Thread: Advice on harvesting and curing please :)

Thanks

Default Advice on harvesting and curing please :)

After 9 glorious weeks of flowering my babies are ready, and as this has been my first grow I'm not 100% as to what I do next, do I just cut the plant at it's base, trim away the leafs then hang it upside down in a dark room? How long should i leave them before i can smoke them? Thanks

Master Poet Guest

Before cutting at the base, remove all large fan leaves, then cut at base and trim to your satisfaction, hang on a wire/twine in the grow room with the fans running and oscilating fan blowing under the buds. Leave for 5-7 days usually or until buds have dried enough so that when you gently squeez them they bounce back a little. trim buds off stems and place in paper bags or newspaper for a day or 2 to remove excess moisture and then place in air tight jars to cure. Burp (open the jars) twice a day for the first week leaving the jars open for about 30 mins at a time, gently moving the buds about in the jar. In the second week open the jars once a day. Once this is done then the bud is just about ready to smoke.

After the second week there should be no need to open the jars again to burp them, but the longer you keep the buds in the sealed jar curing the better smoke it will be
    Last edited by Master Poet; 01-10-10 at 11:13 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Poet For This Useful Post:

BudMan (03-10-10), J420 (01-10-10)

Thanks

That's awesome dude! Thanks alot for the advice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drgreenthumb86 View Post
    After 9 glorious weeks of flowering my babies are ready, and as this has been my first grow I'm not 100% as to what I do next, do I just cut the plant at it's base, trim away the leafs then hang it upside down in a dark room? How long should i leave them before i can smoke them? Thanks
    DRYING.

Living marijuana leaves are 80 percent water; colas are about 70 percent water. Marijuana dried for smoking contains only eight to 10 percent water, or about 10 percent of the original amount. There are several methods used to evaporate water; these have little effect on potency, but can affect the taste, bouquet, and smoothness of the smoke. Generally, the slower the dry, the smoother the taste. Excess drying and drying methods that use heat will evaporate some of the volatile oils that give each grass its unique taste and aroma.

Grasses which are dried as part of the curing process usually have a smooth, mild taste, because of the elimination of chlorophyll and various proteins. Cured marijuana may also be a little sweeter than when first picked, because the curing converts some of the plant's starch to simple sugars.

Some grasses are tasty and smooth-smoking when they are dried without curing, especially fresh homegrown buds which retain their volatile oils and sugar. Many homegrowers have acquired a taste for "natural" uncured grass, with its minty chlorophyll flavour; such marijuana is dried directly after harvesting.

Slow Drying.

Slow drying is probably the method most commonly used to dry marijuana. Because of the slowness of the dry, a slight cure takes place, eliminating the bite sometimes associated with quickly dried grass.

There are many variations of the technique, but most commonly whole plants or separated colas are suspended upside down from a drawn string or from pegs on a wall in a cool dark room, closet, or other enclosed space. A large number of plants may take a week or two to dry. The drying time for small numbers of plants can be increased. (for a slight cure) the drying room should have no heavy drafts, but mould may form on the plants if the air is stagnant. If weather is rainy or the air humid, increase ventilation and watch for any mould. Plants should be dried quickly under moderate heat if any mould appears.

Many experienced growers prefer slow drying to curing. There is little chance of error with this method, and buds usually smoke smooth and develop a pliable consistency. Slow-dried ripe buds retain their delicious, sweet aroma and taste.

CURING.

Curing is a process employed to naturally enhance the bouquet, flavour, and texture of marijuana. Curing does not lower potency when done correctly, although poor curing methods often result in some less of THC.

Curing is not an essential procedure, and many growers prefer the "natural" flavour of uncured grass. Sweet sinsemilla buds usually are not cured.

Curing is most successful on plants which have "ripened" and are beginning to lose chlorophyll. It is less successful on growing tips and other vigorous parts which are immature. These parts may only lose some chlorophyll.

Curing proceeds while the leaf is still alive, for until it dries, many of the leaf's life processes continue. Since the leaf's ability to produce sugars is thwarted, it breaks down stored starch to simple sugars, which are used for food. This gives the grass a sweet or earthy aroma and taste. At the same time, many of the complex proteins and pigments, such as chlorophyll, are broken down in enzymatic processes. This changes the colour of the leaf from green to various shades of yellow, brown, tan, or red, depending primarily on the variety, but also on growing environment and cure technique. The destruction of chlorophyll eliminates the minty taste that is commonly associated with green homegrown.

AFTER DRYING.

Any variety benefits from a slow cure. Curing involves atmospheric oxygen to metabolize cannabinnoids and terpenes into more desirable forms. After the harvest is dry enough to create a snapping sound when stems are bent, the material is placed in sealed glass containers (mason jars). Once the oxygen is consumed within them, the process slows to a halt.

The jars should be opened and aired out once or twice every 24 hours. If you smoke a bud as soon as it is drys, it is nothing like it becomes after a nice slow dry and cure. The buds must remain dry with no moisture from inner stems still dispersing, kept out of direct light and the ambient temperature/humidity should be comfortable for humans. I usually extend the curing time to 5 weeks, if discernable improvements were still occuring. No bud should be smoked before its time. Its like a fine wine that gets better with age.

LUDACRIS.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,061 Times