Thread: Propagator - how to use?

Thanks

Default Propagator - how to use?

I just did another clone before it was too late as starting flower cycle today.

I have a 2 quid propagator from asda, i have failed at doing seeds in, well tom plants worked, chillies and beans did f all. Got some clones in but i think there not gona make it so did a totally fresh cut just now. Was i right in cutting it dipping it in clonex then putting in the prop in a cube space with soil and bit of perlite. Now ppl say to spray the leaves and the plastic top dome, i have been doing that but i duno. I did clones in the past for tom plants and 1 kiwiskunk not using propagators which worked but did take weeks to establish and grow. Im hopin propagator is faster i heard ppl have roots in 4 days. Well the clones i did before were in pots then in propagator and been a about since sunday so 3 days in for them but been weeks in pots and still ne roots and yeah did clonex tho not when i cut em off the mother.

Basically am i doing it right cos i dont think i am. This clone is the first to be freshly cut and put in the pro straight away with clonex, i gave it a little spray of water on leaves and on the prop lid. And its in my grow room where a 250w red is on now for 12/12 cycle. Should i take the prop out and say just have it on kitchen side or somit? What temps are best and humidty? How long till i see roots come from the hole at bottom of the square section the clones put in?

Edit - Gone and put em in kitchen instead might work better there i duno if a reply says otherwise ill do what they say.
    Last edited by Skeeter; 14-04-10 at 07:14 PM.
    Everything that i say is a work of fiction i.e made up, this forum is full of fiction i.e made up stories. All pics are found on the internet to show a visual identification to go with our stories we write for fun.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,124 Times

Yeah mate, cut the clones shortly below a node with a razor blade, at a 45degree angle, ensuring a nice clean cut - then straight into clonex, then into pots with ever so damp soil(not proper wet, just so that it's got a tiny bit of moisture in it), give a few wee sprays and then close prop and leave them to it! If you're using your light keep it nice and high above the prop so it's not too hot and just evaporating all the water. If you can't keep it high enough, stick 'em on a south facing windowsill! Time and patience are the only other things you need.. The plants will do the rest of it themselves.. You may lose some, but it's always a nice feeling when you get 100% success Just mind and not keep them too moist, but never let them dry out completely.. That's important!

Thanks

Does it have to be below a node, i did it i think about 1cm down from a node.

Thanks

Pics, the large one is cut from today. Pretty sure its from the right part tho looks like a Y to me ah well. Defo was the end of a sucka from the mother.

With lid and sprayed the lids inside which i thought i was supose to do.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,124 Times

Doesn't have to be, no But I've found recently that it works better when they are. Other people I know have also had success with cutting tiny slits in the stem in a couple places before putting in clonex, etc as normal.. but I figure it's best to just let them do their thing without being slashed up too much Your cuts are a wee bit small but they should be able to take - just sit back and see what happens!

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

eggbox given you some good advice there bud..

Looking for New Pastures

Thanks

The middle row or near and the top one, is the toppin of the mother, only had a 1cm stem on it lol. Figured id try clone it tho doubts are high.

Cheers for the advice mate, well appreciated.

Btw temp in kitchen its saying on hygrometre is 15 atm. That too cold or alrite? I mean herbs on windowsill are doing ok, great infact. But with clones they need tlc really so i duno. Humidity is 87 ish i think atm.
    Last edited by Skeeter; 14-04-10 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,426 Times

Clones dont really need that much tlc mate, they just take time... Days of nothingness! But there easy peasy, your overthinking it Ive never checked the temps of humidity in my prop ever!

As said most of them cuts look a bit too small, the biggest one looks about right...

When you dip em in the clonex hold em there for a good 10-15 seconds.. Put em into moist plug/cube etc as said by eggbox, spray em with water, spray the inside of the prop and close the vents..

I keep vents closed first two days , then gradually open them over a week... I only spray them every 2 days or so.. and keep a bit water on the floor of the prop..

Some of my cuts take up to two weeks to root..

Thanks

Had 2 big ones in pots cut em down to size tho to fit prop which u can see, one had a snapped stem so chucked it other is there 2nd down from top middle iirc. It was in soil for two weeks looked healthy didnt wilt but then didnt show roots or new growth hence tried prop for em.