Thread: just starting my first grow..

Thanks

Thumbs up just starting my first grow..

hi everyone,
    i've been lurking on here quite a while, picking thru what i think i need to know, and now i've decided to take the plunge...so i have 12 little plants in pots outside, germed from bag seed, straight into JI no1.. which they seem to be liking, that and the recent good weather !

they are few inches tall now and starting to show their true leaf pattern, so hey ho in they come !

i'm gonna be growing in my cellar, which has restricted headspace, so no doubt i'll have to top them and supercrop them, but hey they are bagseed, cost me nothing, so i figure i'll make my mistakes with these, then get some good genes..

I'm also thinking that i'm gonna lose a foot in available grow space due to the size of the pots, but i have a plan !

i'm thinking that i'll grow them in pots until sexed, then i'm gonna dig the floor down a foot in a trench approx 1m square, either to accomodate the pots themselves (hoping to get 6 girls from 12 seedlings) or, more likely, to make a sunken bed.

i've read Soma's guide to raised bed gardening, and i see no reason why exactly the same set up wont work in a sunken bed. so i dig the trench, insulate and line it with B/W sheeting, fill an inch deep with clay pellets, wire in the passive air flow pipes at either end of the trench, put down a sheet of chicken wire followed by a layer of rooting felt, then fill with compost..

the waterproof membrane should allow me to pull the lot up in one go when i'm done and drag it out to the garden with no mess (lol) when i am finished.

has anyone else done this or heard of it done ? any recommendations ?

thanks to everyone for maintaining a great site by the way, some of the grow diaries are a real inspiration !
    “I believe that God left certain drugs growing naturally upon our planet to help speed up and facilitate our evolution. OK, not the most popular idea ever expressed. Either that or you're all real high and agreeing with me in the only way you can right now. (Starts blinking)” ~ Bill Hicks

Thanks

...or alternatively, dig the sunken bed now and plant them straight in, which i would prefer to lessen the stresses on the plant, given that i'm gonna deliberately stress them later on to keep them low. the advatage would be a free root system for every plant, the disadvantage will become obvious when i have to pull the males and i fuck up the spacing...i might end up with a cluster at one end and empty at the other..

hmmm...some advice would be much appreciated !..