Thread: info on keeping a mother plant

bestbud Guest

Default info on keeping a mother plant

hi all im currently doing a grow in 9 pot wilma and once these are done i was wanting to get into taking cuttings myself. not from these but getting some more fem'd seeds and finding a good mother. i need to find out about keeping a mother first so i will start with a few questions.

firstly what size light would be good practice for keeping a mother. i seen a tent package in greens with a 250 cfl red and 250 cfl blue. obviously the blue bulb is the one but is 250 too much for mothering.

another one is do u keep it in soil or bubbler on nft of wot?

how do control growth (height)? will the plant just keep reaching for the sky?

how often can u take cuttings?

how long can the plant live for if ya keep taking cuttings (will it stress the plant that bad)?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,070 Times

its best to keep mothers in soil less hassle just train them to death bend over top them and they will put out lots of new growth so you can take lots of cuts my mothers are about a 18 inch tall and i could take 20 cuts a week of each if i needed to

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alwaystoned_1 For This Useful Post:

bestbud Guest

thanks mate. what light do keep her under? and what light cycle 24/7 18/6?

Thanks

always_stoned can you put a pic up of your mother please mate in the tent, i wanna see what height it is to be able to take 20 a week

Cheers

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

You could keep a mum under plenty less light and she'll be happy but she would do well under a 250cfl.
    I keep my mums little, just top them about 5 nodes up and then keep taking cuttings at the new shoots, every cutting you take, take it just above a node and you'll get 2 new shoots, by the time you've taken 3 or 4 sets you'll have quite a few available cuttings each and every 2 weeks
    I use 18/6 and soil. Pot mums up slowly, helps keep them small, but at the same time don't stress em and let em get root bound.

Also depends on how many cuts you want, but if lots then put her in a big pot and put her under the 250. If a small amount then do as I said with the whole small pots, 1L, then upto 3 or 5, then upto 7.5 a few weeks later.

And also, if they start growing too big or anything, just lop the top off to which node you want and let her bush out instead.

I killed 3 small mums tonight as they were taking up unnecessary space. I kinda feel like a murderer now, had a good 15 or so cuttings ready to take on each, way too many for me though, was a fun lesson to practice though, got some good cuts off those 3
    Last edited by Up_in_smoke; 21-12-10 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks

mines under a 125w cfl il take a pic n put it up later

Thanks

heres a pic of one of my mothers

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alwaystoned_1 For This Useful Post:

gr33nfingers (21-12-10)