Thread: Brown Rust Coloured Spots/Marks on leaves

Thanks

Default Brown Rust Coloured Spots/Marks on leaves

Hi people, my first trip to the infirmary

My Himalaya Blue Diesel Auto that is about 1.5 months old and approx 2 after showing sex is showing some ugly looking brown/rust coloured spots in between the leaf veins mainly on the lower fans leaves.

The leaves seem to feel very dry and crispy too, and seemed to have cupped slightly and drooped as well. New growth seems fine, and the plant seems healthy enough otherwise. It doesn't seem to be a huge problem yet, but I imagine if it got worse it could well be.

Here's some pics:

The plant is outside grown in a 8 litre polypot in B&Q multipurpose compost. I started feeding it some Tomorite about 2 weeks ago. The plan was to only feed it once a week, but I think I may have overdone it as I gave it 3 feeds in about 6 days. Silly I know, but it was just because it been very hot and dry here the last week so I was watering more frequently I thought I might as well add some food too. Out of those 3 feeds 2 were at 1/2 strength.

The Tomorite NPK ratio is: 4/4.5/8 with added Magnesium and seaweed extract.

When I've googled brown rust spot on leaves alot of people seem to be saying its a Magnesium deficiency however as the Tomorite contains magnesium surely it can't be that.

I think I've just overdone the feed and have flushed the plant thoroughly today, however I thought I'd best seek some expert advise!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,794 Times

yes magnesium deficiency doesn't seem likely I would say it looks like a calcium deficiency/lockout problem.
    “The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”

Winston Churchill

3. The Following User Says Thank You to illearth67 For This Useful Post:

mrtank (23-06-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by illearth67 View Post
    yes magnesium deficiency doesn't seem likely I would say it looks like a calcium deficiency/lockout problem.
    ok cheers... what would you suggest should be the remedy?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrtank For This Useful Post:

illearth67 (24-06-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,794 Times

The Tomorite NPK ratio is: 4/4.5/8 with added Magnesium and seaweed extract.

When I've googled brown rust spot on leaves alot of people seem to be saying its a Magnesium deficiency however as the Tomorite contains magnesium surely it can't be that.

I think I've just overdone the feed and have flushed the plant thoroughly today, however I thought I'd best seek some expert advise!
    Your plant is almost certainly suffering from calcium lockout caused by high levels of nitrogen and potassium in the soil from your overfeeding.
    the flushing should sort things out pretty quickly, if not there maybe a more subtle cause.
    Also 8 liter pots are rather small for a 1.5 month old plant so I'm not surprised there's been a nute build up in the soil, you really want to be repotting very soon.
    Last edited by illearth67; 24-06-10 at 01:21 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to illearth67 For This Useful Post:

mrtank (24-06-10)

Thanks

cheers illearth

its a auto plant so I think it should be finished in 3-4weeks, I think 8litres is meant to be fine for these smaller autos, and I think re-potting is meant to stress autos out a bit too much.

thanks for helping me out, hopefully the flushing will sort it out, the only other problem I can think of is I added some water retaining polymer crystals to the soil, so hopefully these aren't retaining the nutes too much and preventing the flushing working.

Thanks again buddy!

Thanks

rub down and re-spray they'll be fine

Thanks

@mrtank: been following your grow with interest, not commented so far but wanted to throw in my £0.02 in case it's of interest. .

SWIM started off 10 HBDs on 17th March (just under 6 weeks prior to yours), ended up with 4 decent girls, grown on in a plastic greenhouse and was expecting them to take 12 weeks from seed as the general wisdom is that outdoor autoflowers take a couple weeks longer. After 12 weeks of sunlight & Canna nutes they looked pretty, but the yield didn't. SWIM reports that the first pistils are just turning brown this morning and he's still a week or two from harvest, so is thinking a total of nearer 4 months than 3. Of course, your rooftop is going to get more sunlight than a plastic greenhouse, so I'd be interested to hear how long they actually do take in full sun. So... don't be alarmed if they take a week longer than you're expecting. If they don't, then I'd like to know about it because maybe SWIM's greenhouse isn't doing him any favours.

Now for the bit you want to hear. Yesterday SWIM couldn't wait any longer and clipped one tiny bud, the size of his little fingernail, from the top of one of the plants. He stuck it in an empty propagator, let it dry out in full sun, and was able to roll it an hour and a half later. SWIM rolled one average joint in a small paper, and blazed it.

Flavour wasn't all that, as you'd expect from a quick dry, but the effect? Wow. SWIM hasn't been hit that hard since he last blazed a fat joint of cheese and was *very* contented for about 4 hours off next to nothing. SWIM fears he is now going to struggle to let the rest mature because even now before it is totally ripe, it is ten or twenty times better than anything on the street at present. To put that in context, SWIM has been smoking 1/2oz of blueberry a week for a couple months, and it's ten or twenty times better than that.

With regard to pot size, SWIM starts them in 3.5L pots, 6" square by 8" deep, and repots into 11L square pots when plants are about a foot high. This is before they become truly potbound and the root ball is fragile at that time, but SWIM hasn't lost any to repotting yet. SWIM will experiment with sowing direct into 11L pots when he has the space and the seeds, but it most definitely is viable to repot provided you don't start in something so small the seed can't throw a decent taproot. Hope this is of some interest, look forward to hearing more about your grow. That plant is worth all the TLC you can throw at it... be warned that it may throw some THC back!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post:

mrtank (24-06-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magick777 View Post
    @mrtank: been following your grow with interest, not commented so far but wanted to throw in my £0.02 in case it's of interest. .

SWIM started off 10 HBDs on 17th March (just under 6 weeks prior to yours), ended up with 4 decent girls, grown on in a plastic greenhouse and was expecting them to take 12 weeks from seed as the general wisdom is that outdoor autoflowers take a couple weeks longer. After 12 weeks of sunlight & Canna nutes they looked pretty, but the yield didn't. SWIM reports that the first pistils are just turning brown this morning and he's still a week or two from harvest, so is thinking a total of nearer 4 months than 3. Of course, your rooftop is going to get more sunlight than a plastic greenhouse, so I'd be interested to hear how long they actually do take in full sun. So... don't be alarmed if they take a week longer than you're expecting. If they don't, then I'd like to know about it because maybe SWIM's greenhouse isn't doing him any favours.

Now for the bit you want to hear. Yesterday SWIM couldn't wait any longer and clipped one tiny bud, the size of his little fingernail, from the top of one of the plants. He stuck it in an empty propagator, let it dry out in full sun, and was able to roll it an hour and a half later. SWIM rolled one average joint in a small paper, and blazed it.

Flavour wasn't all that, as you'd expect from a quick dry, but the effect? Wow. SWIM hasn't been hit that hard since he last blazed a fat joint of cheese and was *very* contented for about 4 hours off next to nothing. SWIM fears he is now going to struggle to let the rest mature because even now before it is totally ripe, it is ten or twenty times better than anything on the street at present. To put that in context, SWIM has been smoking 1/2oz of blueberry a week for a couple months, and it's ten or twenty times better than that.

With regard to pot size, SWIM starts them in 3.5L pots, 6" square by 8" deep, and repots into 11L square pots when plants are about a foot high. This is before they become truly potbound and the root ball is fragile at that time, but SWIM hasn't lost any to repotting yet. SWIM will experiment with sowing direct into 11L pots when he has the space and the seeds, but it most definitely is viable to repot provided you don't start in something so small the seed can't throw a decent taproot. Hope this is of some interest, look forward to hearing more about your grow. That plant is worth all the TLC you can throw at it... be warned that it may throw some THC back!
    haha good read.. everyone raves about the smoke I'm very eager to try it!

Thanks for stopping by mate, wish I had 4 girlies

Yeah I know what you mean about timescale, I hope mine doesn't take nearly 4 months, May was pretty cold and shitty weather wise, I think that really slowed my growth down too, and I've got a feeling my noob over-feeding has gone and impeded flowering too, whether this will mean less yeild or more time till harvest I don't know. I have a bad feeling it will probably result in a bit of both.

Yeah your porbably right about the repot when done carefully at the right time...

anyway good luck with your plants mate!

Thanks

quick update... just checked on the plant. Seems OK definitely no worse so I think the flushing has caught it just in time.

Thanks

Glad to hear it, am sending positive vibes @ your plant, let's hope for the best. :-) You've also just reminded SWIM that he'd do well to flush his before harvest.

In the interest of furthering knowledge of this strain, SWIM is going to experiment with the nutrient issue. One of his four girls is outside the greenhouse, pollinated and starting to set seed, albeit slowly. SWIM doesn't think that a bit of 2-2-4 Terra Flores is making any difference, and doesn't have much bud to lose now the plant is pollinated. so SWIM just hit it with two gallons of a 15-15-30 strawberry feed, on top of a dose of Flores 2 days ago. SWIM will report back :-)