Thread: Which light fixture/setup for LAB60 grow tent (it's similar to a DR60)?

Thanks

Default Which light fixture/setup for LAB60 grow tent (it's similar to a DR60)?

Greetings chaps,

OK I've currently got a baby girl only 14 days old (from seed) in a bubbler in a Hydrolabs LAB60 tent (if you are not familiar with this then consider it to be a DR60 with 20cm less height) under a 125w CFL vegging away.

• The dimensions of the tent are 60cm x 60cm x 120cm.
    • Ventilation is a 4" carbon filter going to a TT100 (4" inline 180cm/h) and exhausting out of the tent to open space.
    • Veg lighting is 125w CFL (2-3" from the seedling).

I am looking to change to 250w HPS as soon as possible using a Lumatek digital ballast and a dual spectrum bulb. Like many before me I am looking for information on heat issues. I am in two minds as to whether or not to get a cooltube or to go with a standard, simple Dutch Barn style reflector. I can appreciate that a cooltube will do a better job of keeping the setup cooler but with a standard reflector and good airflow in such a small space could the same temps be achieved?

I would like to know if anyone has been in this situation before and if so what worked for you?

If I can eliminate the expense of a cooltube I would be able to spend the cash on a digital ballast. Does anyone know how much hotter a 250w HPS light is compared to a 125w CFL?

ps.

Also this is my first grow so please excuse me if I seem a bit clueless as to what to do.

Master Poet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_MonCanna View Post
    Greetings chaps,

OK I've currently got a baby girl only 14 days old (from seed) in a bubbler in a Hydrolabs LAB60 tent (if you are not familiar with this then consider it to be a DR60 with 20cm less height) under a 125w CFL vegging away.

• The dimensions of the tent are 60cm x 60cm x 120cm.
    • Ventilation is a 4" carbon filter going to a TT100 (4" inline 180cm/h) and exhausting out of the tent to open space.
    • Veg lighting is 125w CFL (2-3" from the seedling).

I am looking to change to 250w HPS as soon as possible using a Lumatek digital ballast and a dual spectrum bulb. Like many before me I am looking for information on heat issues. I am in two minds as to whether or not to get a cooltube or to go with a standard, simple Dutch Barn style reflector. I can appreciate that a cooltube will do a better job of keeping the setup cooler but with a standard reflector and good airflow in such a small space could the same temps be achieved?

I would like to know if anyone has been in this situation before and if so what worked for you?

If I can eliminate the expense of a cooltube I would be able to spend the cash on a digital ballast. Does anyone know how much hotter a 250w HPS light is compared to a 125w CFL?

ps.

Also this is my first grow so please excuse me if I seem a bit clueless as to what to do.

The 250W HPS will run considerably hotter than the CFL, but with the right extraction it should be fine. Running the 4" CF and fan that you have should do the trick with passive intake, but should it get too hot then you may need to add a smallish powered intake, fans can be found on fleabay. Something like this is ideal and is what I have used in the past with ducting.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IN-LINE-EXTRAC...item950343e8b7

Thanks

I had two options between dual spectrum bulb and conversion light and I chose dual spectrum as the better one.

**Spam link removed... that's twice now. One more and you're out mate!
    Last edited by Grub; 12-08-11 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks

Well Ive had to cave in and buy a Cooltube it's gonna be a bit of a squeeze in there but will do it diagonally and see what happens. Im so limited for space it seems like the only way to get the plants closer to the light without burning them. Ill be scrogging but I want to get some decent growth first and Im worried about the stretch that ive read so much about. Anyway i cant wait for the HPS looking forward to the silence of the digital ballast. Ive been around the buzzing magnetic ones before and it was like being near one of those substations that they used to come in schools and tell you not to play near.

Anyway fingers crossed for this grow.

StickyFingerz Guest

You should be fine with temps using a 250W, cooltube and 4" fan mate...watch the height tho!

Good luck!

Thanks

When I get to my new place I plan to buy a DR60 tent with a 250 HPS and was thinking a cool star reflector would be the best choice as from what I have read give good reflection and extraction (apprently cool tubes arnt as good).

Thanks

I thought about fitting one of those too, the problem is that although there is enough space for the face of the reflector the space either side for the ducting is too narrow, also you have to think about where the carbon filter would go as it should really go above the reflector. I think there is a reflector called the sputnik or something like that which has a tighter angle on the top which would allow you to keep the light bit higher.

I have my tent in the loft which is well ventilated, with a cooltube and a 250w hps which I run at night from 6pm till 12pm (midday) temps range from 15.7C to 24C with the extraction fan at about 40%. The ventilation and cooling is...

Carbon Filter --> TT100 Fan (running @40% - silent) --> Cooltube --> Out to the loft.

Got to get a 120w heater tube and thermostat plug control for it soon though as its getting really cold.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    The 250W HPS will run considerably hotter than the CFL, but with the right extraction it should be fine. Running the 4" CF and fan that you have should do the trick with passive intake, but should it get too hot then you may need to add a smallish powered intake, fans can be found on fleabay. Something like this is ideal and is what I have used in the past with ducting.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IN-LINE-EXTRAC...item950343e8b7
    why can no1 say egay?the curiosity is killing me lol