Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 20 Minute, DIY Scrog 'Screen Tutorial!

Thanks

Default 20 Minute, DIY Scrog 'Screen Tutorial!

I originally created a 'scrog that was relatively unstable and was WAY to high for the plants (42", noob mistake) so I created a mini-tutorial for those of you who aren't sure how to get started. All of the items used in this tutorial were purchased at my local small hardware shop/lowes, so no need to order or sneak anything into the country for this one

Materials:

1. Tape Measure
    2. Hand Saw
    3. 4, 3/8" Wood Dowelings (48" Long)
    4. Phillips drill bit/Phillips Screwdriver
    5. 4, 1 in. x 1/2 in. L-Brackets w/ screws
    6. Pen/Marker
    7. Hand Drill w/ 1/16" bit
    8. 4 Small Wood Nails

9. Wood (Appropriately cut to suite your grow environment)
    10. 2" Vinyl Chicken Netting

Step #1

Cut the required amount from the roll of vinyl netting, and place close by while you place your wood in the correct positions

Step #2

Using your four L-Brackets, screw them in on the inside of each corner. My first version was simply using screws on the ends, and honestly, it stiffens it up 110% and is worth spending a few more to get them.

Step #3

Once you have completed this in all four corners, staple/nail/apply the netting to your frame.

Step #4

Mark your four downlings so that they will hold your scrog approx. 8-12" above the rim of your pot/bubbler/waterfarm/aquafarm.

Step #5

Using your hand saw, cut along the markings and throw away the scrap excess. Be sure to make straight cuts.

Step #6

Align to top of your scrog with the top of the doweling and mark the rough center.

Step #7

Pre-drill 1-2 holes with some space in between if you do 2. Be sure to pre-drill before hand to avoid the wood splitting or breaking . Having two nails in place of one, will ensure your legs don't fall out from under your screen during precious flower time , but one large wood screw will suffice.

Step #8

Apply doweling to the frame using nail(s) or screw(s). Repeat steps 7-8 for the remaining three legs.

Step #9

Flip screen right-side-up and sand off any excess on the legs to ensure it remains relatively even.

Step #10

Cleanup any mess, install in your grow environment and enjoy the results! I'm sure if made of the right materials and taken care of, this screen will last for many-a-grow or until you get a bigger space haha

For what its worth, hope it helps someone. Once my plants grow a bit, I will post some updates on how to actually 'ScrOG since theres no one place to get most of the info you need to do it.

- peace
    Last edited by growme; 16-03-10 at 10:14 PM.
    400w Perpetual Hydro Cab
    ------
    250w Kings Kush Scrog (Harvested)
    Afghan Kush LST (Harvested)
    ------
    "..the bible just felt like a less awesome lord of the rings." -Kevin Nealon.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to growme For This Useful Post:

Auld Yin (16-03-10), babykayla (23-10-11), blue-kay (11-06-13), brassknuckles (16-03-10), shark (30-03-10), Water Farmer (17-03-10)

Thanks

Nice effort man No sure boot the dowling fir legs. Dae ye think it would take the weight of a scrog mate ? Mibby use same wood as frame ?

Auld Yin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Auld Yin View Post
    Nice effort man No sure boot the dowling fir legs. Dae ye think it would take the weight of a scrog mate ? Mibby use same wood as frame ?

Auld Yin
    According to the employee at the lowes, they have a 10lb. limit, don't think I'll be doing a ten-pounder this time around its pretty easy to modify to your needs, just for me right now I think she'll work just fine. thanks for the props tho

Thanks

Fair dues mate. Wid be gid tae see an update wi pics as ye fill it Gid luk wi the grow mate.

Auld Yin

Thanks

nice one growme

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

Thanks mate, been wanting some more info on Scrogging as Im about to set up my screen so couldnt come at a better time.
    One thing I did wonder though. How exactly do you do it?

Am I right in thinking its literally a case of stick in screen then keep vegging (i.e. needs to be in final pot long before flowering?) and veg till the plant starts coming through the screen, then just start moving the branches so the leaves and eventually budsites are all at the top of the screen? Then when it looks nice and full start flowering?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Up_in_smoke View Post
    Thanks mate, been wanting some more info on Scrogging as Im about to set up my screen so couldnt come at a better time.
    One thing I did wonder though. How exactly do you do it?

Am I right in thinking its literally a case of stick in screen then keep vegging (i.e. needs to be in final pot long before flowering?) and veg till the plant starts coming through the screen, then just start moving the branches so the leaves and eventually budsites are all at the top of the screen? Then when it looks nice and full start flowering?
    I'm no expert, but from what I've read, that seems pretty accurate. Basically you want to get as many stems as possible to the screen for maximum light absorption. The ideal number is one stem per square, but some people go above and do 2 and sometimes more, really depends on the amount of bud your after. Usually after the first 2-3 weeks of veg, you can begin applying the screen and directing each branch/stem with soft twist-ties or even string into the desired hole. Scrog essentially LST with a twist of getting light to most of the buds instead of just whats on top. Since some branches will be longer, you can either bend em into a new square, or trim them.

^ I would use something other than zip ties, but thats just me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to growme For This Useful Post:

Up_in_smoke (18-03-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

Great post Growme.Very imformative.
    I would think that screen you have needs to be larger tho.One plant will fill that easily.
    The pic shown looks like a plant that has been grown thro a screen with a little supercropping rather than a plant that has been scrogged.Is it yours?Very nice

Im no expert but as Im scrogging at the mo I just thought Id share a few pointers.
    The idea of scrog is to create an even canopy so all buds get equal amounts of light.
    As the plant grows up towards the screen.(And i wouldnt let her get too big before you start the training.)The tops (what would be the main colas) shouldnt be allowed to grow thro the screen.
    The plant should be trained to grow out under the screen.As the tips tries to grow upwards you need to push it back down.So it grows along and outwards.
    By doing this you are encouraging the sattelite growth further down the stem to grow upwards thus filling the screen.

Be careful how long you wait before flipping to 12/12.I flipped with the screen almost empty and Im still having overcrowding issues.It dosent want to be too packed as you could get budrot in the later stages.
    So dont veg too long.Dont set the screen too high that the plant has to grow for 6 weeks to reach it thats just wasting time.Get her just growing nicely a little in the screen then flip.Its surprising how much she will fill it on 12/12

Also once the canopy is full nothing will grow underneath it, just airy bud as its very hard for the light to get through another reason not to be vegging too long
    Some people worry about trimming the growth under the canopy (hermie stress etc) but Iv just done it and all seems well.More power for the top and all that.
    Take a look at my diary Ill update soon Im pretty chuffed with the way its going

Peace
    Last edited by Bethmeg; 18-03-10 at 04:28 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

growme (29-03-10), Up_in_smoke (18-03-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

Thanks both of you for lots of great info.

If this topic was stickied for newbs like me, it wouldn't be a crime

Now hurry up you damn plants and get tall enough so I can start using this info, lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

growme (29-03-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Up_in_smoke View Post
    Thanks both of you for lots of great info.

If this topic was stickied for newbs like me, it wouldn't be a crime

Now hurry up you damn plants and get tall enough so I can start using this info, lol
    haha time-until-scrog made me anxious too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast