Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: computer error

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

Unhappy computer error

hey lads,think this is where you ask a comp question..
    my stepson gave me his sata hard drive to get his files for him but my comp is a IDE type,anyway I got a sata to IDE converter but when I put his hard drive into my pc and boot up to bios settings it doesnt show his hard drive,even when I press auto find..when i boot up with both his and mine hard drive,my being the master the comp doesnt even come on,just says disk error...
    when i take his out of my comp my is ok and comes on..strange,I am usually good with pcs but not sure why this is happening?

Looking for New Pastures

Thanks

you check the jumpers in the HDs if they are one in Master and the other in Slave Master?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgd View Post
    you check the jumpers in the HDs if they are one in Master and the other in Slave Master?
    hi sgd..you're a computer wizard aren't you? l..anyway, sata drives does not require any jumpers but i have my hard drive as master and also the IDE cable says master is connected to my drive,my stepsons drive does not have any operating system on as its only used for files and data,it was in a buffalo usb exterior case but thats knackerd hence me buying this IDE to SATA converter..when I just plug in his sata drive and take my cables off mine drive the pc shows his drive as a 500g but whn i put my back in my pc with both his and mine his doesnt even show up..

Thanks

i'm confused... is it a USB sata - IDE converter cable?

if so think i know the problem
    -=BMAB=-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

i dont know much of hardware im more in the are of web development and this hardware related stuff, im just trying to help

probably is the file format in the HDs is causing some kind of error... they have both the same file format? like FAT32, NTFS, EXT3...? which OS you run? Windox, Linux? you have on your avatar the logo of FreeBSD, is what you use?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sgd For This Useful Post:

up2nogood (08-05-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BuildMeAButterFly View Post
    i'm confused... is it a USB sata - IDE converter cable?

if so think i know the problem
    ok..it is a sata drive mate and it was in a exterior buffalo http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Techno.../dp/B001EKW0O4
    this is broken so I took out the hard drive and have just got a ide to sata converter http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-Serial-ATA...item1c125b37da
    i use this connect my ide cable to his hard drive but its not showing up when i use both hard drives

Thanks

Have a look in the BIOS and see if you can change the emulation from AHCI to IDE emulation, If you are running in AHCI most likely won't work so change this setting to IDE emulation, I would recommend in future a USB IDE - sata addaptor would be easier with older PC's

**Another thing you can check is in "manage" by right clicking "my computer - manage - disk management" and see if the drive IS there and needs a drive letter as it might be conflicting with a current drive you have "normally the CD drive on most pcs i see secondary HDD's not working" so change it to something else by right clicking and "change drive letter"

**But if you can't see the HDD in the bios then you won't get that far.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BuildMeAButterFly For This Useful Post:

up2nogood (08-05-10)

Thanks

nice stuff BuildMeAButterFly. now that you talk on that AHCI e remmeber to have a problem with a SATA1 HD like that, on boot stuck on the windows logo always, but i cant remember the acronym of the letters now, but i switch to 'disabled' in the BIOS and was something like that AHCI thing and it did the trick but now i cant remember if is that AHCI

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sgd For This Useful Post:

BuildMeAButterFly (08-05-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BuildMeAButterFly View Post
    Have a look in the BIOS and see if you can change the emulation from AHCI to IDE emulation, If you are running in AHCI most likely won't work so change this setting to IDE emulation, I would recommend in future a USB IDE - sata addaptor would be easier with older PC's

**Another thing you can check is in "manage" by right clicking "my computer - manage - disk management" and see if the drive IS there and needs a drive letter as it might be conflicting with a current drive you have "normally the CD drive on most pcs i see secondary HDD's not working" so change it to something else by right clicking and "change drive letter"

**But if you can't see the HDD in the bios then you won't get that far.
    ok will try that later mate..the thing is when i connect both hard drives I can not get my pc working,it just says disk error so I can not get into manage..hmmm..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgd View Post
    i dont know much of hardware im more in the are of web development and this hardware related stuff, im just trying to help

probably is the file format in the HDs is causing some kind of error... they have both the same file format? like FAT32, NTFS, EXT3...? which OS you run? Windox, Linux? you have on your avatar the logo of FreeBSD, is what you use?
    yes i apreciate your helps thanks mate..I am using XP

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast