Thread: Death of the Coney Island Elephant!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,797 Times

Default Death of the Coney Island Elephant!

Was on YT and noticed this bizarre video!
    Now after watching it I was pretty "shocked" so I looked it up on wiki and this is what I learned!
    Topsy (born circa 1875, died January 4, 1903), was a domesticated elephant with the Forepaugh Circus at Coney Island's Luna Park. Because she had killed three men in as many years (including a severely abusive trainer who attempted to feed her a lit cigarette),[1] Topsy was deemed a threat to people by her owners and killed by electrocution on January 4, 1903, at the age of 28.[2] Inventor Thomas Edison captured the event on film. He would release it later that year under the title Electrocuting an Elephant.
    A means of execution initially discussed was hanging. However, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals protested and other ways were considered. Edison then suggested electrocution with alternating current, which had been used for the execution of humans since 1890.[citation needed]
    To reinforce the execution, Topsy was fed carrots laced with 460 grams of potassium cyanide before the deadly current from a 6,600-volt AC source was sent coursing through her body. She was dead in seconds.[2] The event was witnessed by an estimated 1,500 people and Edison's film of the event was seen by audiences throughout the United States.[citation needed]
    When Luna Park burned down, the fire was referred to as "Topsy's Revenge".[citation needed]
    On July 20, 2003, a memorial for Topsy was erected at the Coney Island Museum

oh and you have to check this one out too!
    “The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”

Winston Churchill

Thanks

A means of execution initially discussed was hanging. However, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals protested and other ways were considered. Edison then suggested electrocution with alternating current, which had been used for the execution of humans since 1890.[citation needed]

Hanging an elephant!!!?????
    Now THAT I would like to have seen!

Thanks

Hanging an elephant!!!?????
    Now THAT I would like to have seen!
    Well since human depravity/ingenuity knows no bounds with just a little research I got my wish....yes folks they have in fact hanged an elephant and I can prove it!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_%28elephant%29

Mary was a five ton Asian elephant who performed in the Sparks World Famous Shows circus. Her death is sometimes interpreted as a cautionary tale of circus animal abuse during the early twentieth century.

On September 11, 1916, a hotel worker named Red Eldridge was hired as an assistant elephant trainer by the circus. On the evening of September 12 he was killed by Mary in Kingsport, Tennessee, while taking her to a nearby pond to splash and drink.[1] There are several accounts of his death but the most widely accepted version is that he prodded her behind the ear with a hook after she reached down to nibble on a watermelon rind. She went into a rage, snatched Eldridge with her trunk, threw him against a drink stand and deliberately stepped on his head, crushing it.

The details of the aftermath are confused in a maze of sensationalist newspaper stories and folklore. Most accounts indicate that she calmed down afterward and didn't charge the onlookers, who began chanting, "Kill the elephant!" Apparently within minutes, a local blacksmith tried to kill Mary, firing more than two dozen rounds with little effect. Newspapers published claims that Murderous Mary had killed several workers in the past and noted that she was larger than the world famous Jumbo the elephant. Meanwhile, the leaders of several nearby towns threatened not to allow the circus to visit if Mary was included. The circus owner, Charlie Sparks, reluctantly decided that the only way to quickly resolve the potentially ruinous situation was to kill the elephant in public. On the following day, a foggy and rainy September 13, 1916, she was transported by rail to Erwin, Tennessee, where a crowd of over 2,500 people (including most of the town's children) assembled in the Clinchfield Railroad yard.

The elephant was hanged by the neck from a railcar-mounted industrial crane. The first attempt resulted in a snapped chain, causing Mary to fall and break her hip as dozens of children fled in terror. The severely wounded elephant died during a second attempt and was buried beside the tracks. Although the authenticity of a widely distributed (and heavily retouched) photo of her death was disputed years later by Argosy magazine, other photographs taken during the incident confirm its provenance.

George Brant's 2008 play tells the story of Mary's execution through the circus members and the residents of Erwin.[2]

Writer Caleb Lewis has written a play about Mary and the events that led to her execution entitled Clinchfield. The play premiered at Flinders University on 22 July 2009.

Singer songwriter Chuck Brodsky has written a song titled "Mary The Elephant".
    and there's even a photo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150px-Elephantmar&.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	21816  

Thanks

[QUOTE=illearth67;1068525296]Well since human depravity/ingenuity knows no bounds with just a little research I got my wish....yes folks they have in fact hanged an elephant and I can prove it!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_%28elephant%29

and there's even a

Humans are sick fucking bastards!!!!

That is one of the most horrible stories iv ever heard!!!

Maybe those pathetic humans deserved to have their shitty fucking faces stamped on by an elephant!!!!

Rest in peace gentle giants.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smokeface For This Useful Post:

budbud007 (04-09-10), illearth67 (03-09-10), yoko2009 (03-09-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,051 Times

I imagine that Coney Island's twin town is probably Hartlepool.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azerbanphal For This Useful Post:

BudMan (03-09-10), illearth67 (03-09-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,621 Times

I think this thread is in very poor taste - he was my Great Great Grandfather, ffs...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ganesha For This Useful Post:

illearth67 (03-09-10), wert (03-09-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Azerbanphal View Post
    I imagine that Coney Island's twin town is probably Hartlepool.
    are we talking monkey hangers ? ...i thought that was huddersfield ???
    if you're retired or you ain't got a job and you ain't growing and smoking weed ,i don't know what the fuck you are doing!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

illearth67 (03-09-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,621 Times

Quote Originally Posted by wert View Post
    are we talking monkey hangers ? ...i thought that was huddersfield ???
    No, it was definitely Hartlepool. (They though the monkey was a Frenchman. Easy mistake to make...)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ganesha For This Useful Post:

Azerbanphal (03-09-10), illearth67 (03-09-10), TheMartian (03-09-10), wert (03-09-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,225 Times

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BURNZ For This Useful Post:

illearth67 (03-09-10), wert (03-09-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,573 Times

we are the scum of the earth!
    The Sweet Zone: Pruning & Topping Indoor Plants For Larger Yields

"I gave up weed because i thought it was turning me into a lazy bastard...........it turns out im just a lazy bastard" - yoko2009

´´wert is god and i am his bitch´´

17. The Following User Says Thank You to yoko2009 For This Useful Post:

illearth67 (03-09-10)