Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to stop roots blocking up returns in rdwc?

Thanks

Default How to stop roots blocking up returns in rdwc?

Gooday all,
    As above,ive tried various methods,as yet to no sucsess.
    Tried net pots with pond filters in the returns,the mrs nylons,but within a week the lil blighters still getting down and threw into the pipes,the roots that is.
    How do fellow rdwc good peeps deal with this.

Thanks

I just logged on this morning to type the same thing. My roots have gone fucking mental! I wasn't expecting this at all, it's just a solid bucket of roots about 10 inches deep. I can force my hand down the side, but very little water is making it as far as the return pipe. I'm getting a little worried about drowning the plants now, and I've had to turn my pump onto it's lowest setting just to keep the water level in the buckets below the net pots.

I really can't think of a solution, anything that could be used to move the roots away from the return is instantly smothered by the root mass, and we're back to square one.

Jimmy

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

Not too sure but if you increase the water flow would this make it more difficult for roots to grow into the return pipes. Then as you have a good root mass, chopping away the 1% near the return wouldn't hurt. It may be the case that the roots have just got too big already and it's a gonna be a constant battle

Finger crossed for you big lad

Thanks

My return was piss poor in the first place,its been an ongoing experiment,learning curve,constantly adapting lols!! all part of the fun.
    I was using 19mm return then doubled it ie added a second19mm,still they searched out the return,(think they going for the source of the food) Lol.
    On a serious note I think its the flow that encourages em to travel down the return its the path of least resistance..why try to resist it ?
    My returns were at the base of the Aqua farm,ive replaced them both with 1x 40mm return that enters the farm at about where the bottom of the top tray sits and this fitting is easily acessable to remove for inspection /Root maitenance.

Sofar so good, but i cant help think in another 5-7 days they'l be back.Least ill be able to push em bak in eeasily.
    And me thinking now returns not situated at the base of farm they mite not venture up n out so easily
    Be interesting to c what others do??
    Peace

Thanks

Ah, so my problem is slightly different. I did have roots in the pipes, but these aren't the cause of my problem. It's the very size of the root mass that is my issue, it totally fills the bottom half of the bucket, hardly letting any water flow through to the return pipes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
    Ah, so my problem is slightly different. I did have roots in the pipes, but these aren't the cause of my problem. It's the very size of the root mass that is my issue, it totally fills the bottom half of the bucket, hardly letting any water flow through to the return pipes
    Same as pal Bottom of aqua farm ALL FILLED UP with root ball,mine were venturing of down the return long b4 the bottom res was full of roots though.
    Checked last night and all still good.
    My latest issue is the humidity im getting in the flowering area hitting up to 60% with fans on full bore.
    Ive tried bringing air in from the house outside house dont seem to make a diference.

Out of curiosity what sort of stats do you get,think were growing in pretty simular conditions?
    Had a fair bit of mould on my last run,so begining to get a bit panicky now as im 3.5 wks in flower,n its only gona get higher!!
    last resort is a dehumidifier but im reluctant to go there.

Still no coments from other Fellow RDWC buddies on how they deal with the prob??

Thanks

I'm currently still in veg, mate. My humidity is at 21% I'm planning on running a dehumidifier of some description, as soon as it becomes necessary. I also lost a good chunk of my last grow to mould, and I'm not keen to do so again. Temps in my tent vary between 21c and 27c.

I'm really very anxious to hear any responses on the root issue, I'm at the point now where I'm thinking of cutting them down and starting again
    There is virtually no water flow, it is just pumped on top of the roots and it sits there. I had set a timer to turn the pump on and off at 15 min intervals, but the bucket fills to the point of overflowing (came home to a nicely flooded tent today) before the 15 mins is up. I can turn the pump down, but then it's not moving nearly enough water to even be worth using.

Any ideas at all? Please?

Jimmy

Thanks

Also having major difficulty adjusting my pH. I can't test the buckets indivually, as they're under a screen, and any reading I take from the control res is redundant, because the water isn't flowing between them and the buckets.

Icon Guest

Can you go into chat at all?

Thanks

Highriser, is yours a DIY RDWC? Am getting the parts together for a 6-8 pot system. Any help of what i'm missing would be helpful.

Currently have/Ordered -

8 - 20l Square Buckets
    8 - 14mm Netpots
    1- Hailea HX6840
    1- Hailea 600l Airpump
    8 - 2" Ball Airstones
    1 - 8way Manifold
    1 - 25mm Stop Valve
    1 - 30mm to 25mm Reducer

Plumping parts still to buy.

Chance of 6 Pot of gold cuttings.

Cheers