Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: License cannabis sales, expert says

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,049 Times

Default License cannabis sales, expert says

Policymakers should consider allowing the licensed sale of cannabis for recreational use, says one of the UK's leading researchers of the drug.

Professor Roger Pertwee is to make the call in a speech at the British Science Association festival in Birmingham.

He is expected to say radical solutions have to be considered because he believes the current policy of criminalising cannabis is ineffective.

But the government insists decriminalisation would not work.

The dismissal last year of Professor David Nutt as the previous government's leading drugs adviser showed it was in no mood to consider relaxing the status of cannabis as an illegal class B drug.

It is a view shared by the current government, but Prof Pertwee, an expert on cannabis-like chemicals, is to tell scientists that he, like Professor Nutt, believes it is a policy that is doing more harm than good.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

Ideally, recreational cannabis would be banned but that's not going to happen”

End Quote Professor Roger Pertwee Aberdeen University

"I'm talking about harm minimisation," he told BBC News.

"At the moment there is an awful lot of harm caused by what we have at the moment, with children going to a drug dealer or they try and grow it themselves and then they get into trouble with the law."

The University of Aberdeen researcher added: "And by dealing with criminals they may well go on to other drugs as well".

Instead, Prof Pertwee argues, one option policymakers should consider is the setting up of a committee to license the sale of recreational cannabis.

"You would have to think about licensing a suitable supplier and have retail outlets and the next step would be to have marketable, branded products that someone wants to use. At the same time it's got to be as safe as possible," he explained.

Prof Pertwee said licensed products should not be sold in cigarette form - so called "joints".
    Avoiding harm

Manufacturers should instead develop products that avoid lung damage. (cannabis on its own is not carcinogenic)

One delivery mechanism he said should be considered is known among drug users as a "volcano", which heats cannabis to produce a vapour without burning it.

This avoids the burnt products of cannabis that are carcinogenic.

These products should be withheld from high risk groups, he said, especially young people under the age of 21.

Successive governments have resisted efforts to decriminalise cannabis for recreational use.

Even the change in classification for the drug from "B" to the supposedly less harmful class "C" made by the then Home Secretary David Blunkett in 2002 was reversed in 2009.

So how does Professor Pertwee respond to the suggestion that what he is asking for is politically unrealistic?

He said: "What's the alternative?"

"Ideally, recreational cannabis would be banned but that's not going to happen so we're now in a situation where there is quite a lot of harm done by recreational cannabis and what we've got to do is think about a way of reducing that harm".

A Home Office spokesman said: "There is clear evidence that cannabis is a harmful drug which can cause damage to mental health in the immediate and longer term.

"Even the occasional use of cannabis can be dangerous for people with diseases of the circulatory system.

"The government does not believe that decriminalisation of cannabis is the right approach. Our priorities are clear: we want to reduce drug use, crack down on drug-related crime and disorder and help addicts come off drugs for good."

Master Poet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Policymakers should consider allowing the licensed sale of cannabis for recreational use, says one of the UK's leading researchers of the drug.

Professor Roger Pertwee is to make the call in a speech at the British Science Association festival in Birmingham.

He is expected to say radical solutions have to be considered because he believes the current policy of criminalising cannabis is ineffective.

But the government insists decriminalisation would not work.

The dismissal last year of Professor David Nutt as the previous government's leading drugs adviser showed it was in no mood to consider relaxing the status of cannabis as an illegal class B drug.

It is a view shared by the current government, but Prof Pertwee, an expert on cannabis-like chemicals, is to tell scientists that he, like Professor Nutt, believes it is a policy that is doing more harm than good.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

Ideally, recreational cannabis would be banned but that's not going to happen”

End Quote Professor Roger Pertwee Aberdeen University

"I'm talking about harm minimisation," he told BBC News.

"At the moment there is an awful lot of harm caused by what we have at the moment, with children going to a drug dealer or they try and grow it themselves and then they get into trouble with the law."

The University of Aberdeen researcher added: "And by dealing with criminals they may well go on to other drugs as well".

Instead, Prof Pertwee argues, one option policymakers should consider is the setting up of a committee to license the sale of recreational cannabis.

"You would have to think about licensing a suitable supplier and have retail outlets and the next step would be to have marketable, branded products that someone wants to use. At the same time it's got to be as safe as possible," he explained.

Prof Pertwee said licensed products should not be sold in cigarette form - so called "joints".
    Avoiding harm

Manufacturers should instead develop products that avoid lung damage. (cannabis on its own is not carcinogenic)

One delivery mechanism he said should be considered is known among drug users as a "volcano", which heats cannabis to produce a vapour without burning it.

This avoids the burnt products of cannabis that are carcinogenic.

These products should be withheld from high risk groups, he said, especially young people under the age of 21.

Successive governments have resisted efforts to decriminalise cannabis for recreational use.

Even the change in classification for the drug from "B" to the supposedly less harmful class "C" made by the then Home Secretary David Blunkett in 2002 was reversed in 2009.

So how does Professor Pertwee respond to the suggestion that what he is asking for is politically unrealistic?

He said: "What's the alternative?"

"Ideally, recreational cannabis would be banned but that's not going to happen so we're now in a situation where there is quite a lot of harm done by recreational cannabis and what we've got to do is think about a way of reducing that harm".

A Home Office spokesman said: "There is clear evidence that cannabis is a harmful drug which can cause damage to mental health in the immediate and longer term.

"Even the occasional use of cannabis can be dangerous for people with diseases of the circulatory system.

"The government does not believe that decriminalisation of cannabis is the right approach. Our priorities are clear: we want to reduce drug use, crack down on drug-related crime and disorder and help addicts come off drugs for good."
    This was in the Metro this morning.

Can't see it happening tbh.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,915 Times

Like I said b4 , it ain't gonna happen , if any thing happens to any body ie: cancer through smoking tobacco with weed that they never used to smoke untill the goverment legalised it basically saying it's safe, then they will be claiming millions of the goverment.
    The goverment are spending billions a year trying to stop people smoking , how thick will they look if they legalise weed knowing that 99% of users smoke it with tobbaco?

I couldn't give a shit tbh if it legal or not , I grow and smoke my own and it doesn't effect anybody else.
    It's all mine mwahahahaa.
    Last edited by cannamancan; 14-09-10 at 08:49 AM.
    If you grow/use medical marijuana you are a criminal , to be classed as a patient you need to buy drugs from the goverment. Cannamancan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post

How many experts are going to have to speak out about this before the Home Office stop with their usual rhetoric?

How does the government expect to succeed in their priorities by sticking to their prohibitionist views? All the aims stated by the Home Office Spokesman are far, far easier to achieve if decriminalisation or even legalisation is implemented first!
    "The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

- Dr. Carl Sagan

Thanks

Note that the home office response is word for word identical to the one on their website that has been there for months.

And these people are in power???

Thanks

Well, the movement of the drugs council to be seperate from the government, so that they cannot refuse evidence anymore is a good move, I think that eventually it will happen in some way, prohibition does not work, eventually they will realise this, its just a case of continuing to present the case.

Thanks

i saw this being discussed on telly today and the old chestnut "it will lead to harder drugs"came up yet again, until we see someone challenge this with the facts we all know on this then i dont see things moving on, however that being said the more this is discussed in public and media with people educated on the subject then surely that can be nothing then a move forward from the draconian state we have lived with for years. i got caught by the school selling puff back in the mid 80's when i was 15, the head of year had to come to my house and i had to tell my mum, i kid you not the very first words to exit her mouth was "oh my god i need a cigarette" yet she would never even consider discussing "the evil weed", at least now she can discuss it more openly so its a start.

how about this, if people choose to take drugs of any sort and become ill through its use then the cost of fixing them up should be down to the person choosing to use that drug, now i know that is not easy for people of certain financial disposition but who here has needed hospital help from weed alone? i doubt any, if this were brought in then what affect does this have on society? none so id be happy to sign up for that.
    Guitars Xbox and weed is all i need.

blurry-vision Guest

Even if it did happen you just know they would probably only sell very low THC weed, so most people would still just grow as it would be cheaper and you get to choose what you smoke..

Thanks

Our feeble minded, pathetic, hypocrytical, shortsighted, un-ethical, retarded spazfucks of government will be one of the last in the world to legalise it.
    Impossible for them control freaks to control. They don't like it when they don't have meglamaniac control over everything the short sighted dumb arsed fuckwitts.
    The reason it bacame illegal in the first place was pure and simple rascism. They didn't want our white kids to get turned on by the black jazz musician's music and their reefer.
    Cunts, cunts CUNTS all of them. How dare those motherfuckering pieces of shit tell me i'm a criminal coz I smoke something that grows out the ground. I'd love to kick that Tory cunt
    Cameron right in his fucking janglers and force feed the fucker a bucket bong.
    Arnie has got the right idea. He's bringing in a law in Calafornia where anyone can grow as many plants as they want as long as the grow area is no larger than 5ft x 5ft.
    He thinks this will put the Mexican grass growers out of business and take some burden from the justice system. The feds are doing their nut.
    And the sea isn't green,
    And I love the queen,
    And what exactly is a dream
    And what exactly is a joke

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedroog For This Useful Post:

Bitterfly (14-09-10)

Thanks

a just dont get it its workin out perfectly fine in amsterdam stupid fukin goverment theyv lost my vote lol
    first grow pot of gold in flower stelth grow in a cubord

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ie-pot-of-gold

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast