Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old School Rave Nostalgia Trip

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,621 Times

Default Old School Rave Nostalgia Trip

I mentioned months ago that I'd dig out some of the flyers from raves I used to go to over 20 years ago. Well, joy of joys, I finally located them. I'll post them up but to start with here's my favourite with a good story attached:

The Sunrise MidsummerNights Dream was at White Waltham aerodrome & the largest rave to take place up to that point (1989). It was absolutely brilliant & remains the best rave I ever went to. I'm also proud to say that as far as I'm aware my wife & I were the only people to turn up on a motorbike. I'm glad we did cos the roads surrounding the area were almost completely blocked by cars abandoned by ravers who legged the last bit of the journey over the fields to the venue. We saw hundreds parked up on the hard shoulder of the M25 too as we made our way home in the morning. Luckily we were able to squeeze our way out & got home a good deal earlier than most of the car drivers.

It was incredibly well organised & there was a team of 20 or so dealers working the floor wearing colour co-ordinated tracksuits so as to be easily identifiable. The music was outstanding (check the DJ list), the lights & lasers were good & tbh I can't fault it in any way.

So on the following Monday when we made it into the Evening Standard you can imagine how overjoyed we were. I think the article is just about legible, I hope so. Anyway we're there in the picture (circled) though you wouldn't know cos it's too dark but I know it's us cos we were sat in that exact spot & I even remember the bloke taking photos at the time.

According to the blurb we were 'biting the heads off pigeons' in our drugged out frenzy earlier in the evening & people were dancing naked & openly having sex. (Er, the last bit is actually true, I saw at least 3 couples shagging. Heh!)

This was the biggest rave so far & questions were asked in Parliament. It eventually led to the Bright Bill & the Criminal Justice Act's inclusion of a ban on gatherings with music 'of repetitive beats', a particularly mean spirited piece of legislation (remember that?).

So there you go. A piece of history & a very fond memory for me. Anyone else go to it?

I'll post up some more flyers when I get round to scanning them.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ganesha For This Useful Post:

Bush Doctor (18-04-11), Muller (21-01-11), prime (14-01-11), sweetooth67 (27-04-11), wigster (17-01-11)

blurry-vision Guest

Nice one nesha enjoyed reading that and interesting to see the flyers, I used to have loads from local raves in my area but I chucked em all out, daft really as i still got plenty of the old tunes, used to have them all over me bedroom wall haha..(The flyers not the records heh) But yeah my era was more 1994 onwards was always a tad jealous of people who went out in the late 80's early 90's, but I still had a great time especially in the first 2-3 years of it, but yeah thanks for sharing that mate !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blurry-vision For This Useful Post:

Ganesha (12-01-11)

Jāck Herer Guest

drug partys ftw!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times

i started raving in the mid 90's when i was 15, so im a little after you nesh. awesome that you have the flyer and news article too brother, thanks for sharing. there was a club in my home town that used to attract people from miles and miles around that was the place to be in the early 90's. the hippodrome middleton. theres a few related videos if you go on youtube, showing it in its prime and then derelict and finally being demolished.

where do the years go. its a sports centre now.

personally here are two of my memories.
    pause at 4.01 and see someone who i might recognise. tallest at back going "ggnmnnaaarrr"

pause at 3.17 to see a fellow enjoying himself

sorry for the thread hijack nesh
    When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Bobby Digital Guest

thanks for sharing nesh, love the way this all was so easy to do back then, still happening now around the world just need to find the virgin territory

Thanks

I remember going to Konspiracy in Manchester in about 1990 - the Missus had relocated up there to finish her articles (Lawyer). We were told that there was a regular party in Bolton in 'the Tunnels'? We never made it but it became the stuff of legend. I do regret not checking it out.

Our regular haunt was Dungeons in Leyton. 'Labyrinth' was the Friday night do, I forget what they called the Saturday night bash. Utterly outstanding. E's the size of horse pills. Pukka MDMA for 20 quid a throw guranteed to fuck you for a good 10 hours solid. Thems were the days indeed. As we said then: "Mental!"

Such happy memories.

Bobby Digital Guest

hhhhhm yes mdma now its all shite unless you know sum1 hehe

Thanks

Not done it for years M8, don't know if I could handle it these days what with my pipe & slippers, eh? LOL!

But I have such happy memories & I can genuininely claim that I WOZ THERE!!! That's enough for me.

Icon Guest

Those were the days and indeed still are in the right clubs to a lesser extent

Bobby Digital Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ganesha View Post
    Not done it for years M8, don't know if I could handle it these days what with my pipe & slippers, eh? LOL!

But I have such happy memories & I can genuinely claim that I WOZ THERE!!! That's enough for me.
    M8 its like riding a bicycle so easy to get back on it, hehe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast