Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting fan leaves off ?

Thanks

Default Cutting fan leaves off ?

a friend of mine cutts all his big fan leaves off in the 5 week of flower he says they then consentrate on growing the budds more is this true ?

Thanks

you can take a couple to give good light to the buds but i'd never take them all! I tie or tuck mine where possible as the fans are the main energy source!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,596 Times

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tay For This Useful Post:

marmalade dreams (15-02-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,275 Times

Personally, I don't cut any fan leaves off. Think of them as your plant's solar panels, they're needed to convert light into energy for the plant.

I know that a number of growers trim the undercarriage of each plant, removing any low, spindly branches that don't reach the canopy. This, in theory, would then concentrate growth to the remaining buds, but as I don't do this either, I can't really comment on how well it works.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,275 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tay View Post
    quick answer; no! have a look here: The Importance Of Leaves.
    Wow, not seen that thread before. Nice work Grub!

Thanks

I do trim the lower canopy 2 weeks into 12/12 and I have found it does help the tops and the trimming!

Thanks

thanks guys im not gonna test it out as i dont need anymore fuck ups its my first go and it ,well lets just say its been a learning curve

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,317 Times

good thread and i do see the use of leaves to the plants is a subject that many have debated i have been reading threads on other forums from very competent and long term growers that strip off leaves from veg through to flower and claim to get up to 30 % more yield because of getting more light down to bud sites that would not of come to much without it and stockier plants
    what are your thoughts on that? i would be interested to have some other points of view , i found a few threads on this but more info is always better to have more
    kind regards G-Man

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kegg View Post
    a friend of mine cutts all his big fan leaves off in the 5 week of flower he says they then consentrate on growing the budds more is this true ?
    i look at it this way..would you take out 1 of your lungs to loose weight? no..just tuck them in behind your buds so light can get to them and when there not needed near the end they will fall off naturally

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,596 Times

my thoughts have always been; cutting leaves = wounding the plant... in veg; some energy that could be spent on growth is now directed at healing these wounds to stop infection. in flowering, when growing new leaves to replace those lost is not the main concern of the plant; by cutting leaves, you are simply reducing the plant's ability to produce new flowers. i'm happy to listen to the other side of the debate, these are just some views that i've picked up along the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast