Thread: Hunger strike woman from Peterborough wins NHS battle

Thanks

Default Hunger strike woman from Peterborough wins NHS battle

BBC News

Wednesday 07 Jul 2010

A woman from Peterborough who went on hunger strike to get better medical help, including a cannabis-based drug, for her husband has won her battle.

Angela Cavill-Burch has cared full-time for her tetraplegic husband Terence ever since he got an infection three years ago.

She said he needed the drug called Sanitex, normally only licenced for MS sufferers, to ease his chronic pain.

The drug is now being provided. Mrs Cavill-Burch's protest lasted six days.

She had called on NHS Peterborough Community Services (NHS PCS) for more support over a nine-month period.

The case was featured on BBC Look East on Monday and now NHS PCS has agreed to provide the drug Sanitex and reinstate physiotherapy as the medication works in conjunction with it.

Emergency night carers are also being provided for Mr Burch as an interim measure while full day and night time carers can be found.

Mrs Cavill-Burch said she was angry at how long the NHS PCS had taken to respond to her concerns.

"I should not have had to resort to such a drastic action to get people to listen to me," she told BBC Look East.

In a statement NHS PCS said: "A current review is now taking place to reassess these (the couple's) needs and to ensure that appropriate and effective care is in place in agreement with Mr Burch and Mrs Cavill-Burch."

Two meetings have already been set up for Mrs Cavill-Burch to meet with care agencies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...e/10547319.stm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Hunter For This Useful Post:

New Age Outlaw (09-07-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hunter View Post
    BBC News

Wednesday 07 Jul 2010

A woman from Peterborough who went on hunger strike to get better medical help, including a cannabis-based drug, for her husband has won her battle.

Angela Cavill-Burch has cared full-time for her tetraplegic husband Terence ever since he got an infection three years ago.

She said he needed the drug called Sanitex, normally only licenced for MS sufferers, to ease his chronic pain.

The drug is now being provided. Mrs Cavill-Burch's protest lasted six days.

She had called on NHS Peterborough Community Services (NHS PCS) for more support over a nine-month period.

The case was featured on BBC Look East on Monday and now NHS PCS has agreed to provide the drug Sanitex and reinstate physiotherapy as the medication works in conjunction with it.

Emergency night carers are also being provided for Mr Burch as an interim measure while full day and night time carers can be found.

Mrs Cavill-Burch said she was angry at how long the NHS PCS had taken to respond to her concerns.

"I should not have had to resort to such a drastic action to get people to listen to me," she told BBC Look East.

In a statement NHS PCS said: "A current review is now taking place to reassess these (the couple's) needs and to ensure that appropriate and effective care is in place in agreement with Mr Burch and Mrs Cavill-Burch."

Two meetings have already been set up for Mrs Cavill-Burch to meet with care agencies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...e/10547319.stm
    Isn't Sanitex a female hygiene product? ......I'd possibly spray sativex under my tongue though. Meh i'm glad for these people they got the help and medication they wanted but if you see the making of Sativex it's fucking crazy..mashed up stalks, fan leaves every single part of the plant and syphoned into a small spray jar...not much else go's on here, you could make a much better more potent drug at home straining pure buds I reckon.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,776 Times

My GF wouldn't do this for me! Go without a meal? You must be joking.

"Can I have legal ganja please my love?"

"NO! I'm eating me malteaser bucket, bugger off and die on your painkillers you wankpiece"

True story, all names and dates have been changed to protect the innocent. Any resemblance to those living or dead is purely coincidental