Thread: correct carbon filter size

Thanks

Default correct carbon filter size

has anyone a rough guide to getting the correct carbon filter size for 'x' amount of plants?

ie i had 8 on last grow and 5 on this one with a total of 7-8month growing for the 2 grows. i have a 5" carbon filter from greens and im due to harvest within the next week and i can smell my green out side when the light is on (venting outtake air through floor boards so can smell them through ait brick in my back yard)

so would you say its safe to say a 5" cf will do 1 grow (3-4month) of 10 plants, and to change the carbon pellets or the whole filter every grow so the is no risk of gettingh sust?

so for example say you had 60 plants growing would you use 6x5" cf's or an equivilant ie 3x10" cf's?

my next grow will be in a loft and outtake through chimely so there will be less chance of smelling it at that hight, but still id rather vent out very little smell all the same

Thanks

edit:

so after growing a total of 13 plants over 8month, my cf filter needs changed.

also just wondering how a more expencive rino filter lasts longer that a budgets filter, carbon is carbon right? and its cheap to by as pleetets to fill the fileters up, or do you just pay for the name whan buying more expencive filters?

Thanks

your extraction depends upon the grow area and which and how many lights you have, you should use the same size carbon filter as your extractor fan

Below are two ways you can work out the size of extractor fans you will need in your grow room.

1. This method is based on the volume of the grow area and is perfectly suitable for small grow rooms.

First calculate the size of the room in cubic meters (m3): Length x Width x Height in meters = size of room in cubic meters.

Then multiply the total m3 by 25 to give you the air exchange needed in one hour.

Add 30% to this figure to allow for the inefficiency created by using carbon filters and lengths of ducting and the figure you will have is the air exchange rate needed in m3/hour for your grow area.

Because all extractors are sold with a m3/hour air exchange rate, it is a simple matter to select the correct size fan(s) you will need. For example, if you have calculated the air exchange rate needed is 450m3/hour then this could be achieved by using one exhaust fan rated to 450m3/hour or by using two fans, one for input and one for exhaust that together total this amount. If you use two fans (recommended) make sure that the exhaust fan is approximately 70% larger than the input fan.

2. This formula is used by commercial growers and is based on the number of lights used. This is recommended for medium to large sized grow rooms and guarantees the control of temperature regardless of the number of lights being used.

Extraction:

Take into account at least 200m3 of exhaust for each 400w lamp
    Take into account at least 300m3 of exhaust for each 600w lamp

Add approximately 30% more exhaust to this to allow for the inefficiency created by carbon filters and lengths of ducting.

Intake:

Intake should be approximately one third to one half of the volume of the exhaust. (If your extractor is 1000m3 per hour or less, use approximately one third of its volume for input. if your extractor is over 1000m3 per hour, use one half of its volume as input)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a13x For This Useful Post:

meteoros (07-04-13), The Lost Soul (27-06-10)

Thanks

ok so for example a 4x600w would need 1200m3 extraction with a 600 intake

so a 10" high power outtake (1150m3) and 6" low power intake (470m3) with passive intake aswell

you said the size of the cf depends on the fan but doesnt it depend on the number of plants?? say you had 40 plants on the go then 1x10" cf wont be enough for the smell will it????

or does it just depend on the temps? cos ive noticed i cant smell my plants outside the grow room when the light is off but i can when its on???

Thanks

actually thats wrong it would need 1560m3 ph extraction............ so either 2x8" (2x785m3) 0r 1x10" etaline (1750m3) with 6" intake (725m3)

(m3 figures took from greens website)

Thanks

i'm not sure about the cf for 'x' amount of plants
    any carbon filter should work, within reason, if it is matched to the fan

The more plants you have, the more particles will be in the air for the filter to collect
    the more particles for your filter to collect, the less time it will be effective for
    as each filter can only hold so much

Thanks

use the same size cf as the fan you need, the fan size is detemined upon the area of the growroom and the amount of watts of lights used needs to be taken into account also
    remember to add 30% to the figure because of the carbon filter reduces suction

Thanks

i agree, thats why im asking how you determine what size or how many cf filters for say 10 plants,

example:
    i can fit a 10"-12" ex fan to a 2.4mx2mx2m grow room with 80-100 plants in the fan will be fine for the grow room size but what if it starts to give off smell before the end of the grow cos the carbon is all used up from just 1 filter and so many plants??

Thanks

.....4 square metres of space and your planning on having upto 100 plants..............wtf?!
    thats like 25 plants per square metre......?? Someone back me up here?

OHHHHHH hold on, i've had to read it a few times lol your talking about matching
    grow room size to amount of plants? I think i get ya now

My reasoning would be, stick with the carbon filter for that particular size of room
    Because if you have more plants in the same size room, chances are, they are gonna be smaller?

But if your growing 100 plants, surely you can afford to buy 2 carbon filters just incase? lol joke

Thanks

you want 4 plants per sq meter per 600w hps
    you want 300m2/h of extraction for each 600w hps + 30% for the filter
    plant numbers have nothing to do with carbon filter size its all about how many watts of light you have or the size of your grow room