Thread: Leaves yellowing at 3 weeks old

Thanks

Default Leaves yellowing at 3 weeks old

My babies seem to be doing bad. 2 weeks ago they were fine, now they're turning yellow. I don't have any pics, but I can just describe it to you, there is a general yellowing of the leaves (nothing special, spotted, or localized, the whole leaf is yellow.) All the plants are yellowing a bit, some more than others.

I figured the problem might be underwatering, as i've been taking it easy on the water. To avoid overwatering i've been adding water very slowly, in small amounts, about 3x a day with a liberal dose from a spray bottle.

They were never watered to the point where it'd be seeping out the holes in the bottom of the pot, so I felt maybe that was indicative of a problem. I thought it might also be that they need nutes, as I know the plants weren't given the best soil on the market (4 parts scotts top soil and 1 part worm castings). I'm waiting for nutes to arrive in the mail, so in the mean time I mixed a little worm castings with water, mixed it up real well, then fed enough to each plant to saturate their soil.

Today the plants are still a little yellow, I can't tell if theres any improvement yet.

I can also tell you one other thing. The PH of the soil is off, according to my PH tester. It's somewhere between 7 and 7.2. I don't have the means to correct it right now (solution coming in the mail), so maybe that is the source of all my problems, or could it just be exacerbating them?

Thanks

Diaper Guest

Tell me, what size pots they are in and how long they've been in said pots?
    Sounds like they're root bound and need moving into larger ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diaper View Post
    Tell me, what size pots they are in and how long they've been in said pots?
    Sounds like they're root bound and need moving into larger ones.
    Hrm, not really sure what size pots they're in :/

I just checked on them, and they seem to be greening up a bit, but one of them just got overwatered, its leaves are curling up at the tip, but that's ok. I think she'll be fine in a day or two, and i'll just take it easy on the watering. I have 3gal bags coming in the mail soon, so i'll be transplanting then

I need some advice though, on what I should do about soil.
    So far they're chilling in Scotts Topsoul with worm castings, and the PH is slightly above 7. I want to get them into some good soil this time, but I don't have a lot of choices where I live. What should I do?

Btw, thanks for you help. Sorry I can't get pictures up. I'll try to finagle a camera and i'll start a grow journal soon

Diaper Guest

Well, can you estimate the diameter of the pots?
    See, if they're still in the original pots, after 3-4 weeks any nutes in the soil will be depleted, and that's a good soil not top soil!
    Try to get a good multi purpose compost, peat free if possible. Mix in up to 20% perlite, and some more worm castings and you'll be good to go.
    Of course they will eventualy need supplementary feeding, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it

Thanks

Are the round embryo leaves yellowing? If so the plant has just used its internal reserves and is hungry.

The soil you have them in doesn't sound too bad for seedings do you know if its pre-ferted and if so how much?

Wormcastings are an excellent source of N and a ph of 7 isn't that bad, get some dolomite lime to add to your soil mix when you pot up, this will keep the ph in check and supply magnesium(something weed likes a lot of)

if you can't get hold of decent soil then your best bet is to mix your own up.