Thread: Lower humidity cheap and easy

Dirk Gently Guest

Cool Lower humidity cheap and easy

I stood in my kitchen next to the worktop and noticed as I had removed the milk from the freezer and sat it on the worktop to defrost, how it gradually became more and more covered in water.
    If you put a frozen liquid of some sort (in a container obv) the low temperature will cause the moisture in the air to condense on it's surface. This will remove a lot of moisture from the air in the growspace. Obviously it would lower the temp in the grow room so try to keep it as low to the ground as possible. This should also decrease the likelihood of the condensed water re-evaporating back into the air (unless you can think of a way to drain it off outside of the space).

This is an untested hypothesis and am currently pretty up due to the early Sativa crop. Epiphany or bollocks. Rhetorical.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Gently For This Useful Post:

Daval (15-07-10), television (14-06-10), up2nogood (07-04-10)

Thanks

Sounds like a sound idea. Also, if it cools the air down in the grow space then the air will not hold so much moisture in it anyway
    First grow
    250W CFL stealth hempy. Jock Horror.
    Second grow 375W CFL stealth hempy. Early Girl.

Thanks

I think if your talking a litre or two frozen bottle of pop in a 1m3 space then the air volume in the room would make any difference to RH insignificant. However i'm not a physicist.

Dirk Gently Guest

Oh nor I. But I am an ideas man. Good ones and bad ones.

Thanks

I think you would waste more energy than having an 2kw Air Con than freezing 40ltrs of milk every hour repeativly heh :P
    -=BMAB=-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dirk Gently Guest

Probably true. Some of us can't afford a 2kW Air con unit though. You don't have to use milk. I'm lucky enough that the cold water pipe to the house runs through my space and it's constantly covered in moisture which runs right down under the floor.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Gently For This Useful Post:

the shrubman (14-04-10)

Thanks

Idea of low humidity is really interesting.Low humidity can cause browning and drying of leaf margins, wilting and overall growth of the poor as the bulk water plants in dry environment faster than they can collect.

Thanks

i have one in a cellar atm and getting browning leafs but im thinkin due to high humidity cus the leafs are wet in a morning before lights on...any suggestions????
    I Don't Fuck Around

Thanks

rice, salt, Desiccant Silica?

DIY DEHUMIDIFIER
    Drill a hole in the bottom of a medium sized plastic bucket with an electrical drill. The hole should be at least quarter inch in diameter. (Alternatively, you can bore the hole using a screwdriver or other sharp pointed object.)

Place a piece of chicken wire or mesh at the bottom of the bucket to cover the hole. Size to fit by placing the mesh underneath the base of the bucket and tracing the perimeter onto the mesh using a marker pen. Use tin snips or wire cutters to cut the mesh.

Fill the bucket with rock salt (the kind used to melt ice) and place on a stand. The stand should be resistant to drying or corrosion from the salt and be porous enough to allow moisture to drip through. The ideal stand would be similar to a stack of plastic milk crates.

Place a second bucket underneath the stand to catch moisture content. This bucket does not have a hole in it and is simply a net to prevent captured moisture from seeping onto the floor.

Give the homemade dehumidifier a few days to get working properly. The industrial strength salt should pull water into it and then release it, letting the water drip out of the bottom of the top bucket into the bottom bucket.

Direct moisture towards the bucket system using a box fan to increase effectiveness. This is not necessary in smaller areas, but will help collect moisture in larger rooms.

here is good site for research on more expensive stuff concerning wet basements http://www.wet-basement-repair.com

this is really the ultimate but it cost nothing to run and will also warm your basement.. http://www.solarventi.co.uk

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tosh For This Useful Post:

almighty chronic (11-09-10), GreenGoblin420 (10-07-11), Hellrazor (05-06-17), pagan86 (15-10-10), pedro sanchez (01-03-11), smokey69 (14-09-10), swampy1111 (09-11-10)