Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Undercurrent hydro systems

Thanks

u will have to go by the size of the uniseals u ordered for the pipe size but with the size of the pots ur using i'd use 40mm pipe min.

i had a 10 pot system with a 5000l pump and that was overkill so i'd start with running ur pump on the min setting.

im sure i fitted my flow and return pipes 75mm up from the bottom of the pot.

i always keep my water level with the bottom of the net pot, seem to get alot better roots

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the_grey_area For This Useful Post:

Hannibal (29-02-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,996 Times

Thanks for the info I have bought 2" uniseals and plan on using 2" for all my flow pipes but return i was going with the one inch the same dia as the pump. do you think I should go for the 3500 ltr pump or would you still go for the 5000 ltr given what you know now. How far up would you fit the flow pipes right at the bottom so when you drain so not much is left behind or would you leave a bit is case of pump failure.

Peace

Thanks

60mm pipe is good mate much better flow but make sure u keep pulling them roots back out the pipe at the start once u get a nice root ball its all good.

what i know now i would of gone with a 3000l pump with 10 pots but my pots was only 30l the ones u are getting are over 50l i think.

i would deffo have the flow and return pipes sitting at least 40mm from the bottom of the pot but someone else may know better, i had drain valves on all my pots at the lowest point i could fit to help with draining down, im sure if u ask sqydro for help with the ewc tea the draining down part wont be such a problem coz u dont need to change the res so much but i may b wrong im just reading up on all that now

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the_grey_area For This Useful Post:

Hannibal (29-02-12)

Icon Guest

Just use 40mm pipe with the flanges they cost about £1.00 each and you can get them here no point in waiting weeks for the states to deliver imho
    Id recommend 90L tubs at £15 each can use 2 and put 2 plants in each
    and a pump at about £30-40.

Dont forget this system is noisy btw
    ATB
    Icon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:

Hannibal (29-02-12)

Thanks

Thanks for all your help, the boxes I have bought are 35lt so you would have gone bigger then. I wish I knew about the flange fitting you refer to before I had ordered these uniseals could have saved quite a bit on them. Normaly when I order things from the states it doesn't take long for them to get here its customs here that takes the time. if you track the parcel you can usually see them clear customs then you can chase the delivery company and pay the duty over the phone and they arrive the next day. I usually get my delivery in just over a week this way. I will keep your idea in mind just in case I end up waiting and waiting. I now wish I had asked before I started ordering the bits. The tea you mention I guess this is to start benificial bacterier colonising your system. Can you please help with this Sqydro.

Thanks

I guess the root problem you just check it often with that one, how often do they become a problem is it a weekly check Item. Does the system hold its PH well, as the golden rule with fish keeping is the bigger the amount of water the easier it is to keep balanced. Would an ultra violet filter they use in fish keeping not help with the algi that seems to be a problem or does the tea take care of this anyway.

Sorry for all these questions I just want to learn as much as I can.

Also i would like to appologise to morecbd for taking over his thread I didn't mean to but just like you I am very curious, I presumed that It would be ok as it is related to you original question.

Thanks

My boxes have arrived today, they look just the job, they came in a bit cheaper than expected at just over a tenner each, I'm itching to get started I have just ordered the pump of Ebay, I have gone for the Eheim 3000ltr/hr model but this pump can be turned down if it tunrs out to powerfull which there are alot of cheaper pumps than this one but the control of the flow I thought would be better.

link to the pump I have gone for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eheim-Comp...item4cfcd9a66a

I already have some of the other bits required.

8x 200mm net pots
    8x 4" circular flat air stones
    8x drippers
    1x feed pump for the drippers
    1x large air pump with 8 outlets.

The pipeing to complete the system will come from a local pluming supplier.

I hope the uniseals come soon as I will probably use Icons approach to the job if the dont.

Thanks

Cool

Hi Icon I have looked into the 40mm flange fittings you suggested and it would have been a very good solution. They are not as cheap as you think though the best I have found so far is £2.77+ vat which would have been a lot cheaper than the uniseals though and redilly available. I also think that the 40mm size for the pipe and fittings is more prudent as there is a better range of fittings in that size. I am stuck now waiting for the uniseals as it will cost me another £70 to change now,if I had of had your info earlier then I would have used your method it seems very cost effective.

Thanks for you input.

Icon Guest

Cheap as chips
    I use a plumbers merchant called James Hargreaves they are yorks based and last time i bought some they were £1.00 try your local merchants for best prices
    if you do go with this then there are two sizes very close to each other one size is push fit the other size has to be glued or cemented using Silicone or PVA cement
    The push fits are ok if every thing is straight but if you stress the joints you can get a leak either way you can glue the push fittings once your happy with the set up
    Hopefully the uniseals arrive they do work well as far as i have heard on here but so do the flanges if fitted right
    If you do go with the flanges pm me and i will go into detail for you
    ATB
    Icon

Thanks

Yes thanks for that I will try localy as I dont mind and extra £20 or so. I can allway's stick the uniseal on ebay and make my money back. The push fits sound the best I dont expect much movement from my tanks but I could put some 1" square retainer battens around the pots so the dont move too much.

Thanks GG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast