Thread: Cloning, Harvesting, drying and curing questions:)

Thanks

Default Cloning, Harvesting, drying and curing questions:)

As this is my first grow, I have a few (well, actually, lots, but I'll try and ask them bit by bit ) questions.
    I have 2 Trainwrecks and 2 Top44s currently under 12/12 lighting to try and get ready for Glastonbury festival at the end of June. They have been under 12/12 since last monday, and as yet there appears to be no change.
    Cloning- From what I read, this is just a question of taking a cutting and allowing it to root and grow...it will then be the same age and sex as the donor. If I do this now, and keep it outside in a coldframe, presumably it wont flower until its back to 12/12 lighting? Having started on 12/12 a few days ago, have I missed this opportunity?
    Harvesting- Assuming these things flower and progress well enough to be ready for my deadline, how long do I need after cutting them down, for them to be ready? I have also seen mention of 'flushing' prior to harvest...whats the purpose of this, and what does it entail?
    Curing- I assume this means preparing the buds for consumption? How long does it take, and can it be speeded up?
    I was going to cut them down as late as possible, hang them to dry in the grow cabinet (which has a heater and carbon extraction) I have access to a dehumidifier...presumably this will speed up the drying process? Good idea?
    All advice and recommendations gratefully received!

PG Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
    As this is my first grow, I have a few (well, actually, lots, but I'll try and ask them bit by bit ) questions.
    I have 2 Trainwrecks and 2 Top44s currently under 12/12 lighting to try and get ready for Glastonbury festival at the end of June. They have been under 12/12 since last monday, and as yet there appears to be no change. It can take up to a couple of weeks for flowering to start after flipping 12/12, you could try giving the plants 24/48 hrs of darkness, then go 12/12 this can sometimes give them a kick start.

Cloning- From what I read, this is just a question of taking a cutting and allowing it to root and grow...it will then be the same age and sex as the donor. If I do this now, and keep it outside in a coldframe, presumably it wont flower until its back to 12/12 lighting? Having started on 12/12 a few days ago, have I missed this opportunity? Yes a clone is the same genetic age as the mother it was taken from. It'll continue to veg until either you put it in to 12/12, or if your leaving it outdoors you can expect it to start flowering sometime in September. Cuttings can be taken from plants in flower, general rule of thumb is, the further in to flower the doner plant is, the longer it will take for the cut to show roots, so if your doner is only about a week in to 12/12, the cuts shouldn't take too long at all.

Harvesting- Assuming these things flower and progress well enough to be ready for my deadline, how long do I need after cutting them down, for them to be ready? I have also seen mention of 'flushing' prior to harvest...whats the purpose of this, and what does it entail?
    Curing- I assume this means preparing the buds for consumption? How long does it take, and can it be speeded up?
    I was going to cut them down as late as possible, hang them to dry in the grow cabinet (which has a heater and carbon extraction) I have access to a dehumidifier...presumably this will speed up the drying process? Good idea? Flushing is done to rid the medium of unused nutes before the end of flower so the taste of the bud isn't tainted by the nutrients. In summer I dry in my loft, no heater is needed, just a small fan to help air circulation and ensure the buds dry out evenly, they usually take about a week to 10 days before they're ready to go in to jars for curing, curing isn't essential, it does make the bud burn better and taste smoother and some say it increases the strength, but if you're working to a dead line, i.e Glasto, there's nothing wrong with smoking uncured bud. A dehumidifier is a good idea, in flower and in the drying room but again, not essential. In summer you shouldn't need a heater to dry bud, it'll cause it to dry too quick and it'll taste like crap.
    All advice and recommendations gratefully received!
    Hope that helps

Percy

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PG For This Useful Post:

TooOldForThis (08-05-10), vdubber (08-05-10), wert (08-05-10)

Thanks

I've just finished some trainwreck, and it seemed to take a bit longer than the other strains to get into the full swing of flowering, I usually allow for a couple of weeks to dry, I reckon the slower it is dried the better it will taste/smoke.
    Vdubber

Thanks

OK, so allowing 1 to 2 weeks for curing, and a week for drying, I have 3 weeks available for flowering, and I am, as yet, unable to even tell what sex they are....
    Doest look like I have long enough, does it, given that my 'deadline' is 6 weeks away?
    How long do I need to 'flush' for? I am assuming this just entails plenty of watering without additional nutrients?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,621 Times

If you've only just put them into flowering I'd say having them ready for Glasto is pushing it a bit. Weed growing time is like computer time in my experience - take your original time estimate & at least double it...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ganesha For This Useful Post:

TooOldForThis (08-05-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,340 Times

They wont be ready in time and u cant chop em till they ready unfortunately mate, sal about patience this game as they often go longer than stated times.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dekay For This Useful Post:

Ganesha (08-05-10), TooOldForThis (08-05-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,061 Times

11. The Following User Says Thank You to seanMcPot For This Useful Post:

TooOldForThis (08-05-10)

Thanks

Bugger! I thought germinating them mid march would have given me ample time.
    But I lost a couple of weeks due to my lighting not being up to scratch (75w HPS). Once I swapped to a 300w CFL they have made much better progress.
    Would 'bending' them to increase node growth also have had a delaying effect?
    Hopefully the 2 Top44s I have growing along side them (started mid April) might still produce in time?

Thanks

You'll burn as you work
    You'll burn as you play
    Some of you are smouldering
    With ignorance and hate... & with Anxiety, Babylon's burning, Babylon's burning... with Anxiety...

Havnt heard those lyrics in a while....The Ruts, circa 79/80 I believe? Those were the days)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TooOldForThis For This Useful Post:

Ganesha (08-05-10)

Thanks

Good news!
    1 of the TW is definitely femaile, the other I am 90% sure is...a little too early to be ceratin.....
    No signs on the Top 44s yet, but hopefully there will be soon.