Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hydroponics Growing Systems

Thanks

I just finished my homemade bubble bucket a couple of days ago, spend around £20 on the system (main cost was the dual air pump @ £12.99) and less then an hour to build it =)
    Drilling 4 holes (1x for tap on bottom to release nutrients / 2x for air supply / 1x for level of nutrients (to avoid over filling) If needed I can post some pictures of the bubble bucket and the home made (DWC) cloner.

For the below information I cannot take any credit as I just copy and pasted this somewhere of the internet for research, while thinking of building such a cheap and cheerful system!

Deep Water Culture
    aka DWC aka The Bubbler

This is the simplest method of hydroponics and is used mainly by growers who only wish to cultivate a minimal number of plants. It is a true domestic incarnation of hydroculture. This technique is cheap and works well, however, is high maintenance and not very easy to manage.
    The system relies upon an air pump and an air stone to bubble air through the nutrient solution to mix it, but also in the beginning to generate spray, so as to get the clay pebble medium wet in order to establish the roots through the net pot. Consequently, the water has to be high enough to saturate the clay pebble medium by means of getting it wet or even moist via the actions of the bursting air bubbles. Once the plant has established a good root system, then it is advisable to lower the level of water in the bucket so that some of the roots can be allowed to hang in the air between the net pot and the water level. The majority of the roots live in the aerated deep water, 24 hours a day. With 24 hours a day in mind, as the roots are constantly submerged, it is crucial that the air pump is on 24 hours a day. If the pump is allowed to be off for any length of time, the roots will suffer from being waterlogged and starved of oxygen.
    You can only typically grow one plant per bucket. Any more and the roots that develop can engulf the air stone and if this happens, then again lack of aeration to the rootball will result in death. This system does not operate via a reservoir, as the plants live in the reservoir itself. As the bucket can only hold a very limited amount of water - 5 to 10 litres, and the plants are living in this small amount of water, the CF and pH of this water is in a state of constant flux and therefore in need of constant attention. Not only that, but larger plants can deplete 5 litres of water in a single day so you are also in constant danger of the system literally running out of water. To emphasise this a little better, as plants uptake water they do not necessarily uptake nutrients at the same rate and as this occurs, the plants might be drinking lots of water but not eating much food. The result is that in a matter of hours, as the water is depleted, the concentration of the nutrients in the bucket can reach toxic levels. So it is critical to always under feed your plants in this system.
    With this in mind, the pH will also fluctuate as the water is depleted but the nutrients are not. So, you are advised to keep a constant check on monitoring and maintaining this system. Maintenance of this system also presents a headache because in order to change the water and check the pH and CF, you have to physically remove the lid and the plant from the growing chamber. To lift the lid with a small plant in it is not so much a worry, but to be constantly lifting the lid with a large plant located in it will do damage to the plant and the rootball of the plant. Bear in mind that you will have to do this on at least a daily basis, so the practicality of this technique is very questionable. If you were to maintain several of these buckets in one grow room, then you could be looking at a full-time maintenance job – not really what hydroponics is about! Large plants that are grown in this system will also need extra support due to the fact that the plant is grown in a minimal amount of medium, which will not support heavy yielders.

Example of DWC System aka Bubbler

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bravo For This Useful Post:

Anonsti (21-11-13), BudUK (23-10-12), She's-a-Lady (15-11-14), TheImpatientGardener (04-11-19), whitewidman (14-08-10), Wrams (22-05-10)

Thanks

A better picture as above (please ignore the timer on the BB as the airpump runs 24/7 - lol)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravo For This Useful Post:

ButtyBach (13-02-14), Wrams (22-05-10)

Thanks

I know that this post is a couple of months old but what i would like to know is i am thinking about doing a nft system, but has anyone got any more info on it like whats the PH got to be for it and how often do you change the water, and also whats the best feeds to use on this system and lastly whats the EC got to be on it as well???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lewiboy View Post
    And there is my favorite.....

......the home made bubbler bucket.

Consists of a bucket with a lid - hole in the centre of lid to hold a net pot.

A net Pot

An Air stone

and a auqrium air pump.

Cheap and chearful with great results.

to unforgiving great to make shit as a system they went out of fassion quick time

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris1985 View Post
    I know that this post is a couple of months old but what i would like to know is i am thinking about doing a nft system, but has anyone got any more info on it like whats the PH got to be for it and how often do you change the water, and also whats the best feeds to use on this system and lastly whats the EC got to be on it as well???

ph 5.8 ec depends on plant size i start at 1.1-1.2 ec in the first week in any system except bubbler where i run a little lower then go up i point per week nute changes weekly but i go every 5 days or top up with ph adjusted water after 5 days change after 7 or 8

Thanks

Red face hydroponics

Quote Originally Posted by WS6WARHAWK View Post
    yeah i wanna go with the aeroponics system and use regulators and back up regulators for everything/ my specialty is fabrication and plumbing. I want some more detailed ideas of some systems, specificly and 8 plant veg and 8 plant flower system for both rooms. running 1000w hortilux, mylar, c02 reg in both rooms, also any strains you can sugest that will flower quickly but still be coated properly,.thanks! great post!
    go 4 a wilma 8 and have a look at growing afgan kush or LSD from barneys farm seeds it stays short and flowers in 8 wks and there feminized.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hull-uk View Post
    to unforgiving great to make shit as a system they went out of fassion quick time
    gone out of fashion? Have you seen sharks waterfarm grow?

DWC (aka bubbler) systems do seem to be a lot of work, though if you wanted to you could set one up like a flood and drain with a big reservoir, and just drain and adjust the ph/nutes from there. You could even have a float valve set to keep the grow res topped off. It seems to me though all hydro setups benefit from a lot of attention.

Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times

anyone know what ppm levels to ues in the bubblers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    A better picture as above (please ignore the timer on the BB as the airpump runs 24/7 - lol)

I know this old article, but made a little simple. You need 1 5gal bucket and 1 2 1/2gal bucket, you drill drain holes, also holes for pump line and pump power cord. Insert 2 1/2 bucket into 5gal bucket mark on outside of 5gal bucket where 2 1/2gal bucket ends. You get small pond pump at home depot run cord and pump feed up thru 2 1/2gal bucket. Drill a hole thru lid for feed from pump, on top side of bucket carve a grove for power cord. Sorry jumped a step cut desired hole in cover for size pot you would like, then set up drip line from feed and your set.To replace nuitrients just lift the 2 1/2gal bucket and pump and roots lift up with out any problems, also out of window screen cut out a circle the size of bucket bottom they will hold up most of roots. I hope I explained it correctly ( like Ricky Ricardo would say to Lucy you got some splaining to do. LOL) Hope this helps

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,051 Times

Quote Originally Posted by medicatedman View Post
    ( like Ricky Ricardo would say to Lucy you got some splaining to do. LOL)
    lolz.... wtf is this???

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azerbanphal For This Useful Post:

TheImpatientGardener (04-11-19)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast