Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Hempy Bucket

Thanks

The roots don't root cause the res doesn't sit there for long enough. Most root rot comes from lack of oxygen, every time you water the buckets the water gets oxygenated. Also it works as a wick method as the water evaporates up into/gets pulled up by the vermiculite.

That's my understanding of it.
    Everything I post on this forum is a work of fiction and is for entertainment purposes only.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neph For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,317 Times

Quote Originally Posted by TC-UP View Post
    Hi nice description, can you just clarify for me.
    The basic principle is to have a high ratio medium of 1 third each soil, vermiculite and perlite. This is used in a container that has a drainage hole about 2 inches from the base. You then use a nutrient rich food to water. This allows a reserve of solution to be kept in the bottom of the pot.
    What prevents rotting in the roots?
    no not soil it holds far to much water the ratio 3 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite or you can use coco and you put perlite in the res up to the drain hole then coco for the rest of it and yes you have the principled
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Mystic View Post
    ^^ that is something I always wondered about hydro grows, why dont the roots rot? especially in a passive sysytem like hempy buckets where the water isnt agitated while it sits in the res
    neph has it the water isnt in the buckets long enough to cause and problems its best to let the buckets go quite dry which you know by the weight of the buckets
    and there is plenty of oxygen in all the little air gaps in the medium
    Quote Originally Posted by Neph View Post
    The roots don't root cause the res doesn't sit there for long enough. Most root rot comes from lack of oxygen, every time you water the buckets the water gets oxygenated. Also it works as a wick method as the water evaporates up into/gets pulled up by the vermiculite.

That's my understanding of it.
    and you would be right with that spot on

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-20), jibbers (19-11-11), Skorchem (27-08-11), TC-UP (31-03-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,365 Times

Cheers for clearing that up.

Might have a go, do you "pot up" ?

TC

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TC-UP For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-20)

Thanks

Some people do, I think G-man does.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neph For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-20)

Thanks

yes i start in cut off 2 L pop bottles i did start in smaller plastic cups but i like to water less so the bigger 1L pots are much better but if you have the room put them in the final buckets it saves the few days you have to wait until the roots hit the res and you get great growth again.
    i start seeds in jiffy's and when the roots show they go in to the 1 L pots i put the drain hole 1.25 inches from the bottom and and you need to feed lightly i use a ec of .7/8 and raise it every few waterings by a point or to what ever the plants have told me , it doesn't take long to get the hang of what the plants are doing and needing, hydroponics is much easier to control i feel than soil and the plants respond quickly . ive found you can grow a plant quite big in a 1L pot up to 13inches easily
    i also cover my 1L bottle pots with wide black tape ive read it is to stop the light causing algae how necessary that is i cant say another thing ive noticed is that with a 2/1 mix you get a bit of discolouration on the surface when if you use 3/1 you don't, i put this down to the vermiculite holds more water and that might breed algae but it doesn,t cause any problems the plants grow the same
    hope this helps any more questions just ask
    regards G

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

dirty dude (02-04-11), GEORGE (26-11-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    yes i start in cut off 2 L pop bottles i did start in smaller plastic cups but i like to water less so the bigger 1L pots are much better but if you have the room put them in the final buckets it saves the few days you have to wait until the roots hit the res and you get great growth again.
    i start seeds in jiffy's and when the roots show they go in to the 1 L pots i put the drain hole 1.25 inches from the bottom and and you need to feed lightly i use a ec of .7/8 and raise it every few waterings by a point or to what ever the plants have told me , it doesn't take long to get the hang of what the plants are doing and needing, hydroponics is much easier to control i feel than soil and the plants respond quickly . ive found you can grow a plant quite big in a 1L pot up to 13inches easily
    i also cover my 1L bottle pots with wide black tape ive read it is to stop the light causing algae how necessary that is i cant say another thing ive noticed is that with a 2/1 mix you get a bit of discolouration on the surface when if you use 3/1 you don't, i put this down to the vermiculite holds more water and that might breed algae but it doesn,t cause any problems the plants grow the same
    hope this helps any more questions just ask
    regards G
    Perfect bit of info for me, thank you mate, cant wait to give it a go!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dirty dude For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-20)

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to growing and would like to start with a hempy bucket grow. I need to keep costs down and this looks like the best method of hydroponic growing for the serious spendthrift! I've started my seeds, these are from a mates stash and I've no idea what they are or if they'll be male or female, in soil, largest seedling is still only 3", is there any problem transferring these to a hempy system?

Also, I've been reading about nutrients and like the idea of using the powdered ones supplied by GH, they should be cheaper on the P&P and I believe have a longer shelf life than liquid based nutes, but I'm struggling to find out where to purchase them, can anyone nudge me in the right direction.

Finally and sorry about the q's, what's the best method of testing for nutrient PH, I guess you guys would use a meter but are the cheap ones you can get on the bay for a tenner or less any good or do I need to outlay a little more and get myself something better, again tight budget to consider but I do intend to continue growing so I'm prepared to spend a bit on the items I'll be able to reuse?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpyturnip For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-20)

Thanks

you can transfer to hempy at any time you can wash the soil off under the tap or in a bucket and if in jiffys just plant them in the hempy i grow my seedling in jiffy plugs the root dont have to be super clean a bit of soil left on them is fine
    i dont know much about dry nutes but ive read good things and yes they are cost affective if you buy them in the right amounts i would think ive seen them mostly on us sites im sure some one must know of them
    i use a cheap ebay meter it cost 12 quid i think and came with control bases to calibrate it which you need to do before use
    mine was way out
    you can get the liquid PH test kit but it not a great way to do it and not accurate at all
    i just found the perfect starter pots in the 99p shop see my post in hempy forum
    i also use the cheap ec meter from ebay and its fine for me
    G

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-20), grumpyturnip (03-04-11)

Thanks

nice one man, you learn something new every day and all that shit
    you build blidge, you build blidge now

Diddy's Trifle

Diddy's Church Scrog

Diddy does butane oil

18. The Following User Says Thank You to diddymao For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-20)

Thanks

lol thats very true

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post: