Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody recomed me a soil

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,803 Times

go to wilco's and get any old soil with nute pellets in if you dont wanna buy nute's.
    also yeh I allways put a layer of chunky pebbles/stones at the bottem to aid drainage as i dont usually use perlite.
    as for the repotting issue somone mentiond there is no problem. with autos it is best to plant it straight into it's final pot so no repotting is needed. the bigger the better in pot size.
    personally I would go for a basic soil and get some proper nutrients, but thats just me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stealthgrower For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome...I am using Foxfarm Ocean Forest. Gr8 soil m8. Check it out.
    "Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck" - George Carlin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizzy Spyder For This Useful Post:

Jāck Herer Guest

Thanks for all your help you have given me lots to think about

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Raver View Post
    I think I will just go with the jiffy pellets. Thanks mate

Also while I'm on the subject of soil, is it a good idea to put a layer of stones/gravel at the bottom of the pot and then put the soil onto that.
    If you use them, Id advise cutting the mesh type thing around the sides that holds them together when you pot them into soil. Roots can get tangled in it. I didnt cut mesh on first grow and there is a definate improvment now Ive done it on my second grow. Make sure they are moist though as they will fall apart otherwise. Very stressful when that happens haha.

strewth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ensign Pavel Chekov View Post
    If you use them, Id advise cutting the mesh type thing around the sides that holds them together when you pot them into soil. Roots can get tangled in it. I didnt cut mesh on first grow and there is a definate improvment now Ive done it on my second grow. Make sure they are moist though as they will fall apart otherwise. Very stressful when that happens haha.
    I've used Jiffy pellets for years mate with no probs what so ever, that mesh thing is what keeps em together, so for me i would defo not cut em them off as you will just end up with a lump of soil.
    Just soak em in the sink in warm water for about 5 mins, give em a press in between your fingers to make sure there are no hard bits left inside them, squeeze out a bit of excess water and your good to go

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleZero View Post
    I've used Jiffy pellets for years mate with no probs what so ever, that mesh thing is what keeps em together, so for me i would defo not cut em them off as you will just end up with a lump of soil.
    Just soak em in the sink in warm water for about 5 mins, give em a press in between your fingers to make sure there are no hard bits left inside them, squeeze out a bit of excess water and your good to go
    Hi Zero, I guess if it works for you, then thats ok.
    Personnally, I was convinced that the roots werent all that on my first attempt and when I harvested, one of the 2 plants had come unstuck in the mesh and had shit root system. Co-incidentally, at that time I bought Jorge Cervantes Bible and he advises taking off mesh also. That was good enough for me!
    But each to their own I guess. This crop is growing quicker though.
    Pav

strewth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ensign Pavel Chekov View Post
    Hi Zero, I guess if it works for you, then thats ok.
    Personnally, I was convinced that the roots werent all that on my first attempt and when I harvested, one of the 2 plants had come unstuck in the mesh and had shit root system. Co-incidentally, at that time I bought Jorge Cervantes Bible and he advises taking off mesh also. That was good enough for me!
    But each to their own I guess. This crop is growing quicker though.
    Pav
    Realy, am surprised mate but as you say each to there own lol, if you gonna cut the nets off then you need to put the pellet into something to keep it all together, i norm get roots coming out everywhere in jiffy's to be fair lol

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,305 Times

I have tried many soils, and controversially, bnq seedling compy is the best and has a great light texture and waters very well, even when it's bone dry.
    Becomes inert quickly so ready with the feed, but that's part of the appeal. Only soil I have used that has never had some sort of bug arriving in the groom. Westlands mp is also excellent.
    About 3p per litre.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Swilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,803 Times

yeh I agree with the swilly.
    I once got a big bag of the stuff most recomended by my hydro shop and I found the cheap stuff from B&Q to be just as good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChronMan View Post
    only difference would be the fertilizer will run out quicker in the budget soil IMHO
    you would think that as i did ,look at my link to my grow the bigger green lush plant was a 2 quid growbag,the royaty mix lost its nut first,posh soil is all it is,,,,,,,a cheep grow bag and add your own perlite,jobs a goodn "IMHO"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iggypot For This Useful Post:

Mr Swilly (11-12-10)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast