Thread: First harvest

Thanks

Question First harvest

Hi folks, I am just about to harvest my first plants and have a couple of questions. Firstly, do you clip off the small leaves around the bud as well as the bigger fan leaves? Secondly can I use the withered up fan leaves to fill out the smoke as opposed to mixing with tobacco?

Thanks

Thanks

Default Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Hi folks, I am just about to harvest my first plants and have a couple of questions. Firstly, do you clip off the small leaves around the bud as well as the bigger fan leaves? Secondly can I use the withered up fan leaves to fill out the smoke as opposed to mixing with tobacco?

Thanks
    Hey m8, some answers from my perspective, I personally like to leave the small leaves round the buds to dry along with the buds themselves, I then gently break them off into a seperate bag/tub whilst manicuring the buds prior to cure, this is then good for making butter or a hash should you want to do so. I tend to just remove the fan leaves prior to hanging the plant/buds. If you are not keeping the trim (yea right... lol) then it might be good to just trim it off with the fan leaves and do whatever with it, or even take off the small leaves and dry seperately (although I see hassle with this).

I dont see why you cant use fan leaves to pack out instead of tobacco, aslong as theyre dried properly, I believe there is a process to use them to make pure canna cigars online somewhere, I remember reading it a long time ago.

enjoy...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeathKnight For This Useful Post:

Ariadne (27-08-10), overtime (28-08-10), relto (28-08-10)

Thanks

Thanks a lot DeathKnight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post

Thanks
    I just remove the fan leaves and other leaves with no trichomes on them and leave the small leafes (with trichomes) on the bud and as it dries the small leaves will shrivel up and be part of your buds. The small leaves are very strong when laden with trichomes (just like the buds).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LUDACRIS For This Useful Post:

marcus (06-12-10)

Thanks

INHERENT VARIATIONS IN POTENCY

The potency of a particular marijuana sample will vary because of many factors other then the variety. Many of these have to do with the natural development of the plants and their resin glands. Environmental factors do affect potency but there are large differences in any variety. These inherent factors must be explained before we can talk of factors outside the plant that affect relative potency.

Variations in Potency Within Varieties

There are noticeable differences in THC concentrations between plants of the same variety. Differences are large enough so that you can tall (by smoking) that certain plants are better. This is no news to homegrowers, who often find a particular plant to be outstanding. Five-fold differences in THC concentration have also shown up in research. However, when you consider a whole group of plants of the same variety, they're relatively similar in cannabinoid concentrations. Type II plants are the most variable, with individual plants much higher than other in certain canninbinoids.

Variations by Plant Part

The concentration of cannabinoids depends on the plant part, or more specifically, the concentration and development of resin glands to plant part. The female flower bracts have the highest concentration of resin glands and are usually the most potent plant parts. Seeds and roots have no resin glands. These shoe no more than traces of canninbinoids. Smoke seeds will give you a headache before you can get high. If you got high on seeds, then there were probably enough bracts adhering to the seeds to get you high.

Here are the potencies, in descending order, of the various plant parts:

1. Female flowering clusters. In practice you don't separate hundreds
    of tiny bracts to make a joint. The whole flowering mass (seeds removed),
    along with small accompanying leaves, forms the material.
    2. Male flower clusters. These vary more in relative potency depending on
    the strain (see "Potency by Sex," below).
    3. Growing shoots. Before the plants flower, the vegetative shoots (tips)
    of the main stem and branches are the most potent plant parts.
    4. Leaves (a) that accompany flowers (small);
    (b) along branches (medium);
    (c) along main stem (large).
    Generally, the smaller the leaf is, the more potent it can be.
    5. Petioles (leaf stalks). Same order as leaves.
    6. Stems. Same order as leaves. The smaller the stem (twig), the
    higher the possible concentration of cannabinoids. Stems over 1/16"
    in diameter contain only traces of cannabinoids and are not worth
    smoking. The small stems that bear the flowers can be quite potent.
    7. Seeds and Roots. Contain only traces (less then .01 percent) and
    are not worth smoking or extracting.

This order is fairly consistent. The exceptions can be the small leaves that accompany male flowers, which are sometimes more potent than the flowers themselves. The growing shoots are sometimes more potent than the mature female flowers.

Samples of pollen show varying amounts of cannabinoids. Resin glands are found inside the anthers, alongside the developing pollen grains, and form two rows on opposite sides of each anther. Pollen grains are smaller than the heads of large resin glands and range from 21 to 69 micrometres in diameter21. A small amount of resin contaminates the pollen when glands rupture, but most of the THC in pollen samples comes from gland heads that fall with pollen when the flowers are shaken to collect it. One study, using pollen for the sample, found concentrations of up to 0.96 percent THC, more then enough to get you high79.

Potency by Position on Plant

The potency of marijuana on any plant increases toward the top of the plant, the topmost bud being the most potent. The bottommost leaves on the main stem are the least potent of the useable material. Along branches there is a less steep THC gradient increasing to the growing tip.

The ratios in Table 11 are representative of high-quality marijuana varieties. Plant no. 2 is an exception, with four percent THC in its lower leaves, a figure comparable to high-quality Colombian and Mexican buds in commercial grass.

Table 11 - Relationship of THC Content to Leaf Position.

Percentage of THC by weight of Leaf from Position on plant
    Plant No. 1 (SP-5) NO.2 (SP-5) NO.3 (UNC-335)
    Top 6.1 6.9 4.8
    Middle 3 5.5 3.1
    Bottom 0.8 4 1.5
    Ratio (gradient) 8:4:1 1.7:1.4:1 3:2:1
    Notice the large difference in the gradients of Plants no. 1 and 2, which are from the same variety (SP-5). Like almost all characteristics of these plants, considerable variation occurs even among sibling. Our experience is that generally the better the quality of the variety, the steeper the gradient: in other words, the bigger the difference between top and bottom leaves. For example, the plants given here are high-quality type I varieties. Plant no. 1 is more typical, with its steep gradient, than no.2, where the gradient is much less pronounced. Lower-quality varieties generally do not have as steep a gradient and the ratios would look more like that of Plant no. 2.

LUDACRIS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LUDACRIS For This Useful Post:

marcus (06-12-10)