Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DIY Air Cooled Reflector

Thanks

Just cut the holes out of the aluminium reflective stuff and put the wall spigots over it and I'm pretty chuffed (still need to rivet it together). I've thrown in a pic of how the bulb will sit so you have an idea of size. It's a 250W Son-T bulb. Honestly though, I don't do anything like this for a living and it has been pretty easy to throw together, so if you're lacking the space in a stealth grow room for an off the shelf air cooled hood then your not out of options! I've still got the glass to get and still got to think up a way to completely seal it with removable glass (any suggestions about this would be greatly appreciated)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EasyRyding For This Useful Post:

up2nogood (28-08-10)

Thanks

Fucking fantastic its looks superb matey well done. Think some type of rubber seal/gasket would do the job as you need access to change the bulb and cant really go down the silicone route to seal it. I had two coolstar refectors and had to do this and although it made them air tight its not really user friendly lol.

nuube Guest

I love/hate these threads on one hand it is some fantastic work, on the other why can't I do something as talented as that!!

Thanks

I keep thinking rubber seals like on car doors/boots etc but I have to think worst case scinario which is it heating up to the point of melting (not very nice fumes and horrible to clear up, I don't think there would be a fire risk with it but I can't be sure without looking into it. Do you reckon if you put a bead of silicone across the glass and another across the hood (don't stick them together), wait for them to dry, and push them together would create an ok seal? If I think right when silicone dries it's still kinda squishy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRyding View Post
    I keep thinking rubber seals like on car doors/boots etc but I have to think worst case scinario which is it heating up to the point of melting (not very nice fumes and horrible to clear up, I don't think there would be a fire risk with it but I can't be sure without looking into it. Do you reckon if you put a bead of silicone across the glass and another across the hood (don't stick them together), wait for them to dry, and push them together would create an ok seal? If I think right when silicone dries it's still kinda squishy
    I rekon this could work well as you can get heat resistant silicone. The rubber seals i think would work as well, if you think car engines theres rubber gaskets in there and engines get hot. As your light is air cooled this will cut down on the heat as well, what watt you using. Just to add most decent air cooled lights use a rubber seal so i think you will be ok

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spartan For This Useful Post:

EasyRyding (29-08-10)

Thanks

Well I love my cars and I should have a fair few seals lying around so I'll do a couple of tests - Firstly fire - Do drips stay on fire when they drop? and then heat - If they can survive half hour in the oven then they'll be fine. In fact, you sir, have just given me an idea - Instant gasket! I'm sure there is a type for water seals that stay kinda squishy.
    Granted it is air cooled but the fan could fail when I'm not in the house so I have to think about it. I'm suprised how few grow diaries there are where people haven't mentioned smoke detectors!
    It's a 250 Watt
    Last edited by EasyRyding; 28-08-10 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRyding View Post
    Well I love my cars and I should have a fair few seals lying around so I'll do a couple of tests - Firstly fire - Do drips stay on fire when they drop? and then heat - If they can survive half hour in the oven then they'll be fine. In fact, you sir, have just given me an idea - Instant gasket! I'm sure there is a type for water seals that stay kinda squishy.
    Granted it is air cooled but the fan could fail when I'm not in the house so I have to think about it. I'm suprised how few grow diaries there are where people haven't mentioned smoke detectors!
    It's a 250 Watt
    Love me motors too, the older the better and my 45 year old motor is in bits and fuck knows how it all goes back together lol its a on going project a very on going one. The oven test is a good idea mate and yeah your right smoke alarms are a must i wouldnt dream of doing a grow without one.

Thanks

you could try using a tube of instant gasket for sealing it up as it is heat resisitant . being a petrol head myself i can tell you it won't burn having used it to seal rocker covers just inches away from a massive turbo which runs at several hundred degrees when we've been kicking the shit out of it. i have been considering making one of these myself for ages and you've just pushed me over the edge lol . i've got a large sheet of 2mm alloy and am looking to make one with a vertically mounted bulb . i will not be using glass as yours does though as i am only running a 150w hps and it will be overkill .
    Last edited by GFORCE; 29-08-10 at 08:29 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GFORCE For This Useful Post:

EasyRyding (29-08-10)

Thanks

Thanks for confirming the instant gasket idea. I did think alot of my water pipes on my engine are literally on the head which gets a bit toasty so it should be heat resistant. I'll get on that as soon as I can.

More petrol heads than I thought on here! What turbo you talkin about ? I loved my GT2871r. My god that had a donkey punch on it :-p

If you're making something like this I'd love to see it when it's done :-D
    Last edited by EasyRyding; 29-08-10 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks

what did you have that fitted to man lol , i fitted fitted a gt30/40r to my mates 650bhp scooby and by fuck that thing went like shit off a shovel . was a complete nitemare to fit a i had to fabricate a complete new up-pipe and down pipe so it could be angled at 45 odd degrees to fit between the engine and bulkhead not to mention the extra piping to fit the 40mm tial wastgate down there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast