Thread: Weak stem

Thanks

Default Weak stem

Ive got a few seedlings going, 4 white widow and a few random ones that were seed found in a friends weed pack well one of the white widows stems wasnt holding itself up and overnight it pretty much snapped with the crinkle in the stem like its been pushed in and one of the random ones is lanky and has fallen over whats causing this and what should i do about it, i thought about support it with a cane but i decided that the stem will always be weak if i did that as it would just rely on the cane for support. what do you guys reccomend as a solution, i should know this as i studied horticulture for two years but alas i must of forgot.

Thanks

Use support until its strong enough to stand by itself. If stems are really long and weak it usually means there is not enough light OR light too far away OR not enough Blue Spectrum.

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

As said mate, they're not getting enough usable light so are stretching in search of it. A small fan gently blowing on them should be used from day one, this will strengthen them stems and stop them breaking.

Thanks

well i can easily sort out the light issue as there is a specific fluro tube coming in the next couple of days and currently there is just one of those household energy lights. i will keep that but add the other one too. so you say a fan? will one of those pc fans do? i can get one of those and at the same time have a fan suitable for my future plan to make up a grow box. what kind of size do you guys suggest, will be looking to get a few of the same size and still be able to get a carbon filter.