and break this down into nitrite(NO2), this also is quite harmful to fish but eventually with the build up of this another bacteria comes along called nitrobacter and breaks the nitrite down and produces nitrate (NO3) in which fish can survive in quite high levels no problem and plants use nitrate as a source of food which is what you want. If you have a local fish shop they usually will do water checks for you, so once you have the fish in there ask them after a week or so to test your water for amonia and nitrite these should be visible but its what you want at this point, then one week later ask them to test again, the amonia should show zero and the nitrite should be zero or at least nearly gone. You can then slowly start adding more fish to your tank but not to many at anyone time as you need to let the bacteria increase to cope with the more fish. If your using a filter that has a sponge make sure you never wash it under tap water as you kill all the helpful bacteria, wash in a bucket of tank water. You want to be doing 20% water change every 2 weeks on the tank once fully mature......................sorry for the big waffle im stoned and can go on with myself!

p.s. sorry there is a couple of ways you can speed this up to almost instant, if you know someone with an established tank already, try and get half your water volume of him , in your case 25ltr, nick as much gravel from his tank as he will let you as the bacteria is all over this and if he uses a sponge filter to ask to chop part of and put it inside your filter, if you do this you might be able to skip the mature process almost entirely and add fish straight away but bulild them up slowly

Anyway heres a link with a picture of the cycle which might explain things a little better than my stoned drivel above
    http://www.microponics.net.au/wp-con...ogen-Cycle.jpg

Thanks

holy fuck i can waffle i didnt relise that post was that long hehe sorry guys!

Thanks

Hahah don't worry, I love information, the more the better! but you've opened a day for trouble now, I'm gonna pierce you with questions.. a clarification, the general amount of water cycling will be around 50 liter, but the fish themself will be in a aquarium about 30L, how many neon I can fit in there? I saw that neon shouldn't be put in a system that isn't well cycled, but I might get some good fish water, a sister of a friend of mine has a pet shop, and they sell lots of aquarium and fish I'm sure they got some, so how long should I wait with the neons? will a diet of live worms and veggy scraps be good? what about if a fish dies, do I leave it in for it to be broken down as well or will it kill the system? shit i'm so high right now, thats enough for now..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rastman For This Useful Post:

yoko2009 (15-03-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rastman View Post
    Hahah don't worry, I love information, the more the better! but you've opened a day for trouble now, I'm gonna pierce you with questions.. a clarification, the general amount of water cycling will be around 50 liter, but the fish themself will be in a aquarium about 30L, how many neon I can fit in there? I saw that neon shouldn't be put in a system that isn't well cycled, but I might get some good fish water, a sister of a friend of mine has a pet shop, and they sell lots of aquarium and fish I'm sure they got some, so how long should I wait with the neons? will a diet of live worms and veggy scraps be good? what about if a fish dies, do I leave it in for it to be broken down as well or will it kill the system? shit i'm so high right now, thats enough for now..
    Even though your tank holds 30 ltr still treat it as though its 50 ltr, its only with the larger fish you need to worry about space so much. Neons arnt very good for maturing your tank because they are so small and you need something to produce a bit of shit to get the cycle moving, if i was you use platties and mollies to mature once mature just take them back to the fish shop and swap them for some neons, if you mature with say 6-8 platties/mollies once tanks matured swap them for 12-16 neons, you could probably easily put 20-30 in there as long as you have decent filter which you will have as your plants will help keep the polution down. I wouldnt just have Tetras though, get yourself a few sucking loach or bristlenose plecs to keep the algea down or that will end up using all the nitrates instead of your plants, dont get normal plecs they get huge and will outgrow tank in no time, so sucking loach or bristle nose which range between 4-6" also get a few corydoras catfish for the bottom of the tank, there are hundreds of corydoras catfish and there active little catfish that will eat up all the food of the bottom and keep your gravel disturbed so you wont get a build up of waste in it. Make sure there corydoras catfish though as most other catfish love neons for lunch! just a thought a nicer fish than a neon is a cardinal tetra, very similar but much brighter than a neon but slightly more expensive, also get yourself some miniture south american cichlids such as Rams, They have some crazy little habits and great to watch when stoned. Food wise, you cant go wrong with live bloodworm a few times a week but make sure you siv the water through a net and rinse before putting inm your tank, dont use worms from the garden and dry food wise you cant go wrong with tetra min flake or even better for all the suggested fish above is a food called tetra prima which is a slow sinking granule.

any questions on fish please feel free to ask i havnt helped anyone in ages with my aquatic knowledge.........i feel needed hehe

Thanks

Yoko, I might need you on speed dial over the next few months

You said a 20% water change every two weeks? I thought you never sent any water to waste, just topped up?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast