Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leaf Curl - Mg suspected, but confused

Thanks

Default Leaf Curl - Mg suspected, but confused

What STRAIN are you growing? DNA's LA Confidential
    What was the establishing technique? from seed
    What is the age of your plants? day 48 (from showing of seedling)
    What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Veg (24/0)
    What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) - Fimming/pinching
    What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) - 1 per pot, ~6L per pot
    What substrate/medium are you using? Plagron All-Mix
    What Nutrient's are you using? Biobizz Grow, not used yet though
    What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? no idea
    What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? no idea
    When was your last water? Mon, April 7; was transplanted Friday 4th
    When was your last feeding? none yet
    What size bulb are you using? 400W Grolux
    What is the distance to the canopy? ~20in
    What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) 35% lows, 50% highs (humidifier drops when exhaust runs)
    What is the canopy temperature? ~26 C
    What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 24/0, little fluctation, but as hot as 28C, cool as 23C
    Is the fan blowing directly at plants? nope
    Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? nope
    Is your water HARD or SOFT? the building manager told me there was reverse osmosis
    Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? pinched 2wks ago
    Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? nope
    Are plant's infected with pest's? nope

So I let the plants sit in too small pots for way too long. This particular LA was in a ~3L pot for about 40days and started to show signs of nutrient deficiency. I transplanted the babies into bigger pots on Friday and every other plant has picked up quite a bit, except for this one which is still curling. Suspecting Mg deficiency in all my plants (on Friday, everyone had yellowing and slight curl), I foliar fed ~1tsp Epsom/7L water (really weak - I just transplanted and know there's sufficient nuts for at least a week in the extra soil, I didn't want to overdo it). This one just won't stop curling...at the top the most.

I'll attach some pictures once Imageshack decides to behave...
    "Certain
    Kinds of people that we like to know, yeah
    And others gotta go
    If you wait 'till you're ready, then you'll never make an amends"

Thanks

Thanks in advance for the advice and whatnot, any comments or suggestions are really, really appreciated.

Thanks

I get leaves like this so will be interested in any advice too, could it be something to do with temps?

Diaper Guest

I don't see any Mg probs

Temps are good

I'd say continue to water as normal

Soil a little hot for that particular strain?
    I'd be inclined to carry on to water as normal, and see if she improves over the following week.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,125 Times

i did have a few curling leaves on my stinkies, but my light was just a little to close, not close enough to burn, but to cause curling, when i moved the light up half inch they were fine, i dunno if this may be your problem, but they look healthy enough apart from that, so do like diaps says

Thanks

is this any help?
    Magnesium is one of the easiest deficiencies to tell… the green veins along with the yellowness of the entire surrounding leave is a dead giveaway, but sometimes that’s not always the case here. In case you have one of those where it doesn’t show the green veins, sometimes leaf tips and edges may discolor and curl upward. The growing tips can turn lime green when the deficiency progresses to the top of the plant. The edges will feel like dry and crispy and usually affects the lower leaves in younger plants, then will affect the middle to upper half when it gets older, but It can also happen on older leaves as well. The deficiency will start at the tip then will take over the entire outer left and right sides of the leaves. The inner part will be yellow and or brownish in color, followed by leaves falling without withering. The tips can also twist and turn as well as curving upwards as if you curl your tongues.

Solution to fixing a Magnesium deficiency
    Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Magnesium in them will fix a Magnesium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
    Other nutrients that have magnesium in them are: Epsom salts, which is fast absorption. Dolomite lime and or garden lime (same thing just called different) which is slow absorption. Sulfate of Potash, Magnesia which is medium absorption. Worm Castings, which is slow absorption. Crabshell which is slow absorption. Earth Juice Mircoblast, which is fast acting. (a must buy!! Has lots of 2ndary nutrients).
    Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics,( which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) You need to Flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

The pic shows a mid grade magnesium def
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1134Magnesium-1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	687  

Thanks

It could be low humidity, plants will sometimes curl their leaf edges to slow transpiration.

Whatever it is the plants are nice and green and so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by organix View Post
    It could be low humidity, plants will sometimes curl their leaf edges to slow transpiration.

Whatever it is the plants are nice and green and so I wouldn't worry too much.
    I think it might be the humidity - I just added the humidifier on Friday, before it was like 35% (despite the 2 15L buckets of water sitting in there). None of the other plants did and they're in a Homebox with a fan so the only thing against humidity I can think of is that all the other plants (including one of the same strain) don't have these symptoms. Who knows, gonna wait and see if it gets better, should start showing sex soon I hope...

Thanks for the help, I was starting to worry about losing a plant,,.,

Thanks

That is heat prob's mate, have a little desk fan blowing over the plant tops and just below your light and that will stop and it will also help spread humidity around better to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkdj2003 View Post
    That is heat prob's mate, have a little desk fan blowing over the plant tops and just below your light and that will stop and it will also help spread humidity around better to.
    I've got the fan in order, you just can't see it in the pictures. Finding a clip-on fan is hell, so I got a little desk one. It's not terribly hot in there - my exhaust is a ridiculous 430 m3/h.

After I left for the weekend, the humidifier, of course, ran out of water, and the humidity dropped to it's normal 20% (I guess I won't have to worry about bud rot...) and the leaves of other plants started to do the exact same thing. So I think it's the humidity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast