Thread: Knowing when the plants at right distance from light???

Thanks

Default Knowing when the plants at right distance from light???

Ok so ive been having probs forever lol! But now im wondering how you guys measure distance from light effectively.
    My problem is that being 400w Lumatek cupboard based i think adds issues in this area.
    Now this sounds daft but do you guys make sure its far away enough that theres NO discolouration (bleachng?) of the laeves etc?
    I think my problem is that i allow it near enough for this kind of damage to take effect,yellowing etc. But i think i just allow it as its not THAT bad but the end crop is not great so its OBVIOUSLY doing ALOT of damage despite my relaxed manner!
    I know im asking real beginners stuff here but dude needs it lol!
    My plants also lack odour (OG Kush reserva prevarda...) but one thats just stuck in the corner,that lacks as much light contact as the rest DOES smell lovely and the plants got no bleaching,just nice healthy dark green leaves hence my query on my old,faithful site THCT!
    Do you need to make sure the plant remains the same healthy green,is that a good measure for correct distance? Near enough to be effective but just far away enough to insure the plants healthy colour etc remains intact.
    Please no advice on changing lights etc,i know it can work i just need advice on distance as ive seen some people state its not that important and shouldnt really effect overall results.
    Thanks as always.
    It aint rocket science

Thanks

The right distance should be can be felt with the back of your hand mate, if it doesnt burn you as if its uncomfortable to keep there for 30 secs, then thats where your plants want to be , so they recieve max lumens
    If you found this useful - Press the thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Green Giant For This Useful Post:

Gavihawk (27-04-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Giant View Post
    The right distance should be can be felt with the back of your hand mate, if it doesnt burn you as if its uncomfortable to keep there for 30 secs, then thats where your plants want to be , so they recieve max lumens
    Yeah ive tried that one and yet i still get faded leaves etc,it seems like the ones that are slightly out of the way that come out best,ive always found this to be the case,im sure it is heat/light stress yet i keep temps down and humidity.The buds themselves always seem to turn out brittle and just not quite right.Ive tried humidity,temps,mites allsorts but i still get dull results.This time same as usual,no odour,faded/bleached leaves (despite hand/temp test),not alot but its only very low down or in shaded area that the plant still has its FULL deep green,healthy colour.Do you guys keep an eye for colour changes? I was hoping someone might just say if its fading the leaves then its too near yet its not that hot etc? Ive used a cooltube but tbh i found it to not benefit considerably considering the doors are wide open during lights on.I have a 125 RVK extracting 14/7 and a 100 intake 24/7,.So you see i am tryng guys! I feel im so close to REAL results that i can taste it and its beena long saga for me lol!
    Cheers.

Thanks

Are you sure its not just the leaves changing colour as they do naturally in the later flowering stages ? I always have the hps closer than desired to the top of my plants as i dont have alot of head height but it has never effected my buds, although with most strains 2weeks before chop and dont have many green leafs left on my plants, but that is not down to the light being to close.

Thanks

Good point to make dude,nice one BUT i have other plants of exact same age with no loss what so ever due to being off to the side of the main focus and they are only 1 month in.Its bloody annoying especially when no one seems to get iwhy?

Thanks

What about a desk fan blowing across the top of the canopy ? height is a probs for me mate i have to adapt to it tho as i have no choice but to use the small grow space i have. I have to do a few things every grow and if i dont then the top of the plants will get burnt , turn a yellow/brown and crumble away. What i have to do is pick a short/med size strain and then veg it for 10days and force it to flower. If i veg then for longer they get to big!! Then i put screws around the tops of my pots and tie the plant down to the screws using elastic bands, it grows in an S shape, i tie it down again if it grows to close to the lamp. eventually the growth almost stops and the buds fill out. Pain in the ass but the only way i could do it in my grow space.

heading for the North pole with my HPS and extention lead
    Thanks

i have similar to you, 400watt hps and small cuboard 1 m x 50cm. the way i see it is what do you want from your plants? do you want the tops to be best or the rest of the canopy to develope more lower down?

i have experimented with my current grow with the light distance and have come to the conclusion that, the closer i have my light (6 inchs from tops with a osc fan dispersing heat) to the tops. I will suffer that bleaching and probably ruin half inch maybe less of the top colas but at a cost of maturing and creating better buds further down. so on the hole the bits i lose from the tops are more than made up for the better bigger buds at the dense canopy level where the light just wouldnt have been giving them the lumens they would have if i had highered the light just to have nice tops. Not saying this the right way just imo from what i have seen on this grow.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerMelly For This Useful Post:

ddsdavey (02-04-11), lambert29 (01-04-11)

Thanks

Never looked at it that way mate but good point!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lambert29 For This Useful Post:

RogerMelly (01-04-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,269 Times

having similar problems at the mo

put mine down to possible MG deficiency

have you given them any epsoms?
    ...the never ending journey on the edge of time...

Five years, not banned yet!

Thanks

There on hydro,GHE M,G,B.
    Thanks Roger dude THATS what i needed to hear,yours is exactly how mine is even down to damaged tops! It must be something cupboard growers using HPS suffer which explains why everyone else offers (valid) generic hints. Oh well ill just have to put it down to proximity and a bit of GREED,it had to be 400w at least,greed!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ddsdavey For This Useful Post:

RogerMelly (02-04-11)