Thread: Signs a plant is root bound?

Thanks

Default Signs a plant is root bound?

High all

On my latest grow i fear i may have not put eniough soil in some of my pots..... schoolboy error i know lol

My first question is, what are the signs of a plant becoming root bound?

And my next one, do you think it would be safe if i literally pulled the whole rootball and plant out of the pot, add soil in underneath and then put the plant back in?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    High all

On my latest grow i fear i may have not put eniough soil in some of my pots..... schoolboy error i know lol

My first question is, what are the signs of a plant becoming root bound?

And my next one, do you think it would be safe if i literally pulled the whole rootball and plant out of the pot, add soil in underneath and then put the plant back in?
    I just slide the pot off a bit and look at the sides, if the roots are totally coating the outside its likely running/ran out of space

I've done this a couple of times, cause after a few weeks the soil settles a bit anyway, your always going to have space at the top, and adding soil to the TOP is pointless, so I add a few inch of pearlite heavy soil (cause the stuff rises to the top with time) dampen it a bit and put the plant back in, took to the new space easy enough with no/little signs of stress

What part of repotting is it that stresses the plant?, as I've rarely noticed this myself, is it just down to how gentle you are with the plant? or is it the addition of new soil with a different mix?
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

Thanks

A good and pretty accurate sign a plant is outgrowing its pot is the lower leaves starting to turn yellow. If you aren't checking the roots then this will tell you to.. Should be pretty obvious they're root bound when there's plenty of roots between soil and pot - like strider said, they can't get enough goodness from the soil then.
    It's ok to yank the plant & soil and add some more soil at the bottom if you want to.. though it is some "stress" for the plant to start growing root into it, only to be repotted again soon. You'd probably be better off just repotting in bigger pots alltogether so the plant can really stretch its legs and you don't put it through disturbance several times close together.

Thanks

Permanent droopyness is another sign. If you have roots growing in circles around the root ball they gradually compact the soil, reducing the amount of air pockets around the roots which leads to drooping (and yellowing)