Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Root bound hydro???

Thanks

Default Root bound hydro???

Ok so i aint been around much but im still doing lil grows,just about to pull a GHS GWS.Now i pulled my first ever bubbler/hydro plant aa month ago and noticed the roots were stubby as if reached the boottom of container thus rtoot bound although still room for growth it felt the plant wanted to grow down more and it felt like it had stunted as a result.Now this GWS im about to pull had 1 months veg,is under 400w hps in hydro 3 part nutrients etc and again it feels like,compared to diaries ive seen,that again its stunted yet ve been aware of the container this time.Its just ive seen the size of some of the beasts on here that only had same veg period etc? The leaves arnt as big either,i know im still relatively new so time i suppose.
    I was wondering though,i use small net pots and only the basic 1.5x1.5" rockwools,i never advance up.I just germinate in those rockwool then place in pot,i always assumed that as long as the roots have plenty of room to grow into that it didnt really matter how big an area ABOVE water they filled,no?.
    Also i remember an old Shark Diary a year or so ago and at the end he had a picture of the root mass which had grown to fill its container that much it had the same size/shape,ie zero room yet this thing ws HUGE and excellent health,well you all know Shark so i dont need to say anymore.
    Any help appreciated.
    It aint rocket science

Thanks

Anyone still here giving advice?
    Of course i realise theres far more crucial threads needing help such as "Anyone know how to play downloaded films from the net on a dvd player via usb?" but if someone would lower themselves to talk about Cannabis for a sec id really appreciate it.
    Really not being funny guys just need a lil advice.
    It used to be here in abundance.
    (DD awaits the hate....(but hey any reply will do!))

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,124 Times

Welcome back you moody git Good to see you about!

Got a picture of your system? Your rootball? Plant? Or dimensions of the res? Roots aren't ever really meant to hit anything solid, and the large taproots will often go stubby and hard as they reach a solid surface, then put out lots of little hairs looking for ways around it -or use the hardened tip to break through it In Hydro however, they generally just grow outwards of their own accord as there's nutes everywhere.

Pics would let people have a good judge of the situation, and I bet if you had some this thread would be 3pages long by now

Thanks

Thanks Egg,you know me dont do diaries etc but ill upload some shots.I think its just the GWS,it seeems to give off alot of root compared to my Sat dom "Cheese" (not clone hence quotations!) which is very thin and stringy and half the mass at twice the size.Is this strain genetics based Egg or is it that Indicas are thick and sats thinner roots?
    Ill make a real effort to stick around and i am still at it and it was not possible without this site.
    I have another question.Cola or trich development of it moreso.
    I realise that develop happens from bottom up,that lower buds develop quicker and its plain to see on my GWS and the Main Cola is not nearly as crystalled.I know im not to judge the end by this and i have a 30x for pulling but i am concious of the fact that its gonna be overdue in about 12 days and the bottom buds are more potent in every way (visually) so im sure it does make a big difference.
    Can i expect the Cola to get as frosty.It has become a bit of a study/obsession (lol!) but i do see an increase daily reachiung higher up the plant.Is 12 days enough?
    Thanks for reply Egg,have the coppers been knockin lately? seasonal thing aint it Egg!?
    I hope not dude,really hope not.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,124 Times

As far as I've observed, yes Indicas and stubbier plants tend to have a lot thicker roots. I've got a friend who has a very nice unnamed sativa clone he uses constantly, and was talking to me about how he always hears roots ripping when he repots(even though it's only tiny roots) but noted that another plant he repotted recently didn't have any, not even slight ripping sounds. We came to the conclusion that indicas have thicker roots, but less of 'em and don't branch out as more or into as little tiny hairs like sativas.

I have two spider plants that are similar actually. Slightly different appearances, one has really thick roots and keeps busting it's pots, and the other one just seems to fill the soil with tiny roots more and compact it all. It's odd how one type of plant can be so different from it's relatives.

As for frostyness - 12 days is enough to put on a fairly surprising amount of thrics, but how old is your plant? You say it's coming down soon but how long did you veg/flower it for up until now? The biggiest, stubbiest roots will most likely be coming straight from the base of the stem, and I'd like to think they're the ones that are feeding the cola. It could be that if that's been damaged somehow then the parts of the plant it feeds might have been damaged, or delayed also!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggbox For This Useful Post:

ddsdavey (27-07-10)

Thanks

Im liking that logic Egg,never thought of it like that.I wouldnt say its damaged as such as ive managed to negotiate it.
    Sorry for my vague attitude dude,its a GHS GWS so its a 8 weeker,i vegged for a month,trichs are getting there,hairs been orange now for weeks.
    I did start a flush but ive gone back to feed as im scared of ripping it up too early.
    My cupboard grow is merely for education.Its nice that i can think ONE DAY ill be yielding nice bud but being realistic,with the habit i have got its not even slightly possible to be self sufficient with a cupboard lol!
    But the knowledge in just raising 1 plant correctly can be put into effect when more space becomes available,and it WILL!

Thanks

Just got me thinking about the whole tap root connecting to the main colas development you mentioned earlier Egg.I know its probably a no but does that mean (in theory!) that if we could map the roots so-to-speak that in actual fact we could train a plant by "pruning" the roots!?
    Nah,stupid me babbling on again lol,just ignore me!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ddsdavey View Post
    Just got me thinking about the whole tap root connecting to the main colas development you mentioned earlier Egg.I know its probably a no but does that mean (in theory!) that if we could map the roots so-to-speak that in actual fact we could train a plant by "pruning" the roots!?
    Nah,stupid me babbling on again lol,just ignore me!
    root pruning is a technique used for bonsai.
    if you're retired or you ain't got a job and you ain't growing and smoking weed ,i don't know what the fuck you are doing!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

ddsdavey (27-07-10)

Thanks

Ok one miore thing save starting a new thread.
    I have not tried changing up cubes/pots yet.All i use are basic 1.5" starters in starter net pots surrounded by clay pebbloes.My assumption has always been that it wont limit growth as the roots will just out grow the cube and,wel end up rooting all through the pot.Does that make sense lol!
    Lately ive got the impression that something is stunting,thats why i have this thread as i originaly though ir was the containers being to smallbut im starting to wonder if the growth would be limited if not changing up cube sizes etc.
    Is that the only way to get larger plants.
    I just had the assumption that as long as its allowed to root etc that the rockwool has then done its job and that the remainding trunk can now sit happily just in the clay pebbles having split out of the starter cube in the centre,does that make sense?
    Or is it essential to "cube up" (sorry!) in order to strive for big,constantly developing plants.
    Is it the equivalent to potting up?
    Thanks for the comment Wert,im sure theres more we can accomplish by "training" roots,im a noob but i always thought that hydro was so appealing as it allowed you access to the actuual brain/heart of the plant,the roots.Rather than in soil where you are forced to interpret the leaves,stem etc. Now im sure these things give more signs than rootss i just get the impression that alot more study could be done on root management and general health.

Thanks

Oh and why do we drop Rockwool ph to 5.5 momentarily to then just give ph 7 with seedlings?
    I do it and its prevented alot of deaths that i was getting prior so its cool i just wondered why? Some suggest just soaking in Ph7 to adjust the wool but having done both i see alot more positives in the 5.5 adjustment but why.
    I imagine Werts got his one covered,an ode to the past maybe?
    Or is there an old folk song you could sing thsat explains the whole thing!
    (sorry,morning bake etc,etc.).
    The whiole Bonsai root thingy is interesting,do you do that too Wert? Looks bloody skillful....i have seen Karate Kid so i can speak on Bonsais with authority lol!
    Ah 10.37,dentist looming...
    Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast