Thread: D.i.y aero

Thanks

Default D.i.y aero

Hi guys i'm about to try and make my own aeroponic system as the one's for sale are so expensive. I will be using 6in water pipe. I will be using 24 micro 360's but i am not to sure which size of pump to go for' would 1200lph be enough thanks for any replie's in advance

Thanks

the maxijet 1000 from greens would do 24 sprinklers i think its 30pound

Thanks

cheers dude

Thanks

Not a chance a maxijet is good enough, i know Ive built these systems before Ive even used 5000lph pumps and to be honest it still didn't cut the mustard in the system i was building. What your building is a sprinkler system, true aeroponics can only be achieved with high pressure systems ie compressors or a seriously big pump, which is why they cost what they do. low pressure aeroponics isn't aeroponics in my book, yeah sure stacks of people call them aero systems (don't know why) but they do not atomiz the nutes to create the 5-50 microns which is what aero is all about. Ive been down the 6" PVC pipe route myself and its all trial and error, i would need more info on your system before i could offer any serious advice, like the length of your PVC pipes and how you plan to deliver your spray/mist are they all running of 13mm or are you stepping down to 6mm pipe? plus how long are the delivery runs?. I would also consider using a ultrasonic fogger as this is about the best low pressure aero system you can build but its not enough on its own so use it in conjunction with sprayers. Low pressure aero will give decent enough results but its not even close to true aeroponics so to get there get a powerful pump, the biggest Ive got is a 10.000lph pump but this thing is loud so if noise is a problem this is something to consider. I like the PVC pipe systems but only as an NFT type hybrid if you want to get close to aeroponics i would use something like a big tub with a lid that ain't gonna leak as this cuts down on the delivery tubes needed to run the sprayers therefor a less powerful pump is needed and it doesn't turn into a NFT system which is effectively what yours will turn into. If you can stick a pic up or PM me and i will point you in the right direction as i have pulled my hair out building these systems. I still have the system i built in the loft although its in bits i can get it out a take a pic it will give you a general idea and might help you out, my next project is a 10 site fogponic system which i believe will get me closer to what true aero is all about.
    Last edited by spartan; 31-08-10 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks

Thumbs up aero

Hi spartan I have decided to go with 4x 2m legnths of 6 in pvc pipe and i was going to use 13mm to feed sprinklers off. I will probablly have one large res. Noise will be a bit of a problenm depending on how loud as it will be in a spare room.Is it worth going to all the hassle off sprinklers or do you think you would get just as good results with a straight nft system. I wanted to go the aero route as I'll be starting with clones that have been in an aero propogator. oh and i 'm ony going for 16 sites would a maxijet give 5 sprinklers enough pressure if i had a seperate res for every 2m run of pipe. cheers jay
    Last edited by jay198; 02-09-10 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jay198 View Post
    Hi spartan I have decided to go with 4x 2m legnths of 6 in pvc pipe and i was going to use 13mm to feed sprinklers off. I will probablly have one large res. Noise will be a bit of a problenm depending on how loud as it will be in a spare room.Is it worth going to all the hassle off sprinklers or do you think you would get just as good results with a straight nft system. I wanted to go the aero route as I'll be starting with clones that have been in an aero propogator. oh and i 'm ony going for 16 sites would a maxijet give 5 sprinklers enough pressure if i had a seperate res for every 2m run of pipe. cheers jay
    4x2m lengths is exactly what i built, think i had 6 sites per length. The PVC pipe system will always be an NFT systems first as the spray cant go far and the roots always lay in the pipes and don't hang. IMO NFT will give you as good a result as any system out there baring true aeroponics as NFT allows maximum uptake of O2 by the roots. You can still start in the aero cloner then transplant into your PVC pipe system and run it as NFT, this is what i would do first and give it a trial run and see how you get on you can then add the sprayers later if you wanted to. Having a separate res for each run would be a pain in the arse mate and i wouldn't recommend it unless you have plenty of time on your hands lol. You are still going to need a pump whatever you choose so i would say get yourself the MJ1000 and this will run your system fine for NFT you can then play about with sprayers and see what works best, this way you haven't wasted any money except for a couple of quid on sprayer heads, from my experience though over a 2M run a maxi jet isn't good enough as every sprayer you add drops the pressure. Another way of using PVC pipe systems is to use it as a SWC system. Block both ends of the PVC pipe and run like you would NFT but allow the pipes to fill a little higher with nutes (around an Inch) where the end cap at the drain off end is located is where you would drill your drain hole to the height you want your nute level to be, this creates a trough like system and at each plant site you put an air stone, this gives even more O2 to the nutes and roots, its very effective but requires a decent air pump. Any DIY hydro creates headaches for the builder lol so be prepared for that mate, run as NFT first then have a play about and see what works best.