Thread: Understanding Hydro system? HELP!!!!

Thanks

Default Understanding Hydro system? HELP!!!!

Afternoon everyone,

I did post this in the novice forum but it was missed so i decided i would come to the correct forum and hopefully some of you guys can help me suss it.

I am torn between either the IWS flood'n'drain system or the 4pot bubble pots.

Now what i am needing help with is to understand how they work... i have done lots of reading and have come up with this, as far as i can see..

The IWS system uses the large res and brain pot to basically flood the 6 buckets? now are there any airpump? or airstones on a F&D system? and how does the nute get pumped back into the res?

With the bubble pots i can gather that the pots and constantly filled to just below the net pot with nute solution?
    The bubble pots each contain an airstone which is on 24/7? with 2 airstones in the main res?
    Now how does the water get to the pots to keep them constantly at the same volume?

Am i right in thinking that the IWS F&D is a re-circulating system? so pumps into the pots. then drains back to the res? or the brain pot? if so does it use 2 pumps? and am i right in thinking that the bubble pots have a feed pump into each pot, an airline and nothing else? so water can only enter the bubble pots where it is aerated then topped up when needed?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions but i am having trouble getting my head around it all so figured it would be easier to actually ask people who use these things.

Many thanks guys

Thanks

Well I'm using a ebb and flood system
    It has 2 pumps 1 for flooding the buckets and 1 for bringing water back to the reservoir
    It didn't come with a airpump or any thing 2 use airstones with but I did add 1 to the reservoir
    Idk if any of this helps lol but some1 with more knowledge will get n touch with ya good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thattimeofyear4 For This Useful Post:

Mr.Scruffles (22-02-11)

Thanks

Many thanks mate, really appreciate it.

Quick Q! so there is one pump in the res pumping the nutes to the buckets where it stays for lets say 15mins then another pump located in the res pumps all the nute out of the pots and back into the res?
    Also would be adding an air pump to the res along with a heater just incase (house we have just moved into has storage heaters and no central heating so gets extremely cold at night)

Boxteroid Champion! Crazy Cars Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,305 Times

I know what you mean about confusion, lol. Its a bit complicated to take in all at once.
    I found looking at grow diaries really helped, and going to a decent grow shop to see comparisons side by side.
    Sounds to me like you have the basics down though.

Thanks

Cheers fella, have done my homework and would like to think i know the basics but its just all the feedlines, airlines and all the other lines involved in hydro.

I have a local grow shop but they are stupidly overpriced and generally not very nice people which makes it a shame as i would love to support a local business and get some advice but i guess ive got you guys and girls instead.