Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: EC Meters Tutorial

Thanks

Have finally got my truncheon - favourite toy ever!

Got resevoir at ec of 1.0 (playing it safe), ph at 5.8 and 24 hrs later ph 5.9, ec 0.8 so i topped up resevoir with a stronger solution so that ec settled back to 1.1, ph 5.8.
    Just wanted to make sure that this was the correct thing to do - when i top up the res should i always aim to do this?

They all look to be responding really well - 10 days into flower, fully recovered from the overfeed, growing rapidly - definite signs of flowering all over all of them.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazydayz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18), illearth67 (16-01-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,791 Times

Quote Originally Posted by lazydayz View Post
    Have finally got my truncheon - favourite toy ever!

Got resevoir at ec of 1.0 (playing it safe), ph at 5.8 and 24 hrs later ph 5.9, ec 0.8 so i topped up resevoir with a stronger solution so that ec settled back to 1.1, ph 5.8.
    Just wanted to make sure that this was the correct thing to do - when i top up the res should i always aim to do this?

They all look to be responding really well - 10 days into flower, fully recovered from the overfeed, growing rapidly - definite signs of flowering all over all of them.
    Hi thanks for the update.
    Yes that is perfect the pattern of falling EC and rising ph is exactly what you expect if the plants are feeding properly and the rapid growth confirms this.
    What you are doing is the correct way to dial in your EC just keep doing this until you find the sweet spot.
    You want the EC to drop slowly but surely over a 24 hour period and the ph to rise. The slower the drop in EC the closer you are to the sweet spot.
    If the EC rises this is a sure sign of over feeding and your plants can burn very quickly so dilute the reservoir immediately if you see this.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by illearth67; 16-01-15 at 12:38 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to illearth67 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18), lazydayz (16-01-15), Smokeface (18-03-15)

Thanks

Brilliant - thanks for all the help buddy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazydayz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18), illearth67 (16-01-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,708 Times

Thank you.

Great info for a noob like me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18)

Thanks

Thanks for the write up help me out alto cheers
    Can u tell me wats the best ec to be st in veg /flower?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to budmonkey1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18)

Thanks

any charts on the conversion rates. bought a cheap meter online but i get the us measurements

thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to onion ring For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

I believe that's just a decimal place you need to change... for example if it reads 1200 it's 1.2 EC. There are a few places online that will convert it for you though just to be sure.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReeferDankness For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18), onion ring (21-04-16)

Thanks

thanks reefer i read somewhere that the us/cm means 1 millinith of a siemen but i thought that might be too much calculation and tried to break it down to the standard Hundreth/tenths/units

16. The Following User Says Thank You to onion ring For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18)

Thanks

Default EC Meter Reading

Quote Originally Posted by illearth67 View Post
    Ok guys I've decided to write this tutorial on the correct use of EC meters in hydroponics.
    I know from reading diaries/posts on here that it is a subject that comes up regularly so hopefully this will address most of the issues.

Let's start at the beginning, EC refers to the electrical conductivity of an object, in our case the EC of our hydro reservoir.
    The EC is a measure of the nutrient solutions ability to conduct electricity which is useful because it depends on the amount of nutes so more nutes means higher EC and vice versa.
    Much of the confusion surrounding EC is caused because there are three different units of measurement that are used

1 )siemens per meter s/m or sm-1
    2 )parts per million ppm
    3 )total dissolved solids tds

The last two units are defunct and soon to be assigned to the dustbin of history while the first is the internationally recognized unit adopted by the scientific community so I will only be dealing with that.
    OK as we have seen the basic unit of EC is the siemen per meter, i.e. it's ability to conduct electricity over a known distance.
    Now that is all fine and dandy but for our purposes it can be a bit unwieldy because we are measuring very, very small readings.
    For example if I go and take a reading from my res just now my digital EC meter might say
    "123" with a small "x10" symbol flashing in the corner. So what does that mean?
    Well first off you have to be aware that most hydro EC meters are calibrated to give readings in micro siemens per meter (us/m or usm-1) not siemens per meter.
    This is shown by a "us" symbol above the display and most digital hydro EC meters will have this symbol.
    So in this example my meter is telling me I have a EC of 123x10 micro siemens per meter or 1230 us/m.
    OK great I have a reading from my meter in units I understand so how does this relate to my grow?
    If you are a hydro grower then you will be familiar with feeding schedules like the one I use for my canna aqua nutes.
    Pay attrention to the recommended EC levels on the right hand column of these table.
    You'll see numbers like 1.2-1.4 so you probably wonder how that relates to my previous reading of 1230 us/m?
    If you look closely at the bottom of the table you'll see that recommended maximum EC is given as 2.8ms/cm or 2.8 milli siemens per centimeter so what does this mean?
    This tells me that all EC values in the table are given in milli siemens and not micro siemens so we have to take that into account.
    2.8ms/cm =2.8 x10-3 siemens per centimeter = 0.0028 siemens per centimeter, done by moving the decimal point 3 places to the left as indicated by the "milli" prefix.
    Another thing to notice is the move away from siemens per meter to siemens per centimeter but this doesn't matter because the measurement is still taken over a known distance and this is already dialled into you EC meter so don't worry about it just concentrate on the siemens value.
    Basically the move away from siemens to milli siemens is done merely for convenience, it's easier to write 2.8 ms than 0.0028 s.
    So basically what we want to do is convert our meter reading in micro siemens into the more commonly used milli siemens. How do we do that.
    OK back to the example.
    I have a reading of 1230 us that I want to express in ms.
    1230 micro siemens = 1230 millionths of a siemen = 1230x10-6 = 0.001230 siemens done by moving the decimal point six places to the left as indicated by the micro prefix.
    0.001230 siemens = 1.230 milli siemens done by moving the decimal point 3 places to the right.
    So now I have my answer in terms I can work with, my EC is 1.23 milli siemens.
    So that is what all the maths boils down to in the end, you will be converting from micro siemens to milli siemens to tie in your readings with the feeding guides and all you have to do is move the decimal point 3 places to the left.
    for example
    1)meter reading = 500 = 0.5 milli siemens
    2)meter reading = 100 x10 = 1000 micro siemens = 1.0 milli siemen
    3)meter reading = 190 x10 = 1900 micro siemens = 1.9 milli siemen

Here is a useful online converter you migh find

Remember always pay attention to the flashing "x10" indicator if it appears!
    Comments and questions are welcome.
    Hi there, New to Dwc, have been a soil growing until now. I have brought a blue coloured EC meter off ebay. It's calibrated in US to > 500us/cm. I get a meter reading of 200 from my oxypot Res. But I get no x10 symbol flash up. Just 200. After reading your tutorial does that mean I'm getting 2.0 EC. Or do I multiply the 200 x 10 รท .5 to get my EC value. Pls help cuz I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.? Any help or advice would be gr8ful appreciated. :-)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Quattro2426 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-18)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5