Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost In A Sea Of Nutrients? Advanced Nutrients, Canna etc...

Thanks

Default Lost In A Sea Of Nutrients? Advanced Nutrients, Canna etc...

Nearly got my set-up complete, so I've been searching for what nutrients to buy, and as expected there's vast differences of opinions on what's best for them - cost and effect wise, and along with that there's normally a long lists of combinations that they've been experimenting with. I don't mind paying a little extra as long as it's worth it, but as a beginner I would prefer to keep it simple and develop an understanding as I go. And so would appreciate any help from those with some experience in this field. So anyways I'm growing using bubbler buckets and most likely coco medium, after reading a fair bit on the subject my first choice was on the Advanced Nutrients combo of Bud Blood, Big Bud and Overdrive (and maybe throwing in Hy-pro spray mix) so before buying these I thought it sensible to ask... are these nutrients suitable for a beginner, I've heard Advanced Nutrients can be complicated, not too sure if that's using the connoisseur range or just how they label the instructions? And more importantly are these products worth the money! I've read an equal amount of negative/positive comments on AN, some say they swear by them, from others that it's all marketing and hype, so obviously it can be a little confusing for a newbie such as myself. Are there other products that are cheaper and just as effective? Are there any of the three that could be swapped with another brand? Are there others that could maybe a good addition? I know there's never any definite answer to these questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks

Do you want to grow organically

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

The Bud blood,big bud and overdrive are additives from the AN range
    You will need a base nutrient first.Either a two part or a three part from their range.
    Sensi A/B or grow/micro/bloom.Iv used both with good results.
    You could grow with just these base nutrients to keep it really simple.Or maybe just add the Big bud.All the other stuff isnt really necessary,may add to yield but you will still get nice buds without them.
    Its more important that you have some enzymes in the system.Sensizym is the one from AN and a good root stim.Ya want Roots excelurator from Home and garden for this,Excellent stuff.
    Just remember if you do choose to go with a lot of different products then to adjust the ratios or the Ec will be sky high.

I prefer the Advanced nutes.I tried GHE nutes once and had all sorts of problems
    I dont find the AN any more expensive than other nutes,maybe their additives are but like I say you dont have to use them
    Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Tick Tock (27-11-10)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

Quote Originally Posted by bethmeg View Post
    The Bud blood,big bud and overdrive are additives from the AN range
    You will need a base nutrient first.Either a two part or a three part from their range.
    Sensi A/B or grow/micro/bloom.Iv used both with good results.
    You could grow with just these base nutrients to keep it really simple.
    good advice beth.
    if you are new,start off with some decent hydro base nutes,when you can grow and get decent results you can add boosters and additives to enhance your crop.
    if you're retired or you ain't got a job and you ain't growing and smoking weed ,i don't know what the fuck you are doing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (27-11-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lacy View Post
    Do you want to grow organically
    haha starting to think I should of... little too late now what with the money invested.

Thanks for all your help, from what I read I wasn't given the idea that big bud was just an additive, I think I'll do without it and keep things simple for now, again thanks for your advice you've cleared things up quite a bit.

Icon Guest

I would agree with everything said above
    This is the basic setup you need.
    A 2 part veg nutrient
    A 2 part flower nute
    A bloom booster/PK spike

Anything else you put in may or may not improve yield/quality but untill you grow with the basic setup you wont really know what is better or best in other products

Vitalink is imho the best range for good quality reliable grows.

Either way just take it slowly when adding any nutes as it is very easy to overfeed
    Last edited by Icon; 27-11-10 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bethmeg View Post
    Its more important that you have some enzymes in the system.Sensizym is the one from AN and a good root stim.Ya want Roots excelurator from Home and garden for this,Excellent stuff
    That H&G Root Excelurator seems really expensive for the amount you get, £30 for 250ml & £50 for 500ml, how far does this stuff go, do you use it from start to finish? would the 250ml do for one grow? (12 plants... hopefully).

Same questions with Sensizym really, would there be any point buying just one liter or would I run dry within a month or so? also would this be used in combination with H&G Root Excelurator? from the descriptions on websites they seem like the same sort of product, except Sensizym being markedly cheaper for larger amounts. Sorry for the dumb questions but after searching for info and coming short thought it would be quicker to just ask.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

Dont think they are the same product.Although Im too mashed to explain why sorry.
    Someone else will Im sure.
    Dont think there are enzymes in roots excel.I may be wrong.

A little goes a long way 3ml for 10 litres.
    I only use it till Im happy with my root growth.
    It states on the bottle to use for the first 5 weeks only.
    So this is what I did then i switch to enzymes.

Except on this grow Im trying something different.Hygrozyme which is sterile.
    Hygrozyme is an OMRI approved organic enzyme solution, designed to break down and remove dead organic matter that may have built up on roots or growing media. It can be used with soil, rockwool, coco and in hydroponic systems.

Because Hygrozyme is sterile (bacteria free) and inert, it is the only enzyme product in the market that can be used in conjunction with Oxy Plus (hydrogen peroxide) to clean, sterilise and oxygenate roots. It can also be used alone to provide the ideal natural cleaning solution.

Im happy with the way things are going,so whether its down to that I dont know.
    The yanks seem to love it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Tick Tock (07-12-10)

Thanks

I'd agree with most of the advice given here. Just a few thoughts to add:

2-part or 3-part base nutrients - it doesn't matter a lot which way you go but in my experience you don't run out of the 3-part nutrient bottles at the same time. The 2-part bottles stay even so you replace them both the same time. That can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. (It's cheaper to buy one new bottle than two, but with a 3-part it seems like I'm never far from needing a new bottle of something.)

Enzymatic additives are great, no doubt there. They're also a bit pricey so if you're at all stunned by the price tag go ahead and skip them this time around. You really only need base nutes, and it's a good idea to toss in a bloom booster on top of that, but everything else is gravy.

Roots Excelurator is great. You'll undoubtedly want to try it sooner or later but again that's something you can leave off until you're more experienced.

My advice is this: Get base nutes, a bloom booster or two, and leave it at that (well pH adjusters too). Anything you're not sure if you'll need just assume you don't. Keep studying and your knowledge will grow proportional to your experience. You'll naturally incorporate new additives when you're ready. Jumping the gun is what gets people in trouble.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,721 Times

are 2 part nutes better than 1 part nutes. I used canna aqua vega a&b and then canna aqua flores &b, this time round i was gonna use the 1 part, 3 set of GHE that up2nogood and some others use, after seeing his results

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast